Japanese 'Herbivore' Men

I heard of this phenomenon for the first time.
Japan already has dramatic demographic problems.
Now they have a generation of wanna-be girls that don't value 'physical relationships' (a quote from the researcher in Article).

A sociologist from a Tokyo university says:
About half of men aged 20 to 34 (...) are unmarried and only 20 per cent of them have girlfriends. Thirty per cent (...) have never had a girlfriend in their lives.
Girly men of Japan just want to have fun - Times Online

This lifestyle seems to be a mass-movement.

1.jpg

I heard of this phenomenon for the first time.
Japan already has dramatic demographic problems.
Now they have a generation of wanna-be girls that don't value 'physical relationships' (a quote from the researcher in Article).

A sociologist from a Tokyo university says:
About half of men aged 20 to 34 (...) are unmarried and only 20 per cent of them have girlfriends. Thirty per cent (...) have never had a girlfriend in their lives.
Girly men of Japan just want to have fun - Times Online

This lifestyle seems to be a mass-movement.

1.jpg

Are there just not enough women, ekrem? I have heard the "only one baby" rule in China has created a generation where men outnumber women to a huge degree.

Are there just not enough women, ekrem? I have heard the "only one baby" rule in China has created a generation where men outnumber women to a huge degree.

I really don't know, I never dived into Japanese culture that much.
This is what I've found.
Japan's child population drops to record low Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

It's really no rosy future for Japan without robots or massive immigration.
Very pity, that a nation decides to play a lesser role in the world by free will.

I really don't know, I never dived into Japanese culture that much.
This is what I've found.
Japan's child population drops to record low Japan Today: Japan News and Discussion

It's really no rosy future for Japan without robots or massive immigration.
Very pity, that a nation decides to play a lesser role in the world by free will.

Amazes me that young people anywhere would freely embrace a sexless life.

Considering that having sex, particularly with many different promiscuous people, can kill you...

HIV-AIDS-map.gif

...via HIV (among others), I know many young adults who are voluntarily reducing sexual activity. I have a very strong sex drive, but I do not act on it precisely for this reason...I would rather stay disease-free for my future children.

Last edited:
Considering that having sex, particularly with many different promiscuous people, can kill you...

HIV-AIDS-map.gif

...via HIV (among others), I know many young adults who are voluntarily reducing sexual activity. I have a very strong sex drive, but I do not act on it precisely for this reason...I would rather stay disease-free for my future children.

Go to Japan

Japan is relatively disease free.

4021234396_510c256ece_o.jpg

Last edited:

Surely you safely have sex somehow, eagleseven?

Yes, eagleseven, we're worried about you.

Go to Japan

Well, I meant safely have sex with Americans, Samson. I hate to think I am doomed to die of AIDS....that is one hellaious way to go.

Go to Japan

Well, I meant safely have sex with Americans, Samson. I hate to think I am doomed to die of AIDS....that is one hellaious way to go.

I think you'll be OK as long as you're not sharing needles with your partner, or allowing him to travel up the dirt road.

Go to Japan

I think you'll be OK as long as you're not sharing needles with your partner, or allowing him to travel up the dirt road.

I am careful. I use condoms and get tested, but it is upsetting to read a medical man like eagleseven say that might not be enough, yanno?

I am careful. I use condoms and get tested, but it is upsetting to read a medical man like eagleseven say that might not be enough, yanno?

There are no guarantees.

I hope eagleseven doesn't drive a car:eek:

I am a little biased, given that I do STD and blood unit testing for a living...

...but I'm not naive enough to assume that the odds will never catch up with me. All the teen mothers I see, and the *shockingly* STD-infected patients, remind me of this.

I am paid to risk exposure to some of the most dangerous pathogens known to man in the lab...why I should further expose myself for a cheap thrill?

I hope eagleseven doesn't drive a car
When was the last time you handled HIV+ or Hepatitis+ blood with nothing but a pair of latex gloves protecting you?

I've played with fire, and I'm damned lucky to be alive.

I think we're having a generational disconnect here. How many women do you know who had their second abortion by age 17? Who lie about their herpes infection because they're desperate and lonely? Who will fuck an abusive older man for drug money, yet not consider themselves sex workers?

How many men do you know who only like it raw? Who get women drunk so they won't notice the lack of a condom, 'because shes on the pill anyways'? Who lie about their virgin status so she won't think he's infected?

When was the last time you couldn't remember who the father might be?

---

Maybe I'm just cynical, or maybe I've seen too many lives ruined for cheap thrills.

Last edited:
Find a long-term partner, stick with him, and pray he's not banging random men in bathrooms or hiring prostitutes behind your back.

The more people you include in your circle-of-sex, the greater the risk that one will go and do something stupid.

HIV in the elderly. [AIDS Patient Care STDS. 1998] - PubMed result

Greater than 10% of persons with AIDS in the United States are over 50 years of age, and the number of elderly persons in their 60s and 70s living with HIV/AIDS is increasing. Contrary to the perceptions of some within the health-care community and the general population, the elderly are at risk for HIV infection and carry a high mortality if diagnosed. Many older persons with AIDS are less likely to practice safe sex; others go undiagnosed and therefore untreated due to perceptions that the elderly are not at high risk for HIV infection, and treatments may be less efficacious. As age increases, the incidence of mortality does as well; 37% of individuals 80 years and older have been reported to die within a month of diagnosis.

Forum List

Back