Japan to demand reduce UN budget contribution

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
ECO-JAPAN-UN-BUDGET

TOKYO, Oct 3 (KUNA) -- Japan, the second biggest financier of the UN, has decided to seek a reduction of up to five percentage points in its contribution to the UN budget for 2007 through 2009, a major business daily here reported Monday.

With its prospects for obtaining a permanent seat on the UN Security Council increasingly grim, Tokyo plans to negotiate a reduction during a review session for the UN budget formula slated to begin next March, the Nikkei Shimbun said. Japan is the second largest contributor to the United Nations after the US, accounting for 19.5 percent of its budget. The US pays 22 percent.

The other four permanent Security Council members -- the UK, France, China and Russia -- pay a combined 15 percent, below the percentage imposed on Japan. China gets a break due to its developing-nation status. With the US and other countries being unable to agree on a single UN reform plan, Japan's long-running effort to become a permanent Security Council member is unlikely to bear fruit. By demanding the cut, the government plans to show its displeasure at having to share a heavy burden disproportionate to its influence over the international body, according to the report. The due assessments, which are based on each member nation's gross national income for the past nine years, are reviewed every three years. The current amounts were set in December 2003.

If Japan's contribution rate is lowered by five percentage points, the annual amount will drop roughly JPY 10 billion (USD 91 million) from the current JPY 39 billion (USD 355 million).(end) mk.

http://www.kuna.net.kw/home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=775414

will this be dead for UN?
If Japan does not come into Security Council, they will cut their payngs....

What will Germany do when Japan makes such a step. When Germany reduces their payings, too, its definitive end to UN. Nothing more than a debate-club then.

canavar said:
ECO-JAPAN-UN-BUDGET

TOKYO, Oct 3 (KUNA) -- Japan, the second biggest financier of the UN, has decided to seek a reduction of up to five percentage points in its contribution to the UN budget for 2007 through 2009, a major business daily here reported Monday.

With its prospects for obtaining a permanent seat on the UN Security Council increasingly grim, Tokyo plans to negotiate a reduction during a review session for the UN budget formula slated to begin next March, the Nikkei Shimbun said. Japan is the second largest contributor to the United Nations after the US, accounting for 19.5 percent of its budget. The US pays 22 percent.

The other four permanent Security Council members -- the UK, France, China and Russia -- pay a combined 15 percent, below the percentage imposed on Japan. China gets a break due to its developing-nation status. With the US and other countries being unable to agree on a single UN reform plan, Japan's long-running effort to become a permanent Security Council member is unlikely to bear fruit. By demanding the cut, the government plans to show its displeasure at having to share a heavy burden disproportionate to its influence over the international body, according to the report. The due assessments, which are based on each member nation's gross national income for the past nine years, are reviewed every three years. The current amounts were set in December 2003.

If Japan's contribution rate is lowered by five percentage points, the annual amount will drop roughly JPY 10 billion (USD 91 million) from the current JPY 39 billion (USD 355 million).(end) mk.

http://www.kuna.net.kw/home/Story.aspx?Language=en&DSNO=775414

will this be dead for UN?
If Japan does not come into Security Council, they will cut their payngs....

What will Germany do when Japan makes such a step. When Germany reduces their payings, too, its definitive end to UN. Nothing more than a debate-club then.

The UN lost real significance shortly after the Korean Conflict, the one time it actually acted.

as a construct which represented power-structure after WW2 which is now outdated.

Suborganizations like Unicef, UN World heritage (buildings) and soon are good achievements under UN.

I can understand US sceptism of UN but i can not see an alternative to it.

Nice to see a Country has the balls to step up and say, :finger: you UN!
I wish my Country would do the same. Oh, wait, I think we did make a reduction of some kind. We just left out the ":finger:" part, to bad.

Yes but Japan only saying "F***" because they are refused by China leveling-up into permanent Security-Council Member with Veto-rights.

UN doesn't need anymore veto-powers. Then it would be unmanagebale with dirty tricks "i will veto you here, and i will veto you here and soon"...

canavar said:
Yes but Japan only saying "F***" because they are refused by China leveling-up into permanent Security-Council Member with Veto-rights.

UN doesn't need anymore veto-powers. Then it would be unmanagebale with dirty tricks "i will veto you here, and i will veto you here and soon"...
Yea, yer right..none of that happens now. :eek:

Forum List

Back