Japan and Myanmar’s Toxic Friendship

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Myanmar offered the starving Japanese people affordable rice in the early 1950s, when Japan was struggling to recover from World War II. Japan is paying the people back by supporting Myanmar’s apartheid regime against the Rohingya.

The 2016-17 violence that bore the hallmarks of genocide was only a tip of the iceberg of the Myanmar government’s longstanding discriminatory policies. Marzuki Darusman, the head of the UN Independent International Fact-Finding Mission on Myanmar, stated in October 2019 that Myanmar is still failing to prevent, investigate, and effectively criminalize genocide. The threat of extreme violence recurring is real. Myanmar has perpetrated rounds of violence since the 1970s, and the international community failed to protect the Rohingya every time.
Japan and Myanmar’s Toxic Friendship

Japan is not the first country to turn a blind eye out of convenience.

Japan supports Myanmar in a time of need when Myanmar was threatened by Rohingya hoards.
I support both nations on this matter.

I wonder if Mary Louise Kelly could point to Myanmar on a map?

Japan supports Myanmar in a time of need when Myanmar was threatened by Rohingya hoards.

You support genocide? Geez.
I support national sovereignty...the Rohingya were non-citizen invaders. The Myanmar government took the steps needed to rid themselves of roaches.

No. They were not. When Burma was liberated, they were one of the many ethnic groups that were part of the original coalition and were citizens. Myanmar is going after a number of ethnic minorities, including many of the hill tribes. They have one of the worst human rights records in the world and if your definition of national sovereignty includes genocide of a minority that has been there for centuries you kind of pathetic. No surprise there.

I support national sovereignty...the Rohingya were non-citizen invaders. The Myanmar government took the steps needed to rid themselves of roaches.

No. They were not. When Burma was liberated, they were one of the many ethnic groups that were part of the original coalition and were citizens. Myanmar is going after a number of ethnic minorities, including many of the hill tribes. They have one of the worst human rights records in the world and if your definition of national sovereignty includes genocide of a minority that has been there for centuries you kind of pathetic. No surprise there.

They are not Burmese. They are Bangladeshi. They are not citizens. The country has a SOVEREIGN right to defend its borders does it not?

I forget his name, but a former official in the Burmese government once said something to the effect of "My country was so much happier and peaceful when it was under British rule."

I suspect that some (many?) people In various Asian and African countries miss the "colonialists."

They are not Burmese. They are Bangladeshi. They are not citizens. The country has a SOVEREIGN right to defend its borders does it not?

They were citizens, until the Myanmar government decided to strip them of their citizenship prior to attempted genocide.

Hmm...what if the American government did that? Decided that people of Dutch ancestry weren't citizens any more? Or some other ethnic group? That's ok right?

They were citizens, until the Myanmar government decided to strip them of their citizenship prior to attempted genocide.

Hmm...what if the American government did that? Decided that people of Dutch ancestry weren't citizens any more? Or some other ethnic group? That's ok right?
Well that’s not possible here as we are not Myanmar. Apples and oranges. Myanmar is a sovereign state free to do as they choose. People like you feel you are superior. Sad.

Forum List

Back