Janet Yellen: Good choice, or too soon to tell?

AdelanteGOP

Rookie
Nov 1, 2013
Hello,
I am an Economics teacher at a small high school in Northern California. In class tomorrow, my students are going to respond to this thread with their original thoughts regarding Yellen's new post as Chair. We've been busy studying the FED, and are taking a field trip to the SF Fed on Thursday.

I'm needing the ideas of everyone in Cyberspace to get us going and to give us the "food for thought".

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts or ideas you might have of what high school seniors should take away from learning about the FED would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Econ Teacher

Hello,
I am an Economics teacher at a small high school in Northern California. In class tomorrow, my students are going to respond to this thread with their original thoughts regarding Yellen's new post as Chair. We've been busy studying the FED, and are taking a field trip to the SF Fed on Thursday.

I'm needing the ideas of everyone in Cyberspace to get us going and to give us the "food for thought".

Thanks for reading, and any thoughts or ideas you might have of what high school seniors should take away from learning about the FED would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Econ Teacher

Yellin may be new as chair, but she has a few years as vice-chair so there is a record to go on. "Too soon to tell" might apply to her spokesperson skills, but that's all. As an economist, she has the best forecasting record at the Fed for the past 4+ years.

Since the college students I taught in Money & Banking had no idea what the Fed was, I assume your students are at ground zero too. What materials are you using? The Fed has a 150 page or so very simple book on the history and structure of the Fed that they will ship you multiple copies of for free. Won't help for tomorrow unless you get lucky, but If they have a tour scheduled and you call, they probably have a couple of boxes lying around and can give them out at the end of the tour. It has a real catchy name: "The Federal Reserve".

For my two cents, I would hope the students would learn that the Fed has several different functions:
1. A bank for banks, clearing checks (regional banks), and lender of last resort (NY Fed discount window, repo operations).
2. Author and executor of monetary policy (Open Market Committee, national Fed committee)
3. Bank regulator of large national banks (national Fed)
4. Research hub (regional banks, FRED)
5. Agent for the US Treasury in securities markets

If you get through that, you did a better job than I!

Thanks, Oldfart!
I agree with you about Yellen. I do have the publication. The FED does have a lot of teaching materials for high school. We also look at the research data they publish.

Hello. Yellen I believe is going to be a good choice. She was watching as vice-chair and as oldfart said that would give her some advantages and experience. I would say it is too soon to tell because you never know what the future holds. Seriously in economics.

Its good to have her come and be the next chair because she's already been vice chair and has some experience. But its too soon to know if she can actually take the job into her own hands and be able to do the job right.

to me it seems she has good gols and rilly cares but i bulive it still may be to soon to tell if she will be a good chair person

Forum List

Back