Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Jane Got a Gun (2016) - IMDb

Really looking forward to this one and also:

Free State of Jones
Free State of Jones (2016) - IMDb

Are we seeing a rebirth of the western ?

I must admit I am a traditionalist myself. Dont care much for Spag westerns and tend to prefer the John Wayne,Jimmy Stewart ,Alan Ladd type of movie.
Shane would probably be my favourite.
High Noon, The Searchers,3;10 to Yuma are brilliant films.

I am not a great fan of modern westerns. I find the acting and dialogue to be a bit modish and stylised to ring true. Its like a house style has been imposed on this era and everyone has to play the same way. Check out the Pinkertons and Hatfields and McCoys and you will see it.
I trace this back to Mr Eastwoods "The Unforgiven" which seemed to set the tone in looks and sound for subsequent productions.

I prefer Josie Wales to the Unforgiven, it feels more genuine.

Lonesome Dove is also a great production.

I love Westerns. You should make more.

Free State of Jones

I must admit I am a traditionalist myself. Dont care much for Spag westerns and tend to prefer the John Wayne,Jimmy Stewart ,Alan Ladd type of movie.

I am not a great fan of modern westerns. I find the acting and dialogue to be a bit modish and stylised to ring true. Its like a house style has been imposed on this era and everyone has to play the same way. Check out the Pinkertons and Hatfields and McCoys and you will see it.
I trace this back to Mr Eastwoods "The Unforgiven" which seemed to set the tone in looks and sound for subsequent productions.

I like the old actors myself. Gary Cooper, Robert Mitchum, Jimmy Stewart, Glen Ford, William Holden, John Wayne, a few others.

3:10 to Yuma is great , the one with starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale in the lead roles.

Free State of Jones

3:10 to Yuma was an excellent movie. I'm not much into western's, but there are a few out there that I've enjoyed. :)

Free State of Jones

Actually, the remake of "True Grit" captured the language and cadence of the West better than any of the old films. No use of contractions and very formal speech patterns.

"The Homesman" with Tommy Lee Jones and Hillary Swank might be a bit TOO realistic, and downright depressing.

Free State of Jones

Actually, the remake of "True Grit" captured the language and cadence of the West better than any of the old films. No use of contractions and very formal speech patterns.

"The Homesman" with Tommy Lee Jones and Hillary Swank might be a bit TOO realistic, and downright depressing.

That remake was a bit better.

If only because they had an actor playing the Texas Ranger and not a stiff singer like Glenn Campbell.

But, good as he was, Jeff Bridges is not John Wanye

That remake was a bit better.

If only because they had an actor playing the Texas Ranger and not a stiff singer like Glenn Campbell.

But, good as he was, Jeff Bridges is not John Wanye

Again, the original used modern language and failed to capture the tone of the book. The remake was faithful to the dialogue that Charles Portis crafted. The 1969 film was not. 26 year old Kim Darby was absurd as a 14 year old, and was a crappy actress, and Glenn Campbell couldn't act to save his life.

Free State of Jones

I have that on dvd but I have never watched it as I cant get the subtitles off it. I will have another go. Cheers.

Just been watching The Undefeated with The Duke and Rock Hudson. Good action movie that jars a little in places

We are invited to sympathise with the slave owning Hudson and his comrades whist Wayne turns on his own government by selling horses to Mexico.

It sort of conflicts with his criticism of Gary Cooper for his High Noon performance. Ben Johnson was very under rated as well.

Just watched "Cavalry Charge" with Ronald Reagan. Possibly the worst film ever made. 90 dreary minutes culminating in the yanks and the rebs joining forces to take on the Apaches. Its absolutely mind numbing stuff.

Free State of Jones

It would be a nice break from Super Hero movies...I like them, but we have an awful lot of them now.....

And Westerns are the American Hero film.....

Ever see Rustler's Rhapsody...that was a fun film.....

Outlaw Josey Wales, the last scene in Unforgiven.....my favorites......

Just watched "Cavalry Charge" with Ronald Reagan. Possibly the worst film ever made. 90 dreary minutes culminating in the yanks and the rebs joining forces to take on the Apaches. Its absolutely mind numbing stuff.

Apaches?

What the hell were they doing in Arizona? I've heard of Bullrun, but somehow missed the battle of Tombstone...

Apaches?

What the hell were they doing in Arizona? I've heard of Bullrun, but somehow missed the battle of Tombstone...
The Last Outpost (1951) - IMDb
It had a different title in the US. Geronimo was in it as well.

New Topics

Forum List

Back