Jane Austen novels

Not the films,just the novels.
Anyone else a fan ?

I think that she is the greatest novelist to walk the earth.

Agreed. Pride and Prejudice is the perfect novel. I have read it probably a dozen times at least. Read many of her other works as well.
I prefer Mansfield Park. They get pigeon holed as historical rom com but I see them as morality theses. This is how you should live your life.

Not the films,just the novels.
Anyone else a fan ?

I think that she is the greatest novelist to walk the earth.

Agreed. Pride and Prejudice is the perfect novel. I have read it probably a dozen times at least. Read many of her other works as well.
I prefer Mansfield Park. They get pigeon holed as historical rom com but I see them as morality theses. This is how you should live your life.

I don't know about that. Austen was just a cutting observer of human nature, and could weave a wonderful tale.

Austin gave this world such gifts! She was so astute, and funny, in her viewing of the morals, etiquette, and customs of her day. She lasts through time.

Don't give the films short-shift, though. The BBC did a fine job with both P&P, and with it's highly abridged version of D.H. Laurence's Lady Chatterley's Lover, with Sean Bean doing a fine job as Mellors.

I loved the highly made-up Colin Firth hemming and hawing his way through that gawd-awful marriage proposal to Elizabeth, and her creepy cousin the vicar who couldn't dance properly.

Austin is one of the treasures of western culture. So many years after her death, she remains an icon. Her writing still brings us closer to ourselves.

Forum List

Back