Jan Brewer Campaign Has Ties to Private Prison Co.

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Oh my, this private prison company will rake in money from arrests of those who don't have their IDs.

Lobbyists Tie Brewer Administration To Private Prisons - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

PHOENIX, Ariz. -- Gov. Jan Brewer took center stage last Tuesday night after she officially clenched the Republican nomination. Standing just behind her was a man most Arizonans would not recognize.
He’s Chuck Coughlin, Brewer’s campaign chairman, policy adviser and a lobbyist for the largest private prison company in the country. And he’s one of two people in the Brewer administration with ties to Corrections Corporation of America.
The other administration member is communications director Paul Senseman, a former CCA lobbyist. His wife still lobbies for the company.
<more>

and here comes the DNC smear machine

I have reading about this for months. You don't think it is weird she has so many ties to the private prison company? I don't care who are, if you are taking campaign money from a private prison company,I will have an issue with it.
I have a real issue with all these private prisons popping up and our leaders being involved with them. I have seen many stories where people are getting harsher sentences, or being wrongfully convicted, then sent to a private prison or juvenile facility.

and here comes the DNC smear machine

I have reading about this for months. You don't think it is weird she has so many ties to the private prison company? I don't care who are, if you are taking campaign money from a private prison company,I will have an issue with it.
I have a real issue with all these private prisons popping up and our leaders being involved with them. I have seen many stories where people are getting harsher sentences, or being wrongfully convicted, then sent to a private prison or juvenile facility.

Mixing apples and Gorillas, The Governor has absolutely NO SAY AT ALL in how the Judges in Courts sentence, NO SAY what so all in how the Legislature drafts its laws and votes on them.

States are turning to private jails because of the COST. Because the COURTS are forcing them to release prisoners due to over crowding.

By the way another opportunity missed by you to take to task a leftwinger on assumptions while attacking the right.

Obama has ties to the Corn to Ethanol Industry and as I recall none of you lefty's minded that at all.

Are we talking about that? You are doing the very same thing, you claim I am doing.

Look you fucking RETARD the thread is making a claim that because a Governor has an aide tied to some Business it is bad. I am pointing out that no one on the left minded one whit that Obama has ties to business that gets funding from the Government. You know staying with the theme of the thread?

Obama has ties to the Corn to Ethanol Industry and as I recall none of you lefty's minded that at all.

Are we talking about that? You are doing the very same thing, you claim I am doing.

Look you fucking RETARD the thread is making a claim that because a Governor has an aide tied to some Business it is bad. I am pointing out that no one on the left minded one whit that Obama has ties to business that gets funding from the Government. You know staying with the theme of the thread?

So you admit to doing the very same thing, you are calling me out on?

Cool!

And before you start, I have a real problem with anyone privatizing their prisons.

Cool!

And before you start, I have a real problem with anyone privatizing their prisons.

Now link for me where I have ever claimed to be impartial on any of the matters you keep claiming to be impartial on.

And the Government does not have the money to build as many prisons as they need, they turn to private prisons for the COST. Your link clearly shows that as to why they would privatize the three prisons you were complaining about.

Cool!

Now link for me where I have ever claimed to be impartial on any of the matters you keep claiming to be impartial on.

And the Government does not have the money to build as many prisons as they need, they turn to private prisons for the COST. Your link clearly shows that as to why they would privatize the three prisons you were complaining about.
The prison population went up when we started privatizing prisons. How many people are in private prisons on non violent drug crimes?
How about judges sentencing people much longer than they should be because they are getting money from these private prisons? How about the guy in Texas who didn't even commit a crime, and was put in a private prison?
So I am sorry I have a problem with a State that sells it's prisons to a private company. Then passes a law, that could bring even more prisoners.

Cool!

The prison population went up when we started privatizing prisons. How many people are in private prisons on non violent drug crimes?
How about judges sentencing people much longer than they should be because they are getting money from these private prisons? How about the guy in Texas who didn't even commit a crime, and was put in a private prison?
So I am sorry I have a problem with a State that sells it's prisons to a private company. Then passes a law, that could bring even more prisoners.

Get a clue. States need more prison space. Courts have been, for years, ordering the release early of criminals due to lack of space. We have more prisoners now because we have MORE SPACE to keep them behind bars.

Your full of shit on the claim that the Governor wants to use private companies just to arrest more illegals. Once again the Governor DID NOT draft nor vote on the bill that passed, she simply agreed to sign it.

And you will get no where whining to me about druggies and drug dealers. I do not support the idea we should legalize something simply because we will never erase it.

JUDGES and JURIES decide who is going to jail and not Governors. In fact if you know your Government facts the Judiciary is totally separate from the Executive.

Claiming that some Judge sentences people to prison because the State uses private prisons is paranoid and not supported by reality or the facts.

states need two things, to cut their budgets and to have room in the prisons
privatizing them would help with both

Get a clue. States need more prison space. Courts have been, for years, ordering the release early of criminals due to lack of space. We have more prisoners now because we have MORE SPACE to keep them behind bars.

Your full of shit on the claim that the Governor wants to use private companies just to arrest more illegals. Once again the Governor DID NOT draft nor vote on the bill that passed, she simply agreed to sign it.

And you will get no where whining to me about druggies and drug dealers. I do not support the idea we should legalize something simply because we will never erase it.

JUDGES and JURIES decide who is going to jail and not Governors. In fact if you know your Government facts the Judiciary is totally separate from the Executive.

Claiming that some Judge sentences people to prison because the State uses private prisons is paranoid and not supported by reality or the facts.
Orly? So some judges didn't get in trouble here recently for taking money from private prison companies? How about the guy in Texas?
And how many of those people in prison are in there for non violent drug crimes?

states need two things, to cut their budgets and to have room in the prisons
privatizing them would help with both

They would have room if they stop putting non violent drug offenders in prisons. Sent them to private rehab centers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/americas/23iht-23prison.12253738.html?_r=1

U.S. prison population dwarfs that of other nations
By Adam Liptak
Published: Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population. But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Indeed, the United States leads the world in producing prisoners, a reflection of a relatively recent and now entirely distinctive American approach to crime and punishment. Americans are locked up for crimes &#8212; from writing bad checks to using drugs &#8212; that would rarely produce prison sentences in other countries. And in particular they are kept incarcerated far longer than prisoners in other nations.

Criminologists and legal scholars in other industrialized nations say they are mystified and appalled by the number and length of American prison sentences.

The United States has, for instance, 2.3 million criminals behind bars, more than any other nation, according to data maintained by the International Center for Prison Studies at King's College London.

China, which is four times more populous than the United States, is a distant second, with 1.6 million people in prison. (That number excludes hundreds of thousands of people held in administrative detention, most of them in China's extrajudicial system of re-education through labor, which often singles out political activists who have not committed crimes.)

San Marino, with a population of about 30,000, is at the end of the long list of 218 countries compiled by the center. It has a single prisoner.

The United States comes in first, too, on a more meaningful list from the prison studies center, the one ranked in order of the incarceration rates. It has 751 people in prison or jail for every 100,000 in population. (If you count only adults, one in 100 Americans is locked up.)

The only other major industrialized nation that even comes close is Russia, with 627 prisoners for every 100,000 people. The others have much lower rates. England's rate is 151; Germany's is 88; and Japan's is 63. <more>

Judges in PA take bribes from private prisons | media island international
Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan are said to have received $2.6 million for ensuring that juvenile suspects were jailed in prisons operated by the companies Pennsylvania Child Care and a sister company, Western Pennsylvania Child Care. Some of the young people were jailed over the objections of their probation officers. An estimated 5,000 juveniles have been sentenced by Ciavarella since the scheme started in 2002.

Judges in PA take bribes from private prisons | media island international
Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan are said to have received $2.6 million for ensuring that juvenile suspects were jailed in prisons operated by the companies Pennsylvania Child Care and a sister company, Western Pennsylvania Child Care. Some of the young people were jailed over the objections of their probation officers. An estimated 5,000 juveniles have been sentenced by Ciavarella since the scheme started in 2002.

pennsylvania ain't arizona and pennsylvania child care ain't CCA.

i don't think a couple of illegals arrested in az is gonna make a big diference to CCA's bottom line.

"CCA houses approximately 75,000 offenders and detainees in more than 60 facilities, 44 of which are company-owned, with a total bed capacity of more than 80,000. CCA currently partners with all three federal corrections agencies (The Federal Bureau of Prisons, the U.S. Marshals Service and Immigration and Customs Enforcement), nearly half of all states and more than a dozen local municipalities."

About Us | Corrections Corporation of America

Hey, the private prison business is just another "great growth industry". Just keep passing laws that put people who can't "afford" justice in prison and keep taxing the working class to pay for it!

Forum List

Back