James Murdock Resigns from BSkyB....

Oct 8, 2009
This should thrill the ranting anti-Murdock hordes. Personally, I think it's a wise move. He's keeps his seat on the board, but resigns the Chairmanship.

James Murdoch has resigned his role as chairman of UK satellite broadcaster BSkyB, but will remain on the board.

His father Rupert founded its parent company News Corporation, which had to drop its bid for BSkyB amid a phone-hacking scandal at a UK newspaper.

James Murdoch said in a statement that he did want want BSkyB to be undermined by "matters outside this company".

Sources told Robert Peston, the BBC's business editor, that it was Mr Murdoch's own decision to leave.

Mr Murdoch said on Tuesday: "As attention continues to be paid to past events at News International, I am determined that the interests of BSkyB should not be undermined by matters outside the scope of this company.

"I am aware that my role as chairman could become a lightning rod for BSkyB and I believe that my resignation will help to ensure that there is no false conflation with events at a separate organisation."

BBC News - James Murdoch resigns as BSkyB chairman

Forum List

Back