James Madison's vision

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
When the Constitution was being ratified, James Madison, writing as Publius, sought to allay fears that the new national government would turn into a Leviathan. In the 45th Federalist Paper he emphasized that adoption of the Constitution would create a government of enumerated, and therefore strictly limited, powers. Madison said: “The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined… [and] will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce….” Federal tax collectors, Madison assured everyone, “will be principally on the seacoast, and not very numerous.” Exactly six months after publication of this essay, New York became the 11th state to ratify the Constitution. Is turning over one-sixth of our nation’s economy over to Obama’s super-MedPAC panel in any way consistent with this vision?
From an email, so no link can be posted. I did confirm the words of Madison are true from my copy of The Federalist Papers.

Methinks the framers of the constitution would be fighting mad over how our current government runs roughshod over the constitution they drafted and signed.

The Constitution almost didn't get ratified and we got the 3/5 Doctrine which led into the Civil War and believe me, they knew it was coming, [they didn't live to see it] but made the compromise to get something down on paper and nailed down.

The signers were all staunchly anti-corporation as well.

The Constitution almost didn't get ratified and we got the 3/5 Doctrine which led into the Civil War and believe me, they knew it was coming, [they didn't live to see it] but made the compromise to get something down on paper and nailed down.

The signers were all staunchly anti-corporation as well.

I know Thomas Jefferson saw it coming, but I don't know about the others.

Thomas Jefferson saw a conflict coming, but he hoped that if necessary the states would peacefully depart from one another. Of course, Lincoln destroyed any hope of that.

Back to the topic at hand, the framers of the Constitution would certainly be shocked at how the federal government has gone beyond the scope of the Constitution.

When the Constitution was being ratified, James Madison, writing as Publius, sought to allay fears that the new national government would turn into a Leviathan. In the 45th Federalist Paper he emphasized that adoption of the Constitution would create a government of enumerated, and therefore strictly limited, powers. Madison said: “The powers delegated by the proposed Constitution to the federal government are few and defined… [and] will be exercised principally on external objects, as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce….” Federal tax collectors, Madison assured everyone, “will be principally on the seacoast, and not very numerous.” Exactly six months after publication of this essay, New York became the 11th state to ratify the Constitution. Is turning over one-sixth of our nation’s economy over to Obama’s super-MedPAC panel in any way consistent with this vision?
From an email, so no link can be posted. I did confirm the words of Madison are true from my copy of The Federalist Papers.

Methinks the framers of the constitution would be fighting mad over how our current government runs roughshod over the constitution they drafted and signed.

They would also wonder where our agrarian based economy went and why everyone was living in cities. The constitution was written for conditions of the day. A nation of citizen farmer didn't need a large centralized government. It should also be noted that it was Madison, Adams, and Hamilton--the Federalists--who set government on the course it is today so be careful of which framers you align with. Jefferson is more your man but he dissembled the military (that un-American bastard) so even there you have a shaky ally.

The founders were all products of the Enlightenment and the Age of Reason. Men of reason would predicate their decisions based on conditions of the day and be appalled at a society that abandoned reason in favor of making decisions out of hate and fear.

Those that would truly be your allies would be the Tory conservatives (Irrationalists) whom we sent packing and shouting all the way...

They would also wonder where our agrarian based economy went and why everyone was living in cities. The constitution was written for conditions of the day. A nation of citizen farmer didn't need a large centralized government. It should also be noted that it was Madison, Adams, and Hamilton--the Federalists--who set government on the course it is today so be careful of which framers you align with. Jefferson is more your man but he dissembled the military (that un-American bastard) so even there you have a shaky ally.

The founders were all products of the Enlightenment and the Age of Reason. Men of reason would predicate their decisions based on conditions of the day and be appalled at a society that abandoned reason in favor of making decisions out of hate and fear.

Those that would truly be your allies would be the Tory conservatives (Irrationalists) whom we sent packing and shouting all the way...

They all grew hemp. But the industrialists made that illegal. Now we are chained to petrochemicals and coal.

The OP is entirely overlooking the Tax and Spend wording which was an intentional device set up to let the federal government manipulate the states with cash.

It's great when you zero in on one thing with blinders on, but it doesnt prove anything.

Thomas Jefferson saw a conflict coming, but he hoped that if necessary the states would peacefully depart from one another.
Did he write of the matter? I've not encountered any words of his addressing the matter.

“Whether we remain in one confederacy, or form into Atlantic and Mississippi confederacies, I believe not very important to the happiness of either part. Those of the western confederacy will be as much our children & descendants as those of the eastern, and I feel myself as much identified with that country, in future time, as with this; and did I now foresee a separation at some future day, yet I should feel the duty & the desire to promote the western interests as zealously as the eastern, doing all the good for both portions of our future family which should fall within my power.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to Dr. Joseph Priestly, January 29, 1804

“The future inhabitants of the Atlantic & Mississippi States will be our sons. We leave them in distinct but bordering establishments. We think we see their happiness in their union, & we wish it. Events may prove it otherwise; and if they see their interest in separation, why should we take side with our Atlantic rather than our Mississippi descendants? It is the elder and the younger son differing. God bless them both, & keep them in union, if it be for their good, but separate them, if it be better.” – Thomas Jefferson, letter to John C. Breckinridge, August 12, 1803

Forum List

Back