James A. Garfield

lawbuff

Sep 9, 2009
Died on this day, September 19, 1881.

James A. Garfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The shortest tenure of any President except William Henry Harrison.

Only 43 men have served in this esteem office and 4 were assassinated and there were attempts on some others.

Ohio claims 8 President's as does Virginia. Native born we only have 7, as WHH was born in VA, ergo thier claim, but he grew up in Ohio.

Two of the President's assassinated were native Ohioans, Garfield and McKinley.

I am kind of a history buff, and of course that inlcudes the President's. To date I have been to 18 Presidential gravesites, that is, if we include Jefferson Davis, and many President's homes including Garfield's, Jefferson's and Madison's, to name a few.

JD and James Monroe and John Tyler are all buried in Hollywood cemetery in Virginia.

The Adams' and thier wives are buried in Quincy, MA, and is the only place in the country 2 President's and thier wives are buried "side by side".

George Washington's salary was $25,000.00/yr. George Bush jr was the 1st to make $400,000.00.

25 grand a year in 1789 was BIG bucks!!

Last edited:
How sad that so many of our Presidents have been murdered in office, and how many others had serious attempts made on their lives? That number could easily have been one in four. Sad and strange that we have such a crazy history in that regard.

How sad that so many of our Presidents have been murdered in office, and how many others had serious attempts made on their lives? That number could easily have been one in four. Sad and strange that we have such a crazy history in that regard.

There was even a woman charged in Lincoln's murder. Today it is not so uncommon, but back then, unheard of!!

Mary Todd ended up in a mental hospital.

Mary Todd had some issues before that, but I can't imagine her husband's murder was helpful.

I'm trying to remember how many presidents had serious assassination attempts that failed. Reagan, of course. Both Roosevelts. I think I need more coffee. ;)

Mary Todd had some issues before that, but I can't imagine her husband's murder was helpful.

I'm trying to remember how many presidents had serious assassination attempts that failed. Reagan, of course. Both Roosevelts. I think I need more coffee. ;)

Truman, and Lincoln had one before Booth.

There was "speculation" that Zachary Taylor was poisioned and about 15 years ago he was exhumed and tested for high levels of arsenic, proved untrue.

If it were proven, science would have changed history.

McKinley also had a failed attempt before the one that succeeded.
And didn't somebody try for Wilson?

McKinley also had a failed attempt before the one that succeeded.
And didn't somebody try for Wilson?

Not sure about Wilson wthout looking, McKinley either.

I toured WW's home in DC, the only President with a home there. If we include the Octagon where the Madison's stayed while the WH was being rebuilt, that makes 2 though.

WW is buried in the National Cathedral in DC, saw his tomb also.

Maybe it wasn't Wilson...there was another one about that time though. Or am I thinking of the rumors around Harding's death?

Anyway, I just wonder how our record stacks up against other countries, and why we have so many crazies.

Maybe it wasn't Wilson...there was another one about that time though. Or am I thinking of the rumors around Harding's death?

Anyway, I just wonder how our record stacks up against other countries, and why we have so many crazies.

I have been to Harding's home before, he is also buried in Marion.

Yes, there were rumors his wife poisoned him, quite unsubstantiated.

Dam, I was sure Garfield died chocking on lasagna.

No wonder I only scored a 5% on the History Graduate Record Exam.

Forum List

Back