Jailed Kentucky clerk refusing to back down in gay marriage dispute

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis was divorced three times and had children out of wedlock before experiencing a religious awakening that cemented her obedience to Christian scripture — and her defiance of the country's highest court.

Davis, an Apostolic Christian, says her commitment to her faith came after she found "a message of grace" four years ago when she went to church following the death of her mother-in-law.

advertisement

"I am not perfect. No one is," she said in her statement. "But I am forgiven and I love my Lord and must be obedient to Him and to the Word of God."

She was first married in 1984, when she was 18, and divorced a decade later, court records show. Five months after the marriage dissolved, she gave birth to twins by another man.

In 1996, she married again, and her new husband adopted the twins. They divorced in 2006.

advertisement

The following year, she married the father of her twins. That third marriage lasted less than a year.

In 2009, Davis remarried her second husband, Joe Davis. They remain wed.

One of her lawyers, Mathew Staver of the Christian firm Liberty Counsel, said that most Rowan County taxpayers — who pay her $80,000 annual salary — stand by her.

Kim Davis, Kentucky Clerk Blocking Gay Marriages, Has Had Her Own Marital Strife

Got to love it, the hypocrisy.

Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis was divorced three times and had children out of wedlock before experiencing a religious awakening that cemented her obedience to Christian scripture — and her defiance of the country's highest court.

Davis, an Apostolic Christian, says her commitment to her faith came after she found "a message of grace" four years ago when she went to church following the death of her mother-in-law.

advertisement

"I am not perfect. No one is," she said in her statement. "But I am forgiven and I love my Lord and must be obedient to Him and to the Word of God."

She was first married in 1984, when she was 18, and divorced a decade later, court records show. Five months after the marriage dissolved, she gave birth to twins by another man.

In 1996, she married again, and her new husband adopted the twins. They divorced in 2006.

advertisement

The following year, she married the father of her twins. That third marriage lasted less than a year.

One of her lawyers, Mathew Staver of the Christian firm Liberty Counsel, said that most Rowan County taxpayers — who pay her $80,000 annual salary — stand by her.

Kim Davis, Kentucky Clerk Blocking Gay Marriages, Has Had Her Own Marital Strife

Divorce is a tough habit to kick for conservatives. Just look at Rush.

Whatever happened to

Well+Behaved+Women1.png

Waiting for an answer femitwats.

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

YAWNNNNNNN. Been christian for 4 years. Get over it degenerates. She repented to her god all is forgiven you are all freaks of nature and disgusting scum. Nothing short of death will help homosexuals.

Stand strong Kim! That thug in a robes day will come.
BTW, the faggots (and the law) won again. The first marriage license for a gay couple in her county was issued this morning. Her stand is for nothing...
Yawn. Day of reckoning is coming faggot lover.
No, Sweetcheeks, it isn't. You are going to have to start dealing with reality, soon...

Stand strong Kim! That thug in a robes day will come.
BTW, the faggots (and the law) won again. The first marriage license for a gay couple in her county was issued this morning. Her stand is for nothing...
Yawn. Day of reckoning is coming faggot lover.

How so? Are you going to start another whiny thread riddled with even more foot-stomping? That will show those queers whose boss!

She will make a ton of money off this stunt, she will speak at churches and the slope skulled rubes in jesusland will throw money at her

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

YAWNNNNNNN. Been christian for 4 years. Get over it degenerates. She repented to her god all is forgiven you are all freaks of nature and disgusting scum. Nothing short of death will help homosexuals.

She is probably going to sue, since she can no longer do her job and she can't get fired being an elected nutcase.

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

She is probably going to sue, since she can no longer do her job and she can't get fired being an elected nutcase.
Courts locking up elected officials never goes over well. Wars have been started by less.

advertisement

advertisement

and Newt Gingrich comes to mind.

Last edited:

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

sue for what? that's ridiculous.

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

advertisement

Courts locking up elected officials never goes over well. Wars have been started by less.
elected officials using their office to impose their religious beliefs on the public in defiance of the law doesn't usually ggo well either

Forum List

Back