Jackass: The Game

Lefty Wilbury

Nov 4, 2003
http://psp.ign.com/articles/707/707987p1.html

Jackass
First Look: We wonder if they'll have a mini-game where you shove toy cars up your pooper?
by Nix

May 11, 2006 - Jackass: The Game sounded like a terrible idea to us at first -- a licensed game rushed out in time for a movie based on a reality show -- but seeing it here at E3 2006 makes us not want to eat our own sick rather than play it. Actually, it's turning out to be a pretty cool game, capturing all of dumb-ass sicko behavior of the show with cool gameplay concepts and multiplayer beatdowns. (And BTW, the game has been in the works for months -- the devs didn't know that Jackass was back in filming for the movie until long after it had started the concept.) With a wide range of mini-games and a concentration on physics-based gameplay, it's a game that may shock you in the nuts ... in a good way.

Developer Sidhe and publisher Red Mile have conceived Jackass: The Game as a series of 40 stunt minigames, many of which are directly based on the show and film. Inside each stunt are sub-objectives, unlockables, and other gameplay features to keep you going, and many of the stunt types are playable in multiplayer (up to two on console, as many as four on portable.) 10 Jackasses are here in the game, including mooks like Jonny Knoxville, Steve-O, Bam, and even Weeman (who has his own special set of mini-games -- one we saw was Whac-A-Weeman, where the little fellow stuck his head out of holes in a garbage can and you tried to beat at him with a stick.) The director of the Jackass series is also collaborating on the stunt design, making sure that it's the right kind of moronicness.

You'll recognize a lot of the stunts from the show. San Fran Trash Can has you inside a garbage can, rolling down a hill at full speed trying to pull off jumps (rolling off car trailers) and stunts (including rolling underneath truck trailers) while trying not to get slaughtered by cars or smacked up on buildings or road signs. Another similar one was Downhill Shopping Cart Run, where you ride in one and try to smack each other in the face while riding the stolen carts down the hill. Golf Rally has you driving a golf cart wildly across a mini-golf course, trying to smash stuff while avoiding the cops. The mix includes somewhat-realistic stunts as well as those that are stupidly impossible (even for Jackass) -- one was set on top of a high-rise building, and you raced bumper cars around trying to knock others off the ledge. Many games are themed after classic and recent games, with a Jackass spin -- Snow Job, for instance, has you rolling down a hill inside a snowball, and ala Katamari, you try to roll things up before you smash into the end (the difference here being that you're racing downhill instead of trying to directly control the ball -- the inspirations are there, but it feels different enough to be unique, plus it's fun to play.) There are also sequences like Bus Surfing, Grenade Golf, 4th of July (this should hurt your gonads, we're thinking), Extreme Unicycling, and something called Big Balls.

One cool extra in the game is a Director Mode. If you do some crazy-assed stunts, you can save that to your Memory Card, then go back into that save through Director Mode and, with a simple interface, apply one of a number of cinematic cameras and apply effects such as zoom, slo-mo and more. The concept right now is to even be able to trade those files (particularly on the handheld version) and let others see your sick stunts.

Jackass: The Game is due out this November, for a console system and a portable -- officially, we're not supposed to say the platforms that the game is due out for because of how the game is still in concept approval, but if you are reading this, you can take a flying leap in logic and figure that it's coming for your system. The game will do 2-player on console, and four on portable (with plans for downloadable content that includes full new stunts and areas, plus infrastructure and Game Sharing, if the tech works out -- this is the Sidhe's second game for the ... er, XXX Portable, and they're eager to push things further after the ambitious GripShift.) The game we saw was on a PC-based emulator, but we'll let you know more about it and show some realtime gameplay once we've seen it on the platforms that we're still lying about knowing it'll be on.

My friends totally came up with this idea YEARS ago. Sidhe will be hearing from my lawyers.

I hate to admit it, but the high school kid in me is really excited that they're making another movie. I still think seeing the first one may have been the best time I've ever had seeing a movie in theaters.

that movie was funny. when ryan dunn goes to the doc with the car up his ass. too funny. or the kickboxing match or the butterbean boxing match in the store and on and on

The rent-a-car demolition derby and Bam's 4 AM fireworks wakeup were probably my favorites.

or when they fell through the ceiling and that one guy ran out of the building. that whole movie was funny.

I was gonna say that's the worst game idea ever, except CGW had a little blurb about Desperate Housewives: The Game.

Worst game idea: I saw a preview for Reservoir Dogs the game last night. It fills in all the blanks that the movie was so acclaimed for having.

Forum List

Back