Jack Nicklaus gets Congressional Gold Medal

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
I like golf and i like jack but he's still just a dumb jock whose career had zero social value.. The CGM should go to businessmen and scientists .

Jack Nicklaus awarded Congressional Gold Medal - ESPN

march 24 2015
WASHINGTON -- The Golden Bear got a gold medal.

Congress on Tuesday awarded its highest civilian honor to golfing great Jack Nicklaus, who accepted the medal with a few tears, humility and humor.

In a ceremony in the Capitol Rotunda, the House and Senate leadership bestowed the award on Nicklaus, winner of 18 major championships, including six Masters titles, five PGA championships and four U.S. Opens.

The 75-year-old Nicklaus, dubbed the Golden Bear, recalled the hard work of his parents, praised his family and paid tribute to his wife, Barbara. He recalled that when his son Jack was six, he was asked what his father did for a living. The younger Nicklaus said, "Nothing, he just plays golf."

Teachers. Firemen. Cops. Businessmen. Engineers. Doctors.

Nope. The people who make society function arent honored.

In medieval times...actors and athletes would be seen as the court jesters. Barely clowns. They'd NEVER be as honored or glorified as we do.

For better or worse...we glorify the jesters and ridicule the knights. That empire would be easily conquered.

In medieval times...actors and athletes would be seen as the court jesters. Barely clowns. They'd NEVER be as honored or glorified as we do.

For better or worse...we glorify the jesters and ridicule the knights. That empire would be easily conquered.

I could see an athlete, especially in the Olympics representing the country.

But a golfer is in no way an "athlete". He's basically a celebrity, and only that for highly dubious reasons.

John Kruk, who was notoriously pudgy but had a good swing, was in a diner smoking a cigarette and got berated by a passerby for the idea that an athlete would be so slovenly.

Kruk replied, "I ain't an athlete, lady -- I'm a baseball player".

I could see an athlete, especially in the Olympics representing the country.

But a golfer is in no way an "athlete". He's basically a celebrity, and only that for highly dubious reasons.

John Kruk, who was notoriously pudgy but had a good swing, was in a diner smoking a cigarette and got berated by a passerby for the idea that an athlete would be so slovenly.

Kruk replied, "I ain't an athlete, lady -- I'm a baseball player".

Haha Kruk. Hes right.

Yeah an Olympian maybe.

No offense to Jack. Hes a great man and great golfer. Definitely dont expect him to turn it down.

But...our government glorifies the court jesters and scolds the knights. That castle would be easily conquered.

Forum List

Back