Jack Morris, Alan Trammell Voted Into Baseball Hall Of Fame

The four World Series rings had a lot to do with Morris induction...

Three not four.

Read the article because it state four rings.

Baseball-reference.com says 3.. THINK

Jack Morris Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

As I said again read the damn article you posted!

Why argue with me when the article you posted was wrong!

Next time get your facts straight FIRST, and then make your post. THINK, hater.

Well then post something with the correct information!

Seeing you can not admit you posted the article that stated four rings is not my damn problem!

Maybe you should proof read what you post to make sure the article you are using is correct and if not then do not use it or correct it because it shows you are the bigger moron here!

You have to evaluate players according to the era in which they played. Ruth only hit home runs? Are you a fucking moron? Lifetime batting average over .340!

The HOF means less and less over time. Players who were pretty good are elected all the time.

Nolan Ryan was much better than his numbers. He had a tremendous effect on every game he started. He invariably faced the Ace of the opposing team, and his teammates batted squat behind him. He pitched 7 no-hitters and a thousand one-hitters because he needed to; his teammates just didn't score for him.

Not to mention, he was one of the classiest guys every to play MLB.

Bonds had the best years EVER, steroids or no. He hit all those home runs while the opposing pitchers refused to throw anything over the plate! They were petrified of him. And regardless of the excess muscularity resulting from his use of "substances" you still have to put the bat on the ball. Keeping him out is a disgrace. One of the best ever, even if he was a jerk.

Trammell is ok but morris had a good w-l record and not much else.

Jack Morris, Alan Trammell Voted Into Baseball Hall Of Fame

dec 10 2017 Jack Morris and Alan Trammell were both elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame today, as announced on the MLB Network. The two longtime Tigers greats were voted in via the HOF’s Modern Baseball Era Committee, who weighed the cases of Morris, Trammell and eight others who weren’t originally selected in the traditional writers’ vote. (MLB.com’s Barry M. Bloom has the details on the Modern Era Committee’s composition and process.)

Both Morris and Trammell went the full 15 years on the Baseball Writers’ Association Of America ballot without getting the necessary 75% of the vote necessary for election. Still, both players (as well as the others on the Modern Era Committee’s ballot) had their share of supporters who felt that the duo was long overdue to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Morris won 254 games over his 18-year career, with 14 of those seasons coming in Detroit. While advanced metrics weren’t always keen on Morris’ work, he was a prototypical old-school workhorse, tossing complete games in 175 of his 527 career starts. His most famous outing, in fact, was a complete game on the sport’s biggest stage — Morris tossed 10 shutout innings in Game Seven of the 1991 World Series to help lead the Twins to the championship. That was one of four World Series rings Morris earned during his career, while posting a 3.90 ERA and 2478 strikeouts over his 3824 career innings.

Trammell spent all 20 seasons of his career in Detroit, highlighted by his World Series MVP performance in the Tigers’ championship season in 1984. Trammell hit .285/.352/.415 with 185 homers over 9376 career plate appearances, with six All-Star appearances, four Gold Gloves and three Silver Slugger Awards to his credit. Despite this impressive resume, Trammell’s overall steady play may have actually led to his being underrated in comparison to star shortstops of his era (as recently argued by MLB.com’s Joe Posnanski), hence his long wait for Cooperstown.

uh Trammel was one of the very best shortstop ever.His induction is LONG overdue.Its a travesty of justice that Lou Whitikar wasnt inducted as well.Trammel and Whitikar were the best double play combination in the sport.:mad: Its not only a travesty of justice it took so long for Trammel to be inducted its also a travesy that Whitikar was not included with him and Morris.:mad:

Nolan Ryan was much better than his numbers. He had a tremendous effect on every game he started. He invariably faced the Ace of the opposing team, and his teammates batted squat behind him. He pitched 7 no-hitters and a thousand one-hitters because he needed to; his teammates just didn't score for him.

Bonds had the best years EVER, steroids or no. He hit all those home runs while the opposing pitchers refused to throw anything over the plate! They were petrified of him. And regardless of the excess muscularity resulting from his use of "substances" you still have to put the bat on the ball. Keeping him out is a disgrace. One of the best ever, even if he was a jerk.

Ryan's career era as a percent of league era is just so-so. The idea that he pitched great but had no offensive support is a myth. He never was great and is just a marginal HOFer.

As for Bonds, part of the reason pitchers walked him so much is because he lost his great speed after he bulked up. I do think he belongs in the HOF since he didn't need steroids to get there. He was sensational when he weighed 190. Guys like sosa and mcgwire had HOF stats BECAUSE they were juiced and i'd say keep them out.

uh Trammel was one of the very best shortstop ever.His induction is LONG overdue.Its a travesty of justice that Lou Whitikar wasnt inducted as well.Trammel and Whitikar were the best double play combination in the sport.:mad: Its not only a travesty of justice it took so long for Trammel to be inducted its also a travesy that Whitikar was not included with him and Morris.:mad:

Whitaker was a great fielder and a pretty good hitter. His stats are HOF. Bear in mind though that it's called the Hall of FAME and whit wasn't that famous or highly regarded in his day. He came in 8th in MVP voting in 1983 and that was the ONLY year he got any MVP votes.!!!

The only year he was listed on the HOF he got 3%.

It's bullshit. Dave Concepcion was the best short stop of the astro-turf generation, and even invented the skip throw to first base. 9 time All-star, 5 Gold Gloves, part of the best team of All-time The Big Red Machine. He should be in the Hall before Trammel.

It's bullshit. Dave Concepcion was the best short stop of the astro-turf generation, and even invented the skip throw to first base. 9 time All-star, 5 Gold Gloves, part of the best team of All-time The Big Red Machine. He should be in the Hall before Trammel.

Concepcion was better on defense but he was a weak hitter while trammell and whit were good (not great) hitters.

Concepcion was better on defense but he was a weak hitter while trammell and whit were good (not great) hitters.

Trammell was a 3 time Silver Slugger winner, and Concepcion was a 2-time Silver Slugger winner. Trammell had the benefit of playing in Detroit with a short deck, while Concepcion played in Riverfront which was not a great place for hitters with their high wall at the time. Not to mention, later in his career, in the early to mid 80's, the Reds sucked.

The four World Series rings had a lot to do with Morris induction...

Three not four.

Read the article because it state four rings.

Baseball-reference.com says 3.. THINK

Jack Morris Stats | Baseball-Reference.com
Four. 1984 Tigers, 1991 Twins, 1992 and 1993 Blue Jays. Also the 1991 World Series MVP. His 1991 WS game 7 performance got him in the HoF.

In my humble opinion as much as it is difficult to determine the greatest of all time, I have to say Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle would be up there with the best of them. Though Bonds will get an asterisk.

For pitchers, there are many, Sandy Koufax, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan jump to mind.

Koufax only had 5 good seasons - though those 5 were fantastic. Ryan?? HAHAHA.. He was the anti-koufax. Very long career but no really good years. He never won a CY and never deserved to win one. I think it was tony larussa who called nolan "the most exciting mediocre pitcher in baseball".

Clemens was truly great, maybe the greatest of all.
Nolan Ryan was spectacularly good...despite playing on some TERRIBLE teams. 324 wins, 11x(!) strikeout leader, seven no-hitters, 5714 strikeouts. And...SEVEN FUCKING NO-HITTERS!

He won 40 games in 2 seasons on Angels teams that couldn't hit (16 losses with a 2.28 ERA in one season)...he set an AL record with 329 strikeouts in 1972, but it only stood for one season. (He struck out 383 the next year!) At age 40, he had a 2.76 ERA and 270 strikeouts...but with an 8-16 record on a lousy Astros team.

Last edited:
You have to evaluate players according to the era in which they played. Ruth only hit home runs? Are you a fucking moron? Lifetime batting average over .340!

The HOF means less and less over time. Players who were pretty good are elected all the time.

Bonds cheated. Period, end of story, nothing else matters. The only disgrace is that no pitcher had the stones to put a 98MPH fastball between his eyes.

Bonds went from a guy who hit 38 HRs a year to a guy who hit 70
All because of steroids

In my humble opinion as much as it is difficult to determine the greatest of all time, I have to say Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle would be up there with the best of them. Though Bonds will get an asterisk.

For pitchers, there are many, Sandy Koufax, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan jump to mind.

Koufax only had 5 good seasons - though those 5 were fantastic. Ryan?? HAHAHA.. He was the anti-koufax. Very long career but no really good years. He never won a CY and never deserved to win one. I think it was tony larussa who called nolan "the most exciting mediocre pitcher in baseball".

Nolan Ryan was spectacularly good...despite playing on some TERRIBLE teams. 324 wins, 11x(!) strikeout leader, seven no-hitters, 5714 strikeouts. And...SEVEN FUCKING NO-HITTERS!

He won 40 games in 2 seasons on Angels teams that couldn't hit (16 losses with a 2.28 ERA)...he set an AL record with 329 strikeouts in 1972, but it only stood for one season. (He struck out 383 the next year!) At age 40, he had a 2.76 ERA and 270 strikeouts...but with an 8-16 record on a lousy Astros team.

In my estimation, in terms of being unhittable, Ryan was the best, he simply overpowered guys and did so for a very long time. I saw a documentary and he had to retire because he injured himself after throwing his last fastball in his 40's and if I recall correctly his last pitch was 98 MPH, as a 46 year old!

If he had decided to be a Snowflake like players today, he could have had his pick of the litter and might have won some rings with the Yankees or Oakland or some other team He broke a career SO record that had stood since 1927 and obliterated it in the end. Simply my favourite pitcher, and I'm even happier that he's from Texas, the greatest state in the American union :)

Not even close. Best shortstop on turf was Ozzie Smith. Period, full stop. Ozzie had 13 consecutive Gold Gloves (every year 1980-92), and was a 15x All-Star (1981-92 and 1994-96).

If you elect Jack Morris ....why not Denny McClain and Mickey Lolich?
Okay by me.

However it is too late for both and Denny would never get in, after all his shenanigans.

Lolich was great...and had a very long effective career. He did eat too many donuts.

He won 40 games in 2 seasons on Angels teams that couldn't hit (16 losses with a 2.28 ERA)...he set an AL record with 329 strikeouts in 1972, but it only stood for one season. (He struck out 383 the next year!) At age 40, he had a 2.76 ERA and 270 strikeouts...but with an 8-16 record on a lousy Astros team.

In my estimation, in terms of being unhittable, Ryan was the best, he simply overpowered guys and did so for a very long time. I saw a documentary and he had to retire because he injured himself after throwing his last fastball in his 40's and if I recall correctly his last pitch was 98 MPH, as a 46 year old!

If he had decided to be a Snowflake like players today, he could have had his pick of the litter and might have won some rings with the Yankees or Oakland or some other team He broke a career SO record that had stood since 1927 and obliterated it in the end. Simply my favourite pitcher, and I'm even happier that he's from Texas, the greatest state in the American union :)
98MPH, age 46, with a torn ligament in his shoulder.

Okay by me.

However it is too late for both and Denny would never get in, after all his shenanigans.

Lolich was great...and had a very long effective career. He did eat too many donuts.
Lolich won 3 games in the 1968 World Series and beat Bob Gibson coming off the finest year in pitching history in game 7

Okay by me.

Lolich won three games in the 1968 World Series. All complete games. This has not been done by many. He beat the unbeatable Bob Gibson in game 7.

He won 14 or more games for 10 consecutive seasons....nearly all complete games. 200 or more strike outs seven times...fourth among all left handers.

He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame.

Forum List

Back