Jack Morris, Alan Trammell Voted Into Baseball Hall Of Fame

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Trammell is ok but morris had a good w-l record and not much else.

dec 10 2017 Jack Morris and Alan Trammell were both elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame today, as announced on the MLB Network. The two longtime Tigers greats were voted in via the HOF’s Modern Baseball Era Committee, who weighed the cases of Morris, Trammell and eight others who weren’t originally selected in the traditional writers’ vote. (MLB.com’s Barry M. Bloom has the details on the Modern Era Committee’s composition and process.)

Both Morris and Trammell went the full 15 years on the Baseball Writers’ Association Of America ballot without getting the necessary 75% of the vote necessary for election. Still, both players (as well as the others on the Modern Era Committee’s ballot) had their share of supporters who felt that the duo was long overdue to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Morris won 254 games over his 18-year career, with 14 of those seasons coming in Detroit. While advanced metrics weren’t always keen on Morris’ work, he was a prototypical old-school workhorse, tossing complete games in 175 of his 527 career starts. His most famous outing, in fact, was a complete game on the sport’s biggest stage — Morris tossed 10 shutout innings in Game Seven of the 1991 World Series to help lead the Twins to the championship. That was one of four World Series rings Morris earned during his career, while posting a 3.90 ERA and 2478 strikeouts over his 3824 career innings.

Trammell spent all 20 seasons of his career in Detroit, highlighted by his World Series MVP performance in the Tigers’ championship season in 1984. Trammell hit .285/.352/.415 with 185 homers over 9376 career plate appearances, with six All-Star appearances, four Gold Gloves and three Silver Slugger Awards to his credit. Despite this impressive resume, Trammell’s overall steady play may have actually led to his being underrated in comparison to star shortstops of his era (as recently argued by MLB.com’s Joe Posnanski), hence his long wait for Cooperstown.

Trammell is ok but morris had a good w-l record and not much else.

dec 10 2017 Jack Morris and Alan Trammell were both elected to the Baseball Hall Of Fame today, as announced on the MLB Network. The two longtime Tigers greats were voted in via the HOF’s Modern Baseball Era Committee, who weighed the cases of Morris, Trammell and eight others who weren’t originally selected in the traditional writers’ vote. (MLB.com’s Barry M. Bloom has the details on the Modern Era Committee’s composition and process.)

Both Morris and Trammell went the full 15 years on the Baseball Writers’ Association Of America ballot without getting the necessary 75% of the vote necessary for election. Still, both players (as well as the others on the Modern Era Committee’s ballot) had their share of supporters who felt that the duo was long overdue to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame.

Morris won 254 games over his 18-year career, with 14 of those seasons coming in Detroit. While advanced metrics weren’t always keen on Morris’ work, he was a prototypical old-school workhorse, tossing complete games in 175 of his 527 career starts. His most famous outing, in fact, was a complete game on the sport’s biggest stage — Morris tossed 10 shutout innings in Game Seven of the 1991 World Series to help lead the Twins to the championship. That was one of four World Series rings Morris earned during his career, while posting a 3.90 ERA and 2478 strikeouts over his 3824 career innings.

Trammell spent all 20 seasons of his career in Detroit, highlighted by his World Series MVP performance in the Tigers’ championship season in 1984. Trammell hit .285/.352/.415 with 185 homers over 9376 career plate appearances, with six All-Star appearances, four Gold Gloves and three Silver Slugger Awards to his credit. Despite this impressive resume, Trammell’s overall steady play may have actually led to his being underrated in comparison to star shortstops of his era (as recently argued by MLB.com’s Joe Posnanski), hence his long wait for Cooperstown.

The four World Series rings had a lot to do with Morris induction...

I'm OK with both selections

Both were borderline selections and among the best at their positions

• Banned
The BWAA HOF picks will be announced next month. I think chipper jones and jim thome will make it though the steroid scandal may cost thome some votes. Hope bonds and clemens also get in finally.

Morris was an Alpha Male Ace. He demanded victory and would scowl at his teammates if they made errors behind him. He was money when you needed a win. Appeared to be an ornery type, but was an intense competitor who made everyone around him that much more focused on their jobs.

• Banned
Morris was an Alpha Male Ace. He demanded victory and would scowl at his teammates if they made errors behind him. He was money when you needed a win. Appeared to be an ornery type, but was an intense competitor who made everyone around him that much more focused on their jobs.
Yeah - that's what the morris-lovers always said. "He pitched to the score" and had a so-so ERA because he was willing to give up meaningless runs when his team was ahead 10-1. .

Babe Ruth was a gambler and a fatty
Yes, but he turned the old HR record of 12 to 24 and then a staggering 60. He made the owners many millions and turned baseball into Americas Game.

I think most serious baseball fans would still say ruth was the greatest player of all time. Hard to believe of a guy born in the 1800s but that's baseball.

Yes, but he turned the old HR record of 12 to 24 and then a staggering 60. He made the owners many millions and turned baseball into Americas Game.

I think most serious baseball fans would still say ruth was the greatest player of all time. Hard to believe of a guy born in the 1800s but that's baseball.

Best all time? Not in my books. The guy who changed the game and raised the bar the most? Certainly. Much like Wayne Gretzky did for hockey (or Bobby Orr), Jordan did for basketball. Babe Ruth could hit HR's, that's it. The one wildcard about his status is that he would have been one hell of a pitcher as well, but didn't get to pursue that, he had some stellar numbers when he pitched for Boston before the trade.

In my humble opinion as much as it is difficult to determine the greatest of all time, I have to say Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle would be up there with the best of them. Though Bonds will get an asterisk.

For pitchers, there are many, Sandy Koufax, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan jump to mind.

There will be a few of todays players who could reach the pinnacles some of these guys reached, it will require some championships and dominance though. If the Yankees keep Stanton and lock up Harper next year, along with accepting a luxury tax and try and build that young, core youth of all stars, they could win a few championships over the next decade. A big if of course, it's tough to dominate in baseball.

In my humble opinion as much as it is difficult to determine the greatest of all time, I have to say Barry Bonds, Ted Williams, Lou Gehrig, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle would be up there with the best of them. Though Bonds will get an asterisk.

For pitchers, there are many, Sandy Koufax, Roger Clemens, Nolan Ryan jump to mind.

Koufax only had 5 good seasons - though those 5 were fantastic. Ryan?? HAHAHA.. He was the anti-koufax. Very long career but no really good years. He never won a CY and never deserved to win one. I think it was tony larussa who called nolan "the most exciting mediocre pitcher in baseball".

Clemens was truly great, maybe the greatest of all.

Baseball already was america's game at the time since it was pretty much the only pro sport america had. Boxing was fairly big at the time but football and basketball didn't take off till around 1960.

Three not four.

Read the article because it state four rings.

Baseball-reference.com says 3.. THINK

Jack Morris Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

As I said again read the damn article you posted!

Why argue with me when the article you posted was wrong!

Maybe you should correct the article because that was what I was going off of!

So you should think first and correct your damn op!

Three not four.

Read the article because it state four rings.

Baseball-reference.com says 3.. THINK

Jack Morris Stats | Baseball-Reference.com

As I said again read the damn article you posted!

Why argue with me when the article you posted was wrong!

Next time get your facts straight FIRST, and then make your post. THINK, hater.

Forum List

Back