Jack Layton has died and we have lost a rare honest politician

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
I didn't agree with Jack Layton on anything. He was left wing all the way. But he was a rare commodity in the political world.

Jack was honest about his policies. He never dodged a question. You always knew where you stood with him. And his policies were never about "power". He believed. And you knew and trusted he was telling the truth.

I could respect him.

He campaigned for his party with prostate cancer with such bravery. And he successfully won the NDP the title of the Official opposition.

This is a sad day.

And he was one of those people that was just so damn likable despite your political differences and he was always civil.

I'll try to get his obituary up quickly.The news just broke.

RIP Jack.

Last edited:
OBITUARY: Jack Layton's legacy as a fighter

When Jack Layton told Canadians on July 25 that he was facing a new battle with cancer, he made sure to inject notes of hope and optimism into his sombre news.

He said he had always tried to bring those qualities to his work in politics and he would apply them to the personal battle he was undertaking, following a new cancer diagnosis he received a week earlier.

The 61-year-old leader of the Official Opposition announced he was stepping away from the job, a role he coveted and had won only two months earlier, to concentrate on his cancer treatment so he could come back to Parliament in the fall, ready to fight for Canadian families.

Layton died early Monday at home surrounded by his family and loved ones.

"We deeply regret to inform you that the Honourable Jack Layton, leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada, passed away at 4:45 am today, Monday August 22. He passed away peacefully at his home surrounded by family and loved ones. Details of Mr. Layton’s funeral arrangements will be forthcoming," said a statement from Layton's wife, Olivia Chow, a fellow NDP MP, and Layton's children Michael and Sarah.

Jack Layton, who led the federal NDP to its best showing ever in the spring election, has died. Layton had battled prostate cancer and fought the election campaign while recovering from a hip operation. Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press
Fighting with hope and optimism was a recurring theme in Layton's life. Long before his battles with cancer, Layton had developed a reputation as a fighter – a determined, goal-oriented, passionate one who would take on a cause and not let go.

In his teens in the 1960s, he led a fruitless bid to have a youth centre built in his hometown of Hudson, Que. Later, as a community organizer and activist in Toronto, and then in his political work, Layton showed a passion for such issues as the environment, AIDS, poverty, violence against women, public transportation and homelessness.

That last area of interest led him to write a book, Homelessness: The Making and Unmaking of a Crisis, which was published in 2000. He was also the author of Speaking Out: Ideas That Work for Canadians (2004).

Layton also fought for aboriginal issues, and was given credit by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2008 for his role in shaping the federal government's apology for the residential school system.

As longtime New Democrat and union leader Al Cerilli told CBC News in an interview several years ago, "Good or bad, he's on the front page, he's in your face," he said. "Jack is not shy, he is of that nature, of bringing the things out and putting them on the front page."

He said he had always tried to bring those qualities to his work in politics and he would apply them to the personal battle he was undertaking, following a new cancer diagnosis he received a week earlier.

The 61-year-old leader of the Official Opposition announced he was stepping away from the job, a role he coveted and had won only two months earlier, to concentrate on his cancer treatment so he could come back to Parliament in the fall, ready to fight for Canadian families.

Layton died early Monday at home surrounded by his family and loved ones.

"We deeply regret to inform you that the Honourable Jack Layton, leader of the New Democratic Party of Canada, passed away at 4:45 am today, Monday August 22. He passed away peacefully at his home surrounded by family and loved ones. Details of Mr. Layton’s funeral arrangements will be forthcoming," said a statement from Layton's wife, Olivia Chow, a fellow NDP MP, and Layton's children Michael and Sarah.

Jack Layton, who led the federal NDP to its best showing ever in the spring election, has died. Layton had battled prostate cancer and fought the election campaign while recovering from a hip operation. Paul Chiasson/Canadian Press
Fighting with hope and optimism was a recurring theme in Layton's life. Long before his battles with cancer, Layton had developed a reputation as a fighter – a determined, goal-oriented, passionate one who would take on a cause and not let go.

In his teens in the 1960s, he led a fruitless bid to have a youth centre built in his hometown of Hudson, Que. Later, as a community organizer and activist in Toronto, and then in his political work, Layton showed a passion for such issues as the environment, AIDS, poverty, violence against women, public transportation and homelessness.

That last area of interest led him to write a book, Homelessness: The Making and Unmaking of a Crisis, which was published in 2000. He was also the author of Speaking Out: Ideas That Work for Canadians (2004).

Layton also fought for aboriginal issues, and was given credit by Prime Minister Stephen Harper in 2008 for his role in shaping the federal government's apology for the residential school system.

As longtime New Democrat and union leader Al Cerilli told CBC News in an interview several years ago, "Good or bad, he's on the front page, he's in your face," he said. "Jack is not shy, he is of that nature, of bringing the things out and putting them on the front page."

Politics in the family
Born in Montreal on July 18, 1950, Layton had politics in his blood. His great-grand uncle William Steeves was a Father of Confederation.

His great-grandfather Philip Layton came to Canada from Britain as a blind teenager and helped pressure the federal government to bring in a $25-a-month pension for the blind.

His grandfather Gilbert Layton was a Quebec cabinet minister under Maurice Duplessis and his father Robert Layton was a Tory cabinet minister in Brian Mulroney's Conservative government.

That family tradition lives on. Layton's son Michael followed in his father's footsteps as a Toronto city councillor.

In addition to learning about politics first-hand from his family, Layton studied political science and economics at McGill University, graduating in 1970. He went on to earn a master's degree and his PhD in political science at York University in 1983. He wasted no time putting his knowledge from the classroom into practice and ran for Toronto city council in 1982 before he had even finished his doctorate.

Layton didn't leave the classroom after winning his seat on city council. While making waves at city hall, he taught politics at the University of Toronto, York University and Ryerson.

Layton ran unsuccessfully for mayor in Toronto in 1991, and twice failed to win a seat in the House of Commons that decade. But he kept fighting.

Emergence on national scene
Layton's profile on the national scene was boosted by his election as president of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities in 2000, and three years later he made a run for the leadership of the New Democratic Party. He defeated several sitting NDP MPs in the heated race and in his victory speech, Layton talked about hope.

"Hope ... is what drives New Democrats," he said, adding that his party "will always be the party of hope."

He led the party for a year before he tried for a seat in the House of Commons, in the 2004 federal election, when he was finally victorious in the Toronto-Danforth riding. And in 2006, Layton's wife, Olivia Chow, joined him as the MP for the nearby Toronto riding of Trinity-Spadina.

Once again they were allies in an elected chamber. Layton and Chow had been city councillors together in Toronto and were married in 1988.

Olivia, his two children from a previous marriage (to Sally Halford), and his beloved granddaughter, were a great source of pride for Layton. He was quick to pull out his BlackBerry and show off photos of his daughter Sarah's baby, Beatrice. He looked forward to what he called his "Bea time."

Layton also made sure some of his time was devoted to exercise. A competitive swimmer in his youth, he maintained an active lifestyle and was dedicated to squeezing workouts into his hectic days. After his first cancer diagnosis, he adopted an even healthier diet, much to Olivia's satisfaction.

The couple had faced cancer together before — Chow had thyroid cancer in 2000. They weathered that rough patch, just as they had various controversies in their political lives

Layton could poke fun
Some public figures have one defining characteristic, physical or otherwise; Layton had several. He was known, for example, to be an MP who would ride his bike to work.

He was of course also known for his moustache, and took it in good stride on April Fool's Day when reporters on the 2011 campaign sported paper ones to poke fun at him.

He could poke fun at himself too, and used his musical talents on occasion to do so. He was known for breaking out his guitar on campaign planes and passing around songbooks so everyone could join in.

At the annual press gallery dinner in 2005, Layton entertained the crowd with what he called the NDP's new theme song. The lyrics to the tune of King of the Road included, "Party for sale or rent, it's as close to power as I'll ever get."

Landmark victory in last election
Six years after joking about being far from power, Layton was handed the keys to Stornoway, the official residence of the opposition leader, after winning a record number of seats in the House of Commons for the NDP and knocking the Liberals out of second place in the spring election he helped trigger.

It was a landmark victory for Layton, one that had been years in the making, as the party's fortunes had steadily improved under Layton's leadership. In his first three elections, the NDP climbed from 18 to 37 seats. He surrounded himself with loyal staff who helped him change the way the NDP communicated and fundraised. And together they made an incredible breakthrough in Quebec, starting with a by-election win in 2007 and a landslide 59 seats in the May election.

"In rebuilding the party, and generating enthusiasm from coast to coast in the party.... And putting roots down that are underway in the province of Quebec ... these are major, major accomplishments," former NDP leader Ed Broadbent told CBC News in a recent interview. "And he's going to be remembered ... you know, up there with Tommy [Douglas], with the great leaders of our party and movement. Jack's there."

In his final public press conference, where he announced his repeat battle against cancer, Layton maintained his trademark optimism, saying he was hopeful the NDP would keep moving forward and replace the Conservative government.

Though he looked and sounded weak, Layton's resolve was strong. He wanted a better Canada and said his party would help build "the country of our hopes, of our dreams, of our optimism, our determination, our values and our love."

Those were the last words Layton said publicly to Canadians, before a final, "Thank you very much."

While I differed wildly with Jack Laytons strident left wing social engineering politics
and ideas, I appreciate his passion and savvy and contribution to politics.
Rest in peace smilin'Jack.

He was a true north moral compass for Canada. I've never seen a politician weather the turmoil with a grace such as his and the tributes are mostly for the man, not his party.

I've met him and discussed issues close to my heart. He had the handshake of a man. I've met Harper who I've voted for and his handshake is a bit like holding a pancake.

I understand why people say Jack was a man to have a drink with because he looked me in the eye while he was telling me something he knew would not be good news.

Then after that he moved on to what he could do for me and which I had not put forward.

He was to me, a man's man.

RIP Jack. Gone too quickly. :eusa_pray:

May those in your life be blessed by the balm of your humanity.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k85xjSbtwHg]Sarah and Mike Layton's eulogy for their father- Jack Layton State Funeral - YouTube[/ame]

And such well brought up children. I want to squeeze both their cheeks. :razz:

A fine Eulogy.

And a nice Celebration of Life

Last edited by a moderator:
Ropey

What type of cancer did he have?

He was diagnosed and treated for prostrate cancer. It was in remission. Then he broke his hip and continued to work and walk through this repair.

Then he was diagnosed with a new cancer. He never specified this cancer.

It's rare, but not impossible, for someone diagnosed with one cancer to develop a second cancer unrelated in any way to the first, said Dr. Bill Orovan, professor and chair of the department of surgery at McMaster University's Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine in Hamilton.

The stiffness and pain that Layton said he began suffering in the days before the House of Commons rose for the summer break suggests "musculoskeletal involvement," Orovan said.

"The common sites for metastases of prostate cancer are, number one, regional lymph nodes and, number two, bones" — particularly flat bones such as the ribs, pelvis and skull.

"He's saying 'new' but it might just be a new location," Orovan said.

What kind of cancer? Layton isn't saying

But Layton said he has a new, "non-prostate cancer" that will require further treatment.

Olivia_Chow_JPG_1316066cl-3.jpg

Olivia Chow (Jack Layton's wife) said she would not disclose what the new cancer was as saying it might discourage others who needed to be confident that they would succeed in overcoming the disease that had claimed her husband’s life.

Jack Layton quite sick the last few days, Chow says - The Globe and Mail

I respect the family's right to privacy, but I don't understand what all the secrecy is about. Is there some other new type of really scary cancer no one has heard of?

I agree. I get the feeling that this is something else.

New Topics

Forum List

Back