IYO, what's the most unbelievable thing about Jesus?

Christians only have a problem with the idea of the Trinity because they think of God as a discrete entity, a person with concrete boundaries -- this-not-that. Reality has no absolute boundaries, though; they are all products of human cognition applied to experience. God cannot be experienced in totality, because the human mind is incapable of that feat, and so for him/her/it to appear in more than one form is exactly what we should expect.

Other religions that don't make such a point of discrete boundaries don't have the same conceptual problems. In Hinduism, for example, it is understood that all of the gods, along with everything else, are one, the one being Brahman, the cosmic soul. This means there is a unity underlying the divine diversity. A similar concept was found in ancient Greco-Roman thought, and in most polytheistic systems among the philosophically inclined.

Nobody has an issue with resurrection?

That was always one of the hardest parts for me. And you know, the oldest version of the Gospel of Mark (which is the oldest gospel of the four in New Testament) ends in the finding of the empty tomb.

That was always one of the hardest parts for me. And you know, the oldest version of the Gospel of Mark (which is the oldest gospel of the four in New Testament) ends in the finding of the empty tomb.

Why is the resurrection the hardest part, doctors bring people back from the dead everyday. Do you think God is less capable than doctors?

In other words, you don't really care what anyone says, you're just trying to sell your book.

Actually my "book" is a free online article which I would like some feedback on.

I'd love to post the link to it, my since I'm a newbie I'm not allowed to do that.

Temple priests wanted to make sure that body stayed in the tomb. There wasn't 1 Roman guard there, who "must have fallen asleep". There were several.
Falling asleep on the job meant waking up to watch a dagger being thrust into their stomachs by their superior.
Don't rely on religion to explain the resurrection. Rely on historical accounts of Christ's return 3 days after He died.
Rely on religion to explain why it happened , not that it happened.

I do not believe in the miracles that were attributed to him. I think those were made up later on, to convince others of his authenticity, since the Jews always needed some "sign".

I feel that jesus was real, and he and the buddha were of the same essence. Any difference is a cultural difference, including interpretation.

Last edited:
Temple priests wanted to make sure that body stayed in the tomb. There wasn't 1 Roman guard there, who "must have fallen asleep". There were several.

The Gospel of Peter also tells the name of one of the guards who were guarding the tomb, Petronius.

Many scholars believe that the whole story about guards at the tomb was a counter-argument to the suspicions that Jesus's body had been stolen by the disciples.

I feel that jesus was real, and he and the buddha were of the same essence. Any difference is a cultural difference, including interpretation.

I must say that I think the same way.

Frankly this surprises me. Yet a very nice surprise.

I discovered this, if that is the right term, many years ago in my own seeking. It was an experience, an inward experience, that literally changed the way that I think about reality.

Now anytime that I read the words of Christ, although I must admit I never do anymore, I understand it much differently than the way that I was taught when a youth. I can now deeply relate to his words, at least most of them. Those words resonate now, that I no longer depend upon tradition for understanding. It is all in the present moment, and can be no where else. As he said, "the kingdom is at hand" which means to me, within reach, and more importantly, it is within. Not outside.

With Christ, we have turned him into an idol. Idols are tricky things, as they can be of brass, stone, gold or even the most tricky type, they can be ideas. We can worship an idea. We can place it on a pedistil. It can become more important than the rebirth that allows entry into the kingdom. And in my opinion, this has happened, and it happened long ago. At the birth of the Church. And even prior to the birth.

If one can judge a tree by its fruit, has the Church produced only good fruit? Hardly. And the bad fruit has resulted in the deaths of innocent children. No serious seeker of truth would have anything to do with this so call church. Not if you read and actually understand the words of christ.

Truth is, everything needed is already within reach, in your consciousness, and only there, is God to be found, if he even exists. But if IT does exist, thought will never be able to touch IT. It "is" when thought "isn't". Thought always pushes it away. This is something that intelligence can see, deeply. Intelligence can also see that the self is an illusion, a construct of thought. And this is the natural way of thought, to construct an ego, a self. But there is more to consciousness than just this construct, this creation of thought. That 'other" we pay no mind to, we are so filled with the self that we can ignore it. Yet some feel IT, when thought is silent. Yet Christians are looking outward, not inward. The finger of christ is pointing to the persons consciousness, yet the self grabs the pointing finger of christ and worships the damn thing!

I think Christ was aware of this. And I think the language and tradition of that era made it harder to understand. Afterall, those people were like the Muslims are today and steeped in religious tradition, even viewing the world through those glasses. For understanding, one has to discard those glasses, and the followers of christ perhaps could not do so.

The Gospel of Peter also tells the name of one of the guards who were guarding the tomb, Petronius.

Many scholars believe that the whole story about guards at the tomb was a counter-argument to the suspicions that Jesus' body had been stolen by the disciples.

The temple priests tried to bribe the Roman Guard< composed of between 4 and 16 men, to say they fell asleep and the disciples stole the body. The Romans refused because that statement would also have been their confession to the punishment by death rule of no sleeping on the job. Then there were the Temple guards that formed a semi circle around the stone.
Scholars my ass. Ask them this:
If everyone fell asleep, how would anyone know WHO the thieves WERE? ;)

Test:
From 9am till noon, There was a sort of party going on beneath the cross, ridiculing, jeering, taunting Jesus to hop down etc. In an instant from noon to 3pm, it went dark.
That part was between God, and Jesus. That is when Jesus became you. And me. And was judged, found guilty, and received the death sentence, for all the stupid shit I have done, and will do.
Question:
Did it really go dark that afternoon?

Last edited:

Many scholars believe that the whole story about guards at the tomb was a counter-argument to the suspicions that Jesus' body had been stolen by the disciples.

The temple priests tried to bribe the Roman Guard< composed of between 4 and 16 men, to say they fell asleep and the disciples stole the body. The Romans refused because that statement would also have been their confession to the punishment by death rule of no sleeping on the job. Then there were the Temple guards that formed a semi circle around the stone.
Answer me this:
If everyone fell asleep, how did they know WHO the thieves were?

Test:
From 9am till noon, There was a sort of party going on beneath the cross, ridiculing, jeering, taunting Jesus to hop down etc. In an instant from noon to 3pm, it went dark.
That part was between God, and Jesus. That is when Jesus became you. And me. And was judged, found guilty, and received the death sentence, for all the stupid shit I have done, and will do.
Question:

And was the temple curtain ripped from top to bottom,symbolizing that there was no longer a need for a priest to be between you and God? That the kingdom was indeed at hand?

If it became dark, there was a solar eclipse. There is nothing fantastic going on here, no magic. But it makes for a grand story, and one that would surely be passed down at least orally because of its entertainment value. This is common in all of the Bible. Good stories. Which helps for ideas to be carried on, over time.

Answer me this:

Test:
Question:

And was the temple curtain ripped from top to bottom,symbolizing that there was no longer a need for a priest to be between you and God? That the kingdom was indeed at hand?

If it became dark, there was a solar eclipse. There is nothing fantastic going on here, no magic. But it makes for a grand story, and one that would surely be passed down at least orally because of its entertainment value. This is common in all of the Bible. Good stories. Which helps for ideas to be carried on, over time.

Except for the fact that the moon and sun were nowhere near each other.
Let's use history to prove that a supernatural darkness did indeed occur. I already gave you the religion as WHY it occurred.

Phlegon's sixteen volume Collection of Olympiads and Chronicles as follows:

All which things agree with what happened at the time of our Saviour's passion. And so writes Phlegon, and excellent compiler of the Olympiads in his thirteenth book, saying: ÔIn the fourth year of the two hundred and second olympiad there was a great and extraordinary eclipse of the sun, distinguished among all that had happened before. At the sixth hour the day was turned into dark night, so that the stars in the heavens were seen, and there was an earthquake in Bithynia which overthrew many houses in the city of Nice.' So writes the above named author.

Furthermore, Phlegon indicated that the darkness that covered the earth began at the sixth hour, which is equivalent to our noon hour, is precisely the same time period as recorded in the Gospels in Matthew 27:45. The Christian writer Tertullian indicated that this supernatural darkness was recorded in the Roman archives that could still be consulted. "At the same time at noonday there was a great darkness. They thought it to be an eclipse, who did not know that this also was foretold concerning Christ. And some have denied it, not knowing the cause of such darkness. And yet you have that remarkable event recorded in your archives." Another writer, the martyr Lucian, spoke of the public archives which recorded these supernatural events as follows: "Look into your annals; there you will find that in the time of Pilate, when Christ suffered, the sun was obscured, and the light of the day was interrupted with darkness."

That is just one account. The "event" was even recorded in China.
The Jewish calender depends on the moon being nowhere near the sun when they celebrate Passover. The eclipse excuse isn't even close to a possibility.
And it didn't creep up on them either. WHAPPP! Darkness. And all those party goers stopped dead in their tracks. No one moved. It was so quiet that you could hear the blood dripping off of Christ and hitting the dirt. When the lights came back on, a Roman guard near the cross remarked, " We just crucified the Son of God."
No eclipse. Give me a better explanation........

Last edited:
Answer me this:

Test:
Question:

Let's use history to prove that a supernatural darkness did indeed occur. I already gave you the religion as WHY it occurred.

All which things agree with what happened at the time of our Saviour's passion. And so writes Phlegon, and excellent compiler of the Olympiads in his thirteenth book, saying: ÔIn the fourth year of the two hundred and second olympiad there was a great and extraordinary eclipse of the sun, distinguished among all that had happened before. At the sixth hour the day was turned into dark night, so that the stars in the heavens were seen, and there was an earthquake in Bithynia which overthrew many houses in the city of Nice.' So writes the above named author.

Furthermore, Phlegon indicated that the darkness that covered the earth began at the sixth hour, which is equivalent to our noon hour, is precisely the same time period as recorded in the Gospels in Matthew 27:45. The Christian writer Tertullian indicated that this supernatural darkness was recorded in the Roman archives that could still be consulted. "At the same time at noonday there was a great darkness. They thought it to be an eclipse, who did not know that this also was foretold concerning Christ. And some have denied it, not knowing the cause of such darkness. And yet you have that remarkable event recorded in your archives." Another writer, the martyr Lucian, spoke of the public archives which recorded these supernatural events as follows: "Look into your annals; there you will find that in the time of Pilate, when Christ suffered, the sun was obscured, and the light of the day was interrupted with darkness."

The Jewish calender depends on the moon being nowhere near the sun when they celebrate Passover. The eclipse excuse isn't even close to a possibility.
And it didn't creep up on them either. WHAPPP! Darkness. And all those party goers stopped dead in their tracks. No one moved. It was so quiet that you could hear the blood dripping off of Christ and hitting the dirt. When the lights came back on, a Roman guard near the cross remarked, " We just crucified the Son of God."

Unless you were there you can't say there was not an eclipse. There were actually two different eclipses that would have been visible in Jerusalem around the time Jesus was crucified.

Hello people!

In your opinion, what's the most odd or unbelievable (as in hard to believe) part of the gospels or Jesus's story in general?

I'm asking this because I wrote a secular humanistic version of Jesus's story (The Atheist New Testament), but I kind of wrote it from my perspective trying to answer the questions that I had about Christianity, and so I might lack something important.

Thanks for any feedback!

Thete,
Bachelor of Theology
Finland

You won't like my answer, but I will tell you anyway. It is the fact that people who think he is a myth feel a need to start discussions in an attempt to prove they are smarter than I am. I think Thor is a myth, yet I have never once felt a need to start a thread to prove it.
Got it! You think the question shouldn't even be asked. Blind faith seems to be a powerful thing with you "believers".

Unless you were there you can't say there was not an eclipse. There were actually two different eclipses that would have been visible in Jerusalem around the time Jesus was crucified.
And unless YOU were there you can't say there was, right?

Hello people!

In your opinion, what's the most odd or unbelievable (as in hard to believe) part of the gospels or Jesus's story in general?

I'm asking this because I wrote a secular humanistic version of Jesus's story (The Atheist New Testament), but I kind of wrote it from my perspective trying to answer the questions that I had about Christianity, and so I might lack something important.

Thanks for any feedback!

Thete,
Bachelor of Theology
Finland

You won't like my answer, but I will tell you anyway. It is the fact thhave at people who think he is a myth feel a need to start discussions in an attempt to prove they are smarter than I am. I think Thor is a myth, yet I have never once felt a need to start a thread to prove it.
Got it! You think the question shouldn't even be asked. Blind faith seems to be a powerful thing with you "believers".

Blind faith? You mean like eating at a restaurant believing you are safe because the government keeps you safe?

I actually follow the biblical exhortation to test my faith, I question it all the time. I have no obsessive need to start threads about it, or to defend the existence of God. Why does your worldview revolve around attempts to prove yourself smarter than others?

Where did I say it was? Are you trying to argue that the cause of the sun going dark has no natural explanation?

You won't like my answer, but I will tell you anyway. It is the fact thhave at people who think he is a myth feel a need to start discussions in an attempt to prove they are smarter than I am. I think Thor is a myth, yet I have never once felt a need to start a thread to prove it.

Blind faith? You mean like eating at a restaurant believing you are safe because the government keeps you safe?

I actually follow the biblical exhortation to test my faith, I question it all the time. I have no obsessive need to start threads about it, or to defend the existence of God. Why does your worldview revolve around attempts to prove yourself smarter than others?
Sorry if I didn't clarify myself. I was wondering why you were offended whyy the original question was even asked?

Where did I say it was? Are you trying to argue that the cause of the sun going dark has no natural explanation?
If the description of the sun "going dark" is from people not trained in the PROVEN sciences then I question the validity of someone saying the "sun went dark". IMHO

But I can say that there was no eclipse. I can use something as simple as the Jewish calender, a scroll in a Roman Library, historians, eyewitnesses. They ALL can't be individually wrong, and together they ALL support just what the Bible said happened.

I can acquaint myself with historical data:
(Samaritan, 1st century) -Julius Africanus,
"......an eclipse of the sun cannot occur at the same time there is a full moon. The moon is almost diametrically opposite the sun during full moon which would make a solar eclipse impossible at that time. This historical reference by the pagan historian Thallus confirmed the Gospel account regarding the miraculous darkness that covered the earth when Jesus was dying on the cross.
There are other ancient historical references to this supernatural darkness which occurred at the death of Christ. Modern astronomers confirm that Julius Africanus was right in his conclusion that a normal eclipse could not possibly occur at the time of a full moon, which occurred at the time of the Jewish Passover. The high priest carefully calculated the position of the full moon to the smallest degree because their whole Jewish liturgical calendar, especially Passover, depended on determining the precise lunar position. There are two important points here. First, the pagan Syrian historian Thallus, who was alive at the time of Jesus' death occurred has confirmed that darkness covered the earth at the very time recorded in the Gospels. Secondly, the fact that there was a full moon present makes it certain that this darkness was not an eclipse but that it was a supernatural event.".

Ya know, I never saw a dinosaur. I wasn't there, but........ ;)

Forum List

Back