Ivy League admission process biased, unfair

R

rdean

Her daughter has a 4.39 average, superb test scores, 2,300 on her SATs and 35 of 36 on her ACTs. From K through 12 she never had a B and the grading system in Fairfax County is among the nation’s toughest with only a five-point window for an A, not the 10 points of most schools. She plays in two bands, marching and concert, and was selected for a prestigious congressional internship. She also belongs to a community service organization, plays basketball and swims, and has a boyfriend. She is personally very attractive and appealing and interviews well, her mother said.

She said her daughter had taken it in stride, but with obvious disappointment. She just wasn’t the daughter or granddaughter of someone who had gone to Yale where that often is most important. A large number of admissions come from that source.

“Look at George W. Bush,” she said to me. “Do you think his prep school grades were near as good as hers? I of course don’t know but I would wager a year’s income they weren’t.

Ivy League admission process biased, unfair - theoaklandpress.com

-------------------------------------------------
Really, this is about Affirmative Action. Entrance being based on something other than competitive test scores. Can the country afford this in the future?

Her daughter has a 4.39 average, superb test scores, 2,300 on her SATs and 35 of 36 on her ACTs. From K through 12 she never had a B and the grading system in Fairfax County is among the nation’s toughest with only a five-point window for an A, not the 10 points of most schools. She plays in two bands, marching and concert, and was selected for a prestigious congressional internship. She also belongs to a community service organization, plays basketball and swims, and has a boyfriend. She is personally very attractive and appealing and interviews well, her mother said.

She said her daughter had taken it in stride, but with obvious disappointment. She just wasn’t the daughter or granddaughter of someone who had gone to Yale where that often is most important. A large number of admissions come from that source.

“Look at George W. Bush,” she said to me. “Do you think his prep school grades were near as good as hers? I of course don’t know but I would wager a year’s income they weren’t.

Really, this is about Affirmative Action. Entrance being based on something other than competitive test scores. Can the country afford this in the future?

are you pissed at all the types of student that jumped the queue in front of this girl or only the ones that got in the same way as baby bush?

I have heard that there is a back door to Harvard. Sit out a year (so that you are not counted in the statistics) and make a $1,000,000 contribution, voila! you're in. This may be unfair but is it beneficial to the school?

I just have to ask, why would ANYONE want their kid to go to the same schools where George Bush, Prescott Bush or even the filthy scumbag president of the U.S., Obama, attended? If anything we should be avoiding these schools. Only the pampered elite and a few people they feel sorry for gain acceptance. These institutions are filled with vile scum that we should despise. They couldn't be any less American if they flew a chinese flag. Send your kids to Vanderbilt or something.

when has life ever been "fair"?
seems dean missed the point of the story in his eagerness to score some point

The moral of this tale is simple. Rejection can be a good early lesson in the unfairness that life often brings no matter how well one has performed. The tragedy comes when our children follow our accepted prescriptions for success only to be told in the end that it doesn’t matter.

I'm kind of wondering of what possible relevance it is that she:

a. has a boyfriend
b. is attractive

I wondered about the boyfriend thing too.

Being attractive always helps. So does being tall for men. Outward signs of good genetics and developemental conditions.

I'm kind of wondering of what possible relevance it is that she:

a. has a boyfriend
b. is attractive

it should have at least more relevance than who your father or grandfather is.
that's the point.
no, it shouldnt
heritage tells a lot more about someone than who they DATE or how pretty they are

at least "boyfriend and attractive" is a direct reflection or characteristic of the applicant.

it says something about social competence.

what does heritage tell about the applicant?

it should have at least more relevance than who your father or grandfather is.
that's the point.
no, it shouldnt
heritage tells a lot more about someone than who they DATE or how pretty they are

at least "boyfriend and attractive" is a direct reflection or characteristic of the applicant.

it says something about social competence.

what does heritage tell about the applicant?
really?
you have to ask?

I can understand that over subscribed schools might favor those with some family connection to the establishment. I can see absolutely no relevance of sexual orientation or a person's looks. None whatsoever.

in a perfect world attractiveness of the applicant would actually have no relevance at all.

but then, heritage wouldn't either.

d'uh.

and you making the having a boyfriend info about sexual orientation is very interesting.

in a perfect world attractiveness of the applicant would actually have no relevance at all.

d'uh.

and you making the having a boyfriend info about sexual orientation is very interesting.
well, it didnt say she had a girl friend
LOL

d'uh.

LOL

That's just cuz he can't actually argue on my point... so he needs to create an 'issue'. It's typical lefty illusion.

d'uh.

LOL

no, it didn't.

so what was it that heritage says about the applicant?

ASK your liberal buddies. They run the Ivy League and set the rules. They support Affirmative action, which this is not. Go ask a Democrat.

Forum List

Back