Ivory Coast conflict may raise chocolate prices

Shadow

Silver Member
Aug 16, 2008
Land Of Enchantment
(CBS/AP) Hundreds have died in the battle over the disputed presidency in the Ivory Coast that is increasingly starting to resemble a civil war.

Yet the three-month-old conflict has not resonated on the world stage like the more recent uprisings in Libya and Egypt. Now that world chocolate prices might be affected by it, that could change.

Ivory Coast conflict may raise chocolate prices - World Watch - CBS News

I have to admit, I thought it was crazy that their is a war that is affecting the flow of chocolate lol. I guess this could cause a major issue for many, I think I'd be ok even if chocolate disappeared, might affect me some, but doubtful it'd affect me a lot.

My only effect from this is Willy Wonka needs chocolate for his factory.

• Banned
It's an interesting article. I guess the coffee and cocoa trade is very lucrative there,I didn't realize this. The Ivory Coast produces 40 percent of the world's cocoa, more than any other country.

hell it just gets worse....

we ...as in the world could run out of chocolate by 2014....damn

now i can see bombing someone for this

I'm informed that 30% of the world's chocolate production is done by child slave labor in the Ivory Coast.

Hershey's claims that they know their cocoa does not come from child labor, but if that stat is right, it seems likely that we have all enjoyed the sweet taste of CHILD SLAVERY at least occassionally.

FYI, I am informed that coffee is the world's largest single trade item, surpassing even petroleum (that I find somewhat incredible, too)

• Banned
I'm informed that 30% of the world's chocolate production is done by child slave labor in the Ivory Coast.

Hershey's claims that they know their cocoa does not come from child labor, but if that stat is right, it seems likely that we have all enjoyed the sweet taste of CHILD SLAVERY at least occassionally.

FYI, I am informed that coffee is the world's largest single trade item, surpassing even petroleum (that I find somewhat incredible, too)

I was reading an article that says that about 30% of the children under the age of 15 in west Africa are child laborers. This apparently effects all areas of the agriculture (not just the cocoa industry) since it's their biggest resource.

I was reading an article that says that about 30% of the children under the age of 15 in west Africa are child laborers. This apparently effects all areas of the agriculture (not just the cocoa industry) since it's their biggest resource.

I don't doubt that.

However it is my understanding that the COCOA industry children laborers aren't merely workers, they're SLAVES,

Bought and sold like animals, they are chained to the task, and treated as CHATTLE.

This sad fact isn't exactly a secret.

http://www1.american.edu/ted/chocolate-slave.htm

Child slavery in the cocao plantations is a well understood fact of the industry. Some chocolateers even bother to note that their cocoa sources are certified as NOT coming from slave labor.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Banned
Sad that poverty breeds child labor and creates the scene for greedy and corrupt overseers to take advantage.

I did learn something else I didn't know. The industry apparently only has two main distributors, the Chocolate Manufacturers Association and the National Confectioners Association. Apparently they have been putting regulations in place to curb some of this. Too bad the government in that area is so corrupt.

Another related article about the Civil War in Ivory Coast...

Aid group: Women and children casualties in Ivory Coast market attack

(CNN) -- At least 25 people were killed in what the United Nations called Friday a shocking escalation of violence in Ivory Coast, wracked by an electoral crisis that many fear is sliding toward another civil war.

Doctors Without Borders treated 66 people with gunshot wounds and injuries caused by shell explosions in the wake of the attacks, according to a news release from the medical aid group. Women and children were among those injured, the statement said.

France, Ivory Coast's former colonial ruler, condemned Thursday's "deliberate massacre of civilians" and called on the U.N. Security Council to adopt sanctions against self-declared President Laurent Gbagbo and his circle, said Foreign Ministry spokesman Bernard Valero.

Aid group: Women and children casualties in Ivory Coast market attack - CNN.com

Christians attacked, killed in Ivory Coast

Ivory Coast (MNN) ― Christians are now a major target in violence which is teetering Ivory Coast on the edge of civil war.

When the post-election violence began in November, believers were almost immediately at risk. Laurent Gbagbo refused to step down from his post as president when candidate Alassane Ouattara was voted in as president, despite international recognition of Ouattara as the country's new president.

Now Christians are in danger.

"In the city of Abidjan, there's a call by Islamic clerics against the Christians," confirms Carl Moeller with Open Doors, USA. "The fact of the matter is, in this part of the world, politics and religion are very difficult to separate."

Where does religion fit in? Gbagbo calls himself a Christian, and Ouattara calls himself a Muslim. Many Muslims associate believers with Gbagbo whether they actually support him or not. Christians' prayers for peace in Ivory Coast are seen as further evidence of Gbagbo loyalty.

Mission Network News

fe4ab2d65fNoooo.jpg.jpg

Ivory Coast: One million refugees feared, UNHCR says

Up to one million people may have fled their homes because of violence following Ivory Coast's disputed elections, the UN refugee agency says.

The UNHCR says most had run away from recent violence in Abidjan.

Aid agencies are said to be unable to reach parts of the west where forces loyal to disputed President Laurent Gbagbo have been losing ground.

France has circulated a draft resolution at the UN calling for sanctions against Mr Gbagbo.

This follows a calls for UN sanctions and tougher action to oust him by West African leaders.

BBC News - Ivory Coast: One million refugees feared, UNHCR says

Forum List

Back