I've wasted so much time in this Forum. Antarctic glacier melt is Volcanic.

More Disingenuous BS from flacaltenn.
For one thing, this is Only Pine Island Glacier.

AS IF the rest of the Planet's Glaciers (and Greenland etc) aren't melting FROM Global Warming.
This mini-event does Not explain that.

It's DISHONESTY (most likely) or Stupidity by anecdote.

`

Last edited:
Montrovant There is another Antarctic Ice thread on the 1st page of the Enviro forum listings. I placed many articles into that thread. This one from Nat Geo was the EARLIEST report of anything deemed active. Below that --- I pasted a more up to date accounting of the MASSIVE VOLCANIC system that is being discovered under that continent.

Active Volcano Found Under Antarctic Ice: Eruption Could Raise Sea Levels

By Ker Than, for National Geographic
PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 19, 2013

A newly discovered volcano found buried beneath a thick layer of ice in Antarctica could speed up ice loss and raise global sea levels when it erupts, scientists say.

The finding, detailed in the current issue of Nature Geoscience, marks the first time that an active volcano has been discovered under the ice of the frozen continent. (Also see "Giant Undersea Volcanoes Found Off Antarctica.")

When it erupts—which no one can predict—the volcano "will create millions of gallons of water beneath the ice—many lakes full," study leader Doug Wiens, professor of earth and planetary science at Washington University in St. Louis, said in a statement.

This water will rush beneath the ice toward the sea and feed into one of the major ice streams that drain ice from Antarctica into the Ross Ice Shelf, Wiens explained.

west-antarctic-fault-belt.jpg

I think you may be misunderstanding my comments. I'm not making any claims about global warming; whether it is happening, what causes it, etc. I'm just saying that if you are going to use the term 'global warming' it doesn't make sense to say it's not happening somewhere.

Also, if there are bunches of volcanoes erupting under the Antarctic, it would be better to mention that rather than start with an article about a single occurrence, especially when you contradict some of the claims within the article about that occurrence. ;)

My comments have been very limited in scope and should not be taken as support or indictment for any particular global warming theories.

More Disingenuous BS from flacaltenn.
For one thing, this is Only Pine Island Glacier.

AS IF the rest of the Planet's Glaciers (and Greenland etc) aren't melting FROM Global Warming.
This mini-event does Not explain that.

It's DISHONESTY (most likely) or Stupidity by anecdote.

`

You spend too much time on me. I'm flattered, but you're totally ineffective. The PIG (Pine Island Glacier) has been the EPICENTER of hysterical frightening theories about GW damage causing the projections of sea level rise to be unreasonably attributed to surface/atmos heat that just doesn't exist down there. Go LOOK at the "scare the shit:" articles about the PIG. It was "leading indicator" of GW danger to the world for decades.

This is not a mini-event. The NEW knowledge could very conceivably be a REAL MAJOR threat to the world in terms of Sea level rise. And it's NOT just the PIG. There are several other glacier on that peninsula that are ALSO adjacent to active volcanic rifts. THEY account for more than 40% of the VERIFIED ice loss in coastal footed Antarctic glaciers.

So the question is --- since you've funnied every one of my posts in thread -- is WHAT ARE YOU gonna do with this new scientific knowledge? You gonna ignore it? Ridicule it? Or do you not have any integrity or honesty on these issues and are just here to soapbox and troll me?

:soapbox:

You spend too much time on me. I'm flattered, but you're totally ineffective. The PIG (Pine Island Glacier) has been the EPICENTER of hysterical frightening theories about GW damage causing the projections of sea level rise to be unreasonably attributed to surface/atmos heat that just doesn't exist down there. Go LOOK at the "scare the shit:" articles about the PIG. It was "leading indicator" of GW danger to the world for....
So the question is --- since you've funnied every one of my posts in thread -- is WHAT ARE YOU gonna do with this new scientific knowledge? You gonna ignore it? Ridicule it? Or do you not have any integrity or honesty on these issues and are just here to soapbox and troll me?
This is NOT "New information."
I have been reading about this from deniers for many Years.
ie
NewScientist
First subglacial eruption found in Antarctica
Lubricated glacier
Although the new volcano is probably the most recent one to have exploded, researchers have known about another subglacial volcano in Antarctica for some time.

Mount Casertz stands some 600 metres high, but the only sign of its existence from the surface is a large depression in the ice above caused by heat from the active cone melting the ice.

The same process could be happening in the ice around the Hudson Mountains volcano. This, say the researchers, could explain why the nearby Pine Island Glacier has experienced sudden accelerations toward the sea twice in the past few decades..

And I'm sure there's much more on this board, and many others I'ver posted on.

Funny Too..
Now you accept an MSM source like Newsweek and real climate scientists.

And again, mainly, and of course, this is no way Precludes or Explains GW/AGW and the melting of the Rest of the PLANET'S Glaciers.
PERIOD.

As to you personally.
I have a beef with science-denier mod, be it Evolution or Warming

Now you present this Anecdote AS IF the rest of the Planets Glaciers aren't melting from WARMING.
It's self-delusion or worse, an attempt To Fool people that we don't have Worldwide warming because there's Volcanic activity causing melting in part of the antarctic.

You're a mod but a Lowlife politico
Yeah, that bothers me.
`

Last edited:
And again, mainly, and of course, this is no way Precludes or Explains GW/AGW and the melting of the Rest of the PLANET'S Glaciers.
PERIOD.

The planets "other glaciers" have been in retreat since the end of the last Ice Age. And they can't contribute inches or feet to sea level rise. As many of those high mountain glaciers retreat, scientists are finding 100+ yr old fossilized trees in their wake.

Nobody REALLY wants to live in climates where the high mountain glaciers are thriving and growing. It will likely happen again in the future -- but with disastrous results for human viability.

NewScientist
First subglacial eruption found in Antarctica
Lubricated glacier
Although the new volcano is probably the most recent one to have exploded, researchers have known about another subglacial volcano in Antarctica for some time.

Hey... Where in the IPCC reports was this science ever mentioned? Don't ever recall reading this on any front pages or in IPCC reports...

This news is laughable. My God....are warmists taking the bumpy cucumber these days, or what? In one week, we find the Arctic is completely frozen over and Antarctica is melting from below.

Forum List

Back