I've been hired to shoot another wedding

Anyway, I've gotta get all my stuff ready and try to remember not to do the crap I didn't like about the last one.

Use the 105mm for the portraits; it will render faces the best.
I love the 50mm 1.8 for it's super shallow depth of field.
Interesting effect, but of limited usefulness, and not protrait-friendly.
I took this one with it. What say you?

DSC_1655-web.jpg

1/1600
f 1.8
200 iso

Last edited:
Off center, lacks contrast, enough light for finer-grain/lower iso. In general, lenses work least well at their extremes and f1.8 was not necessary as the background is far away.
You asked.

The formal posed shots are great, but the best memories come form candid shots before the ceremony and at the reception.

Last edited:
The formal posed shots are great, but the best memories come form candid shots before the ceremony and at the reception.
Yes, and all the more reason to always be considering light, angle and background. Aunt Sue may look very nice in the dress she made, but be aware that little Johnnie is picking his nose in the same framing.

I can photoshop Johhny, but can't take 400 pounds off aunt Bessie!

Yes, and all the more reason to always be considering light, angle and background. Aunt Sue may look very nice in the dress she made, but be aware that little Johnnie is picking his nose in the same framing.

With photo enhancement software, lighting isn't as critical as the shot itself, lighting is easily manipulated without washing out detail. And little Johnny may be the reason the photo is worth taking.

Nothing replaces a professional, high quality original.

Agreed, but candid photos has a bit lower bar. Their hard to get if you're going around blinding everyone with multiple flashes. The whole point of candid shots is to be the least intrusive possible so people are acting naturally and not reacting to you.

I'd say don't worry about cameras. I have friends who have sold 3ft prints off of their phones and no one could tell it was a phone shot.

Just look for people having a good time in great light. Try to capture people having fun, the family crying (either in sadness or happiness haha). People are always looking at that over the technical stuff on photos anyway when they view the images.

Also, the 50mm is a great lens for portraits (waist up). Use something longer for head shots.

I did it already. They were happy.

No, I just properly exposed them.

Forum List

Back