I've been at it again, s0n. Digital remaster and re-arrangement of "Downtown."

Feb 28, 2009
Happened to hear a glimpse of this in a mall the other day, remembered it as really the very first song I remember remembering. (Make sense?) I was three when this was on the radio and I have vivid memories of it coming on the radio in the car, and my mother always turning it up. I remember the shock and awe I had at the time, of this magic thing with the shiny knobs and buttons that could produce such wonderful sound.

Early this morning I went out on i-tunes and Amazon, trying to find this in mp3 format. It was easy enough to find and all, but not ONE version of it that you could buy was produced very well! NOISE NOISE NOISE NOISE! Tape hiss. NOISE. Bad dynamics. EVERYTHING.

So of course, a challenge was presented and several hours later, here is the result.

Only additions made are at the beginning. I felt the little piano solo at the beginning needed a little "pop" so I stole backing vocals from later in the song, mixed them in time with the piano solo, then stole a vocal solo from later in the song, and mixed that in time with it as well.

On these, I put them almost exclusively on the rear surround speakers and added a 1/8 delay to them, and applied a small room effect. I then copied this, and gave it to you as well in the flat stereo track, greatly diminished.

I also copied the main track, and engineered a 5.1 surround sound version of it, also with a 1/8 delay built in and a small room effect. This one is 80% biased to the rear surround speakers. Those of you listening in mono or just straight stereo won't detect these surround tracks much. But those listening in 5.1 gonna be blown away.

So here ya go, Petula Clark's "Downtown" from 1964, digitally restored, remastered and re-arranged for the 21st Century. Click below to download or stream:

Downtown2011 - Petula Clark (Digitally Remastered) | Excellence in Podcasting Networks

There are several different VST plugin processors that reduce and even eliminate tape hiss.

• Banned
There are several different VST plugin processors that reduce and even eliminate tape hiss.
Mostly by distorting the rest of the signal.

Sample this, listen for the hiss. It's not there, but the signal is.

Odd thing was, none of the mp3 versions available sound like any help was applied.

Last edited:
Happened to hear a glimpse of this in a mall the other day, remembered it as really the very first song I remember remembering. (Make sense?) I was three when this was on the radio and I have vivid memories of it coming on the radio in the car, and my mother always turning it up. I remember the shock and awe I had at the time, of this magic thing with the shiny knobs and buttons that could produce such wonderful sound.

Early this morning I went out on i-tunes and Amazon, trying to find this in mp3 format. It was easy enough to find and all, but not ONE version of it that you could buy was produced very well! NOISE NOISE NOISE NOISE! Tape hiss. NOISE. Bad dynamics. EVERYTHING.

So of course, a challenge was presented and several hours later, here is the result.

Only additions made are at the beginning. I felt the little piano solo at the beginning needed a little "pop" so I stole backing vocals from later in the song, mixed them in time with the piano solo, then stole a vocal solo from later in the song, and mixed that in time with it as well.

On these, I put them almost exclusively on the rear surround speakers and added a 1/8 delay to them, and applied a small room effect. I then copied this, and gave it to you as well in the flat stereo track, greatly diminished.

I also copied the main track, and engineered a 5.1 surround sound version of it, also with a 1/8 delay built in and a small room effect. This one is 80% biased to the rear surround speakers. Those of you listening in mono or just straight stereo won't detect these surround tracks much. But those listening in 5.1 gonna be blown away.

So here ya go, Petula Clark's "Downtown" from 1964, digitally restored, remastered and re-arranged for the 21st Century. Click below to download or stream:

Downtown2011 - Petula Clark (Digitally Remastered) | Excellence in Podcasting Networks

Sounds really good.

• Banned

Sounds really good.
The main track is biased to the right a little though.:eusa_silenced::razz:

Glad you liked! You can save it to all of your digital media devices.

Forum List

Back