I've been asked to spread this around.....

freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
Dear Mr. President and Mr. Vice President.

My name is Jennifer Eggers. My husband SSG Kyle A Eggers was killed in Iraq 12-5-04. He was with the 506th INF in the Army.

They were stationed in South Korea and were told they were "safe" there. Well, 3 months after my husband arrived in Korea he was told they were heading into Iraq sometime in the summer ... and at first they were told they would not be going home to see their families before they left. After a lot of biting and scratching they received "block leave" of 14 days.....

That 14 days plus the 6 weeks before Kyle left for Korea is the only time he got to see his 3rd son. And now my 3 young boys will be growing up without a father. Tegan and Kaden Eggers who are identical twins will be 3 Feb. 15th and Zane Eggers who turned 1 Dec 31st of 2004.

It is heart breaking to know that my husband gave his life for this country and now me and his sons feel like no one cares about us any more. It has now been 1 month since my husband was killed. the memorial services and burial are over, the phone calls have almost ended, and a few cards are still trickling in.

But we are still living on the $12,000 up front death benefits. No survivor benefits have started yet. no social security, and no VA Benefits. With 3 growing young boys I don't know how I am going to take care of them with the little money we will be receiving. I am currently living at home with my parents. But cannot afford to move into my own place until all these benefits start and I know how much I can afford.

Here is the real reason I am emailing you today. I am trying to understand why the families of the 9-11 victims are able to receive millions of dollars while families of soldiers who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country will be scraping by or having to go back to work to support the families their soldiers left behind.

If there is some way you can explain this to me I would appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Eggers
20 Kenny Drive A
Yakima WA 98902

dilloduck said:
good point but shouldn't it be addressed to Congress ?

Yes, but understand, she just lost her husband, it frustrated and is reaching out to the man she THINKS can help her. I know it will be on CNN as I have already been told so by the person that has the contacts there.

Several of us are sending her letter to our congressmen and to the local editorial papers. She supports the war, she is just frustrated that the 911 victims got so much while our soldiers and their survivors get so little. As was mentioned in another thread, the SGLI benefits should be raised to $1million in my opinion.

... and, add to the fact that she sees millions going to aide those affected by the Tsuami and it adds insult to injury, I am sure. The families of our fallen should come first.

It is so sad. Three young children who will never know their father. My heart hurts for her and others like her.

Update:

as it stands right now i [the author of the letter] will be going on LIVE Jan 16th (sunday) at 9AM EST 6AM MY TIME YIKES!

She is talking about CNN

pretender said:
... and, add to the fact that she sees millions going to aide those affected by the Tsuami and it adds insult to injury, I am sure. The families of our fallen should come first.

It is so sad. Three young children who will never know their father. My heart hurts for her and others like her.

you're so right.

It is very sad to hear her story...I certainly hope that she gets all the support she can from friends and family. AS time goes by, and she realizes she must now raise her children by herself, she can instill the pride and hard work that her husband knew so well.

I am quite certain that she will honor his memory by setting an example for her children to persevere through adversity and hardship and overcome personal tragedy with success that her husband fought for.....

My hat is off to her, and all those who have served, and know the suffering and hardship that so many families experience firsthand through the sacrifice their loved ones have made to help keep us safe and fight for the freedoms that all people deserve.

Rest in Peace SSG Kyle A Eggers!

That's a sad situation and a shame for our country.

We need to help the people in Asia. I don't begrudge our help there, but I have a problem when we give food, medical supplies, clothing and money to other countries, while our own go without.

In many alleys in the coldest cities in the United States groups of American citizens, many vetereans, huddle around garbage burning in trash cans for heat, sleep in cardboard boxes, and scavvage for food. Where is the help for them? How come we can ship building supplies and hundreds of people go to Asia to help, but we ignore the homeless in our own country?

i hope she somehow makes some headway with this... for her to be struggling like this is a disgrace, the SGLI must be expedited so disasters like this don't happen to families of the fallen

NATO AIR said:
i hope she somehow makes some headway with this... for her to be struggling like this is a disgrace, the SGLI must be expedited so disasters like this don't happen to families of the fallen
I agree!

About the same time her husband was killed, another soldier from the same unit was killed - SFC Kyle Gibbs. A few days ago, Mrs. Gibbs wife received the following letter and below is how it appeared in the local paper of her deceased husband's hometown. She posted it this AM at the unit's yahoo group and since it is such a touching tribute, I wanted to post it here to share with everybody.

A final flight with Lufkin's fallen angel
WESLEY PICKENS

As my latest year on earth just drew to a close, I am reminded of a recent evening that summarized my past 12 months of life in Iraq. It is to this memory, and with loving devotion to my family, that I face the coming year.

Walking in a single file to the aft cargo ramp of the rotund C-130, I felt incredibly light as I leaned into the aircraft's circulating prop wash and struggled to carry my duffel bags and ruck sack. This innate lightness stemmed mostly from the fact that I was leaving Iraq for the last time with only a few bags of gear but a head full of memories. All of my limbs and psyche intact, I am ever thankful for the thoughts and prayers that have accompanied me to war.

Traveling to Kuwait several days before the rest of my unit, I had the charge of preparing my unit's equipment and vehicles for shipment back to Mississippi. As I prepared to leave Iraq that evening, dozens of thoughts filled my mind: I could see the face of my beautiful wife waiting for me at the airport; I could imagine all the members of my family gathered around the living room floor for a delayed Christmas celebration, and I could also imagine the other members of my unit experiencing the joy of their own family reunions during the upcoming weeks. Climbing onto the aircraft, I stowed my bags and began to buckle myself into one of the canvas seats lining the sidewalls of the cabin. Along the airplane's wide center aisle, pallets of outgoing mail and a small minivan were strapped to the floor. As one of the last soldiers to board, my seat was near the rear of the aircraft, and I had an empty space before me on the deck. I remember thinking that maybe I could stretch out and catch a nap with all of that additional legroom. Upon getting situated, I closed my eyes and waited for the aircraft to begin its taxi for takeoff, when I heard a sudden change in pitch from the outside, and I realized the pilots had shut down the engines. For a brief moment, I thought they must have decided to take on more fuel. Just as I opened my eyes, a taut-jawed Marine officer stepped onto the aircraft's ramp and stood before me. As the engines continued to wind down, the officer told the aircraft's passengers that our departure would be delayed for a few minutes. He informed us that we would be sharing the flight to Kuwait with a fallen angel.

A pony-tailed government contractor, who accompanied us on our flight, asked the officer for the name of the slain soldier, to which the officer replied, "I'm sorry, I don't have that information." He then informed us that an angel is always the last passenger to board an aircraft and the first one to exit. The officer also asked us to stand at attention when the honor detail brought the casket on-board. Suddenly, the flight crew and other ground personnel assembled in a line formation on the tarmac behind the aircraft. A white panel truck then slowly backed to the aircraft's ramp. A few moments later, I could hear the truck's rear sliding door moving up the metal rollers to reveal a flag draped aluminum casket.

One of the officers then called the group to attention, and the casket was carefully removed from the truck. On the officer's call, we all stood stoically erect with no movement from anyone. I cannot imagine that a single person so much as twitched an eye. Even the contractor stood awkwardly stiff as he straddled his baggage between his legs on the floor.

After saluting our deceased comrade, the line of officers dispersed, and the honor detail strapped the casket to the deck of the aircraft. I then, again, took my seat - this time with a blue field of white stars resting directly before me at my feet. The rear ramp of the aircraft slowly elevated and locked into place, and the crew chief extinguished all white lights within the cabin. After momentary darkness, several dim night vision bulbs illuminated and bathed the gray walls of the interior in green incandescence. The aura of these subtle lights transformed our sterile gray cabin into a sacred, holy chamber, and it left me reverently silent in the moment.

A few minutes later, as I departed my camp's airfield in Iraq for the last time, I did not notice the airplane lifting from the ground. I was completely lost in the stolen dreams prematurely taken from my nameless comrade. When the aircraft landed in Kuwait over an hour later, the rear hatch, again, opened, and a slight breeze caught the large American flag hanging from the ceiling above my fallen brother, thus bringing my attention back to earth.

Over the next few months, as members of Operation Iraqi Freedom II return home (and to our "normal" routines in society), my hope is that the work of these many valiant soldiers and Marines will be successfully realized with the upcoming elections in Iraq. Virtually everyone that I've met who participated in this endeavor has earnestly tried to assist in building Iraq's fledgling democracy and to help create a model of freedom for this region of the world. We all have faith that our efforts are not in vain.

Days after arriving in Kuwait, I still could not shake the experience of my last flight from Iraq. Finally, I was able to find the name of my fallen brother among the pages of Stars and Stripes. Sgt. 1st Class Todd Gibbs, 37, of Lufkin, rest assured that your sacrifice will not be forgotten.

Wesley Pickens of Ecru, Miss., is a captain with the Mississippi National Guard.

Forum List

Back