CDZ I've Asked This Question Repeatedly - But No One Will Answer. Why?

The truly sickening thing about this thread is the notion that if you are liberal you're supposed to agree with everything Obama said or did. Why would you assume something that absurd?

What three things did Obama accomplish in the area of race relations? Zip, nada and squat. Much, much more importantly, what did he accomplish with regards to reducing the partisan swamp which has drowned the American Dream? Same answer.

In his defense though it's our fault, not his. Hyper-partisanship is a disease, and we got it bad, as every thread on this board proves.

Hyper-partisanship is a disease, and we got it bad, as every thread on this board proves.
What concerns me most is that it's no longer confined to the zealots on the very ends of the spectrum, the wild-eyed 3% with whom attempts at normal conversation are essentially worthless.

This binary behavior is clearly spreading into our culture, making it much more difficult to marginalize the crazies. More and more people I talk to are a mini Limbaugh or a mini Maddow, restricted in their most fundamental perceptions to only their "side" of the story, armed and ready with shallow bumper sticker platitudes that do nothing to advance the conversation.

I don't know how this gets fixed.

Is that really the President's job. To improve the lives of people that share his/her skin color. It kind of seems like you are assuming he should because he is African American. I honestly don't remember Senator Obama running for President of the Black United States. Did you ponder the benefits to Caucasians of the Bush or Clinton administrations too?
Exactly.

Hyper-partisanship is a disease, and we got it bad, as every thread on this board proves.
What concerns me most is that it's no longer confined to the zealots on the very ends of the spectrum, the wild-eyed 3% with whom attempts at normal conversation are essentially worthless.

This binary behavior is clearly spreading into our culture, making it much more difficult to marginalize the crazies. More and more people I talk to are a mini Limbaugh or a mini Maddow, restricted in their most fundamental perceptions to only their "side" of the story, armed and ready with shallow bumper sticker platitudes that do nothing to advance the conversation.

Mac thinks Limbaugh and Maddow are exactly the same people but on different ends of the political spectrum.

Isn't that precious!

Earmuffs.

...Hyper-partisanship is a disease, and we got it bad, as every thread on this board proves.

The really sad thing about partisanship is that the citizenry ascribe to it. This despite that doing so, because it produces stagnancy in governance, necessarily isn't in their own best interests. Unfortunately the hubris of our political process has resulted in an attitude of people/our country doing nothing rather than at least giving someone else's ideas a try.

What ever happened to the idea of that the worst thing one can do is to take no action on a given matter? Do folks not realize that for many of the problems we expect our political leaders to resolve, informed trial and error is the only real option? Regardless of where one's proposed solutions fall on the political spectrum -- liberal to conservative -- none of them have any 100% surety, and most don't even have half that. At the end of the day, nearly all of the proposed solutions are effectively best guesses.

Q. "Do folks not realize that for many of the problems we expect our political leaders to resolve, informed trial and error is the only real option?"

A. Most folks don't realize, because they don't think, as is obvious on the wedge issues that will continue to flummox the world as The Congress continues to row the ship of state with a single starboard oar.

...Hyper-partisanship is a disease, and we got it bad, as every thread on this board proves.
What ever happened to the idea of that the worst thing one can do is to take no action on a given matter? Do folks not realize that for many of the problems we expect our political leaders to resolve, informed trial and error is the only real option? Regardless of where one's proposed solutions fall on the political spectrum -- liberal to conservative -- none of them have any 100% surety, and most don't even have half that. At the end of the day, nearly all of the proposed solutions are effectively best guesses.
Absolutely, and that's where the narcissism of partisanship is so counter-productive.
  • I'm completely right, you're completely wrong.
  • I have only valuable ideas & opinions, you have none.
  • I'm smart, you're dumb.
  • I must win, you must lose.
You see and hear it all the time, and certainly on this board. It's childish, but it appears to now be part of our culture vis a vis politics.

Absolutely, and that's where the narcissism of partisanship is so counter-productive.
  • I'm completely right, you're completely wrong.
  • I have only valuable ideas & opinions, you have none.
  • I'm smart, you're dumb.
  • I must win, you must lose.
You see and hear it all the time, and certainly on this board. It's childish, but it appears to now be part of our culture vis a vis politics.
You forgot:

I don't agree with you so I'm putting you on ignore.

I have searched, in vain, for someplace in cyberspace where real conversation is possible. This poisonous partisanship is everywhere. Imagine if all this anger could be focused constructively.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson

Wow. Tolerating a difference of beliefs! This guy musta been a commie! Imagine, finding common cause with people you disagree with. How un-American.

It all comes down to education. We have failed, miserably, to teach people what their responsibilities are. Ignorant people are dangerous in a democracy. So all we have to do is fix education. Easy, right?

I have searched, in vain, for someplace in cyberspace where real conversation is possible. This poisonous partisanship is everywhere. Imagine if all this anger could be focused constructively.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson

Wow. Tolerating a difference of beliefs! This guy musta been a commie! Imagine, finding common cause with people you disagree with. How un-American.

It all comes down to education. We have failed, miserably, to teach people what their responsibilities are. Ignorant people are dangerous in a democracy. So all we have to do is fix education. Easy, right?
Improving education may be enough -- good luck with that -- but I think that most of our problems are cultural at their base.

The behaviors of otherwise perfectly normal people have changed. There is so much bumper sticker-speak right now, and so little independent thought. Add to that a more widespread nastiness that pervades everywhere, and I just choose not to get too far into conversations at this point.

If someone wants to think that they have somehow "won" an argument - whatever the hell that means - great, I'll let 'em think that. So much of the time, I may as well be trying to communicate with a wild-eyed teenager on the streets of Damascus. I'm not going to change their mind.

Is that really the President's job. To improve the lives of people that share his/her skin color. It kind of seems like you are assuming he should because he is African American. I honestly don't remember Senator Obama running for President of the Black United States. Did you ponder the benefits to Caucasians of the Bush or Clinton administrations too?

lib- hint- hope and CHANGE. NOT politics as usual. And btw Barry was the first black pres.

Forum List

Back