It's Time to Change The Tone of Our 'Politics' Coverage

In May, I made an appearance on "Hardball with Chris Matthews," one of MSNBC's political shows. The segment's main focus was the current state of the Republican Party.

When the segment ended and I walked off the set, I knew that that would likely be my last appearance on "Hardball." I had decided that I would not accept another invitation to appear on the program, should one come.

For those of us who enjoy following politics and are interested in the news, there are fewer and fewer options on television. The Sunday shows and PBS programming - "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer," for example - remain, and there are a handful of others worth watching elsewhere (e.g., "Morning Joe" on MSNBC is fun, informative and thoughtful, and CNN and C-SPAN have their moments). But too often, caricature and vitriol have replaced reporting and analysis.

and furthur down

Chris Matthews is a smart, politically astute observer of politics, but my last appearance convinced me that "Hardball" has evolved from a straight political news program with quality guests to one that has more in common with its network's prime-time slant. Like most of the evening programming on MSNBC and the Fox News Channel, "Hardball" has become a partisan, heavily ideological sledgehammer clearly intended to beat up one party and one point of view.

During the show on which I appeared, Matthews referred more than once to Republicans as "Luddites" and took every opportunity imaginable to portray them as crackpots. The show's topics inevitably pander to the most liberal Democratic viewers and present Republicans and conservatives in the least flattering of terms.

and do we still wonder about why we are divided welldowehuh?

RealClearPolitics - It's Time to Change The Tone of Our 'Politics' Coverage

Totally agree. I used to be a regular viewer of Hardball..for several years even. Chris Matthews has turned into a bitter,ugly little hack. Too bad he trashed his reputation and sold out(same with Anderson Cooper). The only people who think he has any credibility are the hard left loonie toons who will ultimately turn on his ass if he steps out of line down the road..

Really? Is that true of all Democrats?

So you want to change the tone, and yet you want to paint Democrats with broad brushes and overgeneralize?

who said all,, show me?? and change the tone??? Never happen,, you don't have it in you..

Generally when you say something the presumption is that its all, unless you use another parameter. Just how the english language works.

And no, the tone won't change, but if you are going to bitch and whine about it, the very least you can do is not contribute to it. But then consistency never was your strong point, was it?

ain't bitching,, ain't whining.. just pointing out for knuckleheads who wonder why we are a nation divided.. tis all!:eusa_whistle:awaaaay down south in dixie :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Fox News has more left wing guys on the pay roll than The entirety of the alphabet soup media has right wingers combined. All you can do is bitch about the coverage on fox News while totally ignoring the far more slanted coverage of actual news on the Alphabet soup gang.

who said all,, show me?? and change the tone??? Never happen,, you don't have it in you..

Generally when you say something the presumption is that its all, unless you use another parameter. Just how the english language works.

And no, the tone won't change, but if you are going to bitch and whine about it, the very least you can do is not contribute to it. But then consistency never was your strong point, was it?

ain't bitching,, ain't whining.. just pointing out for knuckleheads who wonder why we are a nation divided.. tis all!:eusa_whistle:awaaaay down south in dixie :eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle:

Really? Your just pointing out why we are a nation divided? You weren't, for example, saying that its time to change the tone of politics coverage?

Really? Your just pointing out why we are a nation divided? You weren't, for example, saying that its time to change the tone of politics coverage?

no,, I didn't write the article.. posted it to point out why we are divided, don't think it will ever change,, so there's probably a good thing about divving things up and going our seperate ways.. you guys are idiots.we will give you San Francisco.:lol:

Huggy you caling anyone else on this board an idiot is more like a testimony to their intellectual acumen.

Forum List

Back