It's Time For Obama To Step Up

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
Our nation owes this man and his family. I'd like an explanation from our government as to why we're not doing all that we can to help. How do we expect to enlist locals to provide intel if we don't protect them?
The Pakistani doctor sentenced last week to 33 years in prison for helping track Usama bin Laden suffered torture, isolation and starvation during his interrogation, his brother told Fox News -- as he made an appeal from the family for the U.S. Embassy to help fight his legal case.
Jamil Afridi told Fox News in an interview that the Embassy so far has not reached out to the family of Dr. Shakil Afridi.

Brother says Pakistani doc tortured, appeals to US for legal help | Fox News

Our nation owes this man and his family. I'd like an explanation from our government as to why we're not doing all that we can to help. How do we expect to enlist locals to provide intel if we don't protect them?
The Pakistani doctor sentenced last week to 33 years in prison for helping track Usama bin Laden suffered torture, isolation and starvation during his interrogation, his brother told Fox News -- as he made an appeal from the family for the U.S. Embassy to help fight his legal case.
Jamil Afridi told Fox News in an interview that the Embassy so far has not reached out to the family of Dr. Shakil Afridi.

Although your motivations are probably suspect..

I agree.

The guy really did this nation a service.

He deserves our help.

I agree.

He deserves our help.

Damn.. does our agreement mean the Mayan's were right?
And in this case, my only motivation is that this man and his family are being put through hell for helping us and we need to do whatever is necessary to make this right.

Congress kickin' around whether to ransom Afridi with more foreign aid for Pakistan...
:eusa_eh:
Senate Targets Foreign Aid to Pakistan Amid Confusion Over Fate of Doctor Who Helped Get Bin Laden
June 1, 2012 – Confusion surrounds the conviction and imprisonment of the Pakistani doctor at the center of diplomatic wrangling over the help he gave the U.S. in tracking down Osama bin Laden.
The plight of Shakil Afridi has become the latest irritant in the fraught relationship between Washington and Islamabad, with U.S. lawmakers already having withheld some U.S. aid to Pakistan and some now pushing for a total cutoff. Last week it was widely reported that Afridi was sentenced on May 23 by a district court in the Khyber tribal area near the Pakistan-Afghan border to 33 years in prison after being convicted of “anti-state activities,” unambiguously linked in the reports to his involvement with the CIA.

Only after an escalating dispute with the U.S. did Pakistani officials on Wednesday release court documents purporting to show that Afridi’s conviction was instead for providing assistance to a banned militant group, Lashkar-e-Islam. Reports also emerged pointing to a checkered past, with allegations of corruption and sexual harassment of staff. Lashkar-e-Islam itself has denied having any links to Afridi, with a spokesman telling media the group would kill him if it had the opportunity.

The purported Khyber court document did refer, without elaboration, to evidence that Afridi had been involved with foreign intelligence agencies but said it the court did not have jurisdiction, and so had been unable to consider charges relating to that evidence. The judge recommended that the accused may be produced before an appropriate court for further proceedings.

Pakistan’s judicial system is not highly regarded, least of all among critics in Pakistan. A U.N. “special rapporteur on the independence of judges and lawyers,” Gabriela Knaul, this week ended a 11-day visit to the country, and spoke of the need to address urgently “challenges to the independence of judges, prosecutors, court officials and lawyers” in Pakistan. “An independent judicial system should be free from political or any other pressure,” she told a press briefing in Islamabad on Tuesday.

MORE

I agree.

He deserves our help.

I agree with Sallow --- wholeheartedly I agree with the Op Ed. It dissappoints me to no end. Another example of how our sketchy foreign policy gives America a bad name..

And --- it's immoral by any measure...

I agree.

He deserves our help.

Damn.. does our agreement mean the Mayan's were right?
And in this case, my only motivation is that this man and his family are being put through hell for helping us and we need to do whatever is necessary to make this right.

Not the first time that Sallow's gotten totally rationale. Feels GOOD to agree on something.

Don't it??

New Topics

Forum List

Back