It's Time For A Flat Tax.

Overall, the US Public pays nearly 20% Federal, and 10% State & Local, effective income tax rates. Those figures include implicit corporate taxes, passed onto consumers, in product prices. A flat-rate personal income tax would have to be in that "ballpark" to fund Government at current levels.

i want a flat-rate sales tax -- on all sales of all goods & services, parts & labor, retail & wholesale & after-market -- to replace both personal taxes, and corporate taxes. A flat-rate sales tax could be taken "at the cash register", off of every receipt & paystub. No person or business would have to file any tax returns. Government could be funded in real time, at no extra headache or hassle for Public citizens.

Conceptually, an "income" tax penalizes earning. Whereas, a "sales" tax penalizes spending. So, an income tax dis-incentivizes "working hard to get ahead", whereas a "sales" tax penalizes profligacy (and so promotes thrift).

http://www.ctj.org/pdf/taxday2012.pdf

Widdekind, sales taxes are not regressive; they're simply not progressive.

[A general sales tax can be drafted to be somewhat more favorable to lower income earners. We could waive the sales taxes upon items that are a greater proportion of lower rather than higher income families’ purchases. Sales taxes can also be waived for capped threshold amounts of selected items’ sales transactions. Those capped threshold amounts should be annually cost of living adjusted.
For example sales taxes could be waived upon non restaurant and non-catered food sales, for the first $6 of each single trip on public mass transportation and for the first $75 of a residential unit’s monthly utility bills].

I generally disagree with Huckabee but I do agree that a general sales tax is among the simpler and more equitable tax revenue producing methods employed by modern industrial nations.
There’s no such thing as a “fair” tax but some methods are more equitable than others.

To whatever extent feasible I advocate shifting from taxing net incomes to a general sales tax. I am dubious of both the political and economic feasibility of replacing our entire, (both individual and corporate) income tax revenues with a consumption tax. It is certainly financially imprudent to attempt it in a single step.

I advocate we prudently transform our major sources of tax revenue simultaneously and incrementally. After some incremental step, (if I’m correct) our general sales tax will approach an unacceptable rate. We’ll have a federal sales tax and our remaining flatter and lesser tax rates upon net incomes. Otherwise (if I’m incorrect) our taxes upon net incomes will be entirely replaced.

Respectfully, Supposn

"The flat tax would be so simple, you could fill it out on a post card. A post card that would say, in effect, having a wonderful time; glad most of my money is here." -Steve Forbes

"The flat tax would be so simple, you could fill it out on a post card. A post card that would say, in effect, having a wonderful time; glad most of my money is here." -Steve Forbes

Rottweiler, our tax upon net income can certainly be more simplified but a tax upon net income can never be simple.

Lawyers, economists and accountants examining the account books of the same corporation and the corporation’s shareholders, cannot agree among colleges in the same professions or between the professions as to what’s the corporation’s and the shareholders annual net incomes derived from that corporation.

This is prior to considering IRS regulations and determining the portion of the net TAXABLE incomes and their tax rates.

Determination of a transaction’s gross revenue, (a sales tax) is comparatively simpler (than taxing net incomes).

Respectfully, Supposn

The flat tax is a massive tax cut for the wealthy...that's why Forbes supported it

The flat tax is a massive tax cut for the wealthy...that's why Forbes supported it

And those evil rich folks don't deserve to keep their money right?

They deserve to contribute to the society from which they benefit

The top 20% of income earners pay nearly 30% of their income in taxes, explicit (income & sales), and implicit (business taxes buried in product prices). So, a 30% flat tax would not save them money. It would still save everybody time. If government spending was reduced, lower flat taxes could cover the lower costs, currently "carried" by high-income earners.

And a massive tax cut for the wealthy = a massive boost to the economy. Massive jobs created, massive taxes generated from those jobs, massive products manufactured, etc.

They benefit from their hard work and their talent, not from society. In fact, it's society that's dragging them down.

I think the rich already contribute their fair share, provided they're being taxed at clinton-era levels. Which...they aren't.

Anyway, I disagree that the rich need to pay out more, but I also disagree that they don't benefit from society. Everyone benefits from society as a whole.

And a massive tax cut for the wealthy = a massive boost to the economy. Massive jobs created, massive taxes generated from those jobs, massive products manufactured, etc.

Got anything to back that up? I mean actual information, not opinions.

Explain a flat tax that will not cut down the tax obligation of the wealthy while raising it for the poor
Yeah god forbid we replace inequity with equal treatment under the law

The flat tax does not provide for equal treatment under the law. In the larger scheme of things, it may not even provide for equitable treatment.

At the present time, the IRS Tax Code is progressive, that is those who earn the most pay the most in taxes. The poor end up paying no income taxes at all because, after allowable deductions, they have no taxable income. This may seem unfair, however the income tax is not the only tax burden and the same poor people who pay no income tax pay a disproportionately higher amount in other taxes.

A tax which takes a higher percentage of income from those who make less money is called a regressive tax. These regressive taxes include taxes on cigarettes, alcoholic beverages, telephone services, electricity, gasoline and many other goods and services. Sales taxes on necessities also hammer the poor and middle class harder than those of higher incomes.

I don't know if anyone has ever done a study to determine how much the typical middle class worker pays in total taxes (including all imbedded taxes) and fees. I am inclined to believe that he pays a substantial percentage of his earnings, a lot more than 10%. The progressive tax on income benefits the lower wage earner at the expense of the wealthy; however, the hundreds of regressive taxes and fees are a much heaver burden to those who can least afford them.

The only way to get everyone to pay the same tax rate is to do away with all regressive taxes and tax only income, but that will never happen. It will never happen because governments have an insatiable appetite for funds and they never met a tax they didn't like. In some areas, the tax on a gallon of gasoline is close to 70 cents. Everyone knows that the poor and middle class are the ones most affected by this unfair tax, but no one is doing any thing to change things. In fact, recently there was talk in Washington about increasing the tax.

I would humbly suggest that the progressive tax structure on incomes merely levels the playing field somewhat for those lower wage earners who pay a much higher rate – as a percentage of their income - for the multitude of regressive taxes and fees on goods and services imposed by governments at all levels..

Some posters have suggested that a tax of10% on all income would be bearable, but I disagree. There are many people who are frugal and yet still live from paycheck to paycheck. For these people a tax of 10% on their total income would be devastating.

A flat tax on income might work if there were adjustments made for the lowest wage earners. This could be done by greatly increasing the personal exemption amount for taxpayers and their dependents or by exempting a certain amount of income from taxation. Such a flat tax would not eliminate the unfairness of the regressive tax structure imposed on goods on services; however, it would simplify the insane IRS Tax code which would benefit everyone.

Explain a flat tax that will not cut down the tax obligation of the wealthy while raising it for the poor
Yeah god forbid we replace inequity with equal treatment under the law

The flat tax does not provide for equal treatment under the law. In the larger scheme of things, it may not even provide for equitable treatment.

At the present time, the IRS Tax Code is progressive, that is those who earn the most pay the most in taxes. The poor end up paying no income taxes at all because, after allowable deductions, they have no taxable income. This may seem unfair, however the income tax is not the only tax burden and the same poor people who pay no income tax pay a disproportionately higher amount in other taxes.

A tax which takes a higher percentage of income from those who make less money is called a regressive tax. These regressive taxes include taxes on cigarettes, alcoholic beverages, telephone services, electricity, gasoline and many other goods and services. Sales taxes on necessities also hammer the poor and middle class harder than those of higher incomes.

I don't know if anyone has ever done a study to determine how much the typical middle class worker pays in total taxes (including all imbedded taxes) and fees. I am inclined to believe that he pays a substantial percentage of his earnings, a lot more than 10%. The progressive tax on income benefits the lower wage earner at the expense of the wealthy; however, the hundreds of regressive taxes and fees are a much heaver burden to those who can least afford them.

The only way to get everyone to pay the same tax rate is to do away with all regressive taxes and tax only income, but that will never happen. It will never happen because governments have an insatiable appetite for funds and they never met a tax they didn't like. In some areas, the tax on a gallon of gasoline is close to 70 cents. Everyone knows that the poor and middle class are the ones most affected by this unfair tax, but no one is doing any thing to change things. In fact, recently there was talk in Washington about increasing the tax.

I would humbly suggest that the progressive tax structure on incomes merely levels the playing field somewhat for those lower wage earners who pay a much higher rate – as a percentage of their income - for the multitude of regressive taxes and fees on goods and services imposed by governments at all levels..

Some posters have suggested that a tax of10% on all income would be bearable, but I disagree. There are many people who are frugal and yet still live from paycheck to paycheck. For these people a tax of 10% on their total income would be devastating.

A flat tax on income might work if there were adjustments made for the lowest wage earners. This could be done by greatly increasing the personal exemption amount for taxpayers and their dependents or by exempting a certain amount of income from taxation. Such a flat tax would not eliminate the unfairness of the regressive tax structure imposed on goods on services; however, it would simplify the insane IRS Tax code which would benefit everyone.
a flat tax is okay IF they get rid of all other taxes and combine them in to the flat tax....ALL cig, liquor, excise taxes, social security tax, medicare tax etc...........all combined in to one flat tax, AND with a 10k exemption per person, or there about...

and since ''corporations are people'' they should be hit with a flat tax as well, on their gross earnings as we will be.... :D :lol:

They do and in a higher percentage than most.

What about all those people who benefit and pay no income taxes?

Shouldn't they have to contribute instead of living on the forced largesse of others?

Forum List

Back