It’s The Hottest Summer Ever In Portland…Less than 2 Weeks to September!

August 20, 2015
You are living through what will likely be the hottest summer ever recorded in Portland.

Meteorological summer only has 10 days left (June-August). As of now we’re running almost 3 degrees WARMER than the next closest contender (2009)! In fact we would need to have an average high around 72 and low each night around 50 for the next 10 days to cool our average temperature down to 2009 levels. So…

2015 is going to end up as the hottest summer we’ve ever seen

Airport records go back to 1940; and downtown numbers go back to the late 1800s. But the downtown observation was moved around quite a bit, including up high on roofs (not a good idea), so I don’t put a lot of faith in those earlier numbers in the summertime. You can get a general idea if any other summers have been close by looking at the entire Climate Zone #2 here in Oregon; that’s all lower elevation locations between the Coast Range and Cascades. Check out the NCDC data back over 100 years…the June-August average temperature:

Several things stick out:

1. Before 1958 there are no obvious contenders for really hot summers like we have now.
  2. 1958 is a close call but likely cooler than this year. Here in Portland, Summer 1958 was hot but nothing like this year.
  3. As I mentioned in a blog post last September, our summers are definitely turning warmer. Just since my teenage years (1980s), our summer weather has been warming about 0.5 degree per decade. That’s 5 degrees/century IF that pace were to keep up! Obviously 35 years is a relatively short time period so you have to be careful.
FOX 12 Weather Blog

The northwest has cooked is all I will say! Most of the world has this year outside of the eastern united states.

So what?

It's local not global

It proves one of the biggest warm anomalies to be very real! ;) This covers Oregon, Washington, Califorina, and up to Alaska! You can't just say it is in the far isolated eastern Russia or Africa where there's little in the way of stations....That is the what!

August 20, 2015
You are living through what will likely be the hottest summer ever recorded in Portland.

Meteorological summer only has 10 days left (June-August). As of now we’re running almost 3 degrees WARMER than the next closest contender (2009)! In fact we would need to have an average high around 72 and low each night around 50 for the next 10 days to cool our average temperature down to 2009 levels. So…

Airport records go back to 1940; and downtown numbers go back to the late 1800s. But the downtown observation was moved around quite a bit, including up high on roofs (not a good idea), so I don’t put a lot of faith in those earlier numbers in the summertime. You can get a general idea if any other summers have been close by looking at the entire Climate Zone #2 here in Oregon; that’s all lower elevation locations between the Coast Range and Cascades. Check out the NCDC data back over 100 years…the June-August average temperature:

1. Before 1958 there are no obvious contenders for really hot summers like we have now.
  2. 1958 is a close call but likely cooler than this year. Here in Portland, Summer 1958 was hot but nothing like this year.
  3. As I mentioned in a blog post last September, our summers are definitely turning warmer. Just since my teenage years (1980s), our summer weather has been warming about 0.5 degree per decade. That’s 5 degrees/century IF that pace were to keep up! Obviously 35 years is a relatively short time period so you have to be careful.
FOX 12 Weather Blog

The northwest has cooked is all I will say! Most of the world has this year outside of the eastern united states.

So what?

It's local not global

It proves one of the biggest warm anomalies to be very real! ;) This covers Oregon, Washington, Califorina, and up to Alaska! You can't just say it is in the far isolated eastern Russia or Africa where there's little in the way of stations....That is the what!

Cough cough bullshit cough cough

Altered data

Cherry-picked regions

no experiments

Yeah, sign me up

August 20, 2015

FOX 12 Weather Blog

So what?

It's local not global

Matty, you're either insane or lying. You just told us the entire USA doesn't count, now a few states do

August 20, 2015

FOX 12 Weather Blog

So what?

It's local not global

Matty, you're either insane or lying. You just told us the entire USA doesn't count, now a few states do

Lol,

This warm anomaly cover a large part of western North America and the eastern pacific...

August 20, 2015

FOX 12 Weather Blog

So what?

It's local not global

Cough cough bullshit cough cough

Altered data

Cherry-picked regions

no experiments

Yeah, sign me up

SO I guess mostly automated data is all a lie. LOL!!!! No this isn't altered but very real.

August 20, 2015

FOX 12 Weather Blog

You just pegged my Bull Shit METER...

You really need to get some real facts and not concocted bull shit.. Try 1936 and 1937 and the fires during that time.. Remove the KArl Et Al and NOAA/GISS adjustments of up now and down then and their is no statistical significance between the two.. Funny how the real data shows you all liars..

Last edited:
August 20, 2015

FOX 12 Weather Blog

So what?

It's local not global

Thats because most of the US is NOT having the hottest anything eva...

Forum List

Back