It's Robert E. Lee Day, January 19th: How Will You Celebrate This Hero, Southern Pride And Heritage?

Are you kidding me? Plantation slaves cost non-slaves jobs.
Not the type that would have been part of an industrialized society. Slaves did essentially the same work that illegals do now.
Are you going to make the case that slaves weren't intelligent enough to work in factories or that non-slaves wouldn't do farm work?
The argument is about the balance that produces the most efficient economy. Slaves were not going to do the manufacturing work that non-salves would need. The less that field work that was necessary would be reflected in the reduction of slavery. Slavery would have become obsolete.
Why to you imagine slaves would not do manufacturing work?
They would cut into whites's jobs. A successful industrial economy needs a working class.
So does an agricultural economy. I do not buy your argument.

Not the type that would have been part of an industrialized society. Slaves did essentially the same work that illegals do now.
Are you going to make the case that slaves weren't intelligent enough to work in factories or that non-slaves wouldn't do farm work?
The argument is about the balance that produces the most efficient economy. Slaves were not going to do the manufacturing work that non-salves would need. The less that field work that was necessary would be reflected in the reduction of slavery. Slavery would have become obsolete.
They would cut into whites's jobs. A successful industrial economy needs a working class.

As if individual business owners gave two shits (today or back then) about the economy in the macro. They care only about themselves and cutting every imaginable corner to maximize profit or shareholder value.
Of course. And they need a clientele. Slaves weren't going to buy any goods.

Who is picking the fruit right now? And who is doing the industrial work?

In both cases, Latinos, not slaves.

Employed persons by detailed industry, sex, race, and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity

On January 19th, Americans will celebrate a true hero, a national treasure of Southern Pride and White Heritage. Robert E. Lee is a true icon and he should be remembered as such. How will you celebrate this remarkable gentleman?
He is neither a hero nor national treasure. His actions were treasonous.

Lee surrendered like a gentleman and dismissed calls for guerrilla warfare which would have only prolonged the suffering of the war. I didn't agree with his cause or some of his politics but only a fool would deny his military capabilities.
This is all true but shame on Lee for not surrendering after Gettysburg. He was smart enough to know it was over. Historians mostly agree that he held on in hopes that Lincoln would be defeated in November of 64 but when that didn`t happen.....the thousands of deaths to follow were just murders IMO.

Gettysburg and The Fall of Vicksburg the next day pretty much sealed the fate of The Confederacy. I don't fault Lee for not surrendering any sooner b/c Davis would have replaced him in a heart beat with some whom would have prolonged the war even further.
Union morale and political will to continue fighting was at it's lowest ebb in 1864. The siege at Petersburg nearly broke the Union Army as well. The outcome seemed far from certain at the time.

While true, The Union would have kept fighting for as long Lincoln had breath in his body.

The whole time period is super fascinating.
Makes you wonder what would have happened if Lincoln had been assassinated in 1861.
Is that what you would wish for? I'll bet if it were your people who were slaves you'd have a different perspective.

It will pass un noticed as it should. The man was a traitor and deserves his place of infamy in History.
Are you proud of your White heritage
The Confederates had better Generals
The Union probably had more than enough officers qualified to command. Unfortunately many Union officers received their commissions through a corrupt system based on political favoritism which prevailed at the time.
Like George Armstrong Custer.
There is no such thing as 'white heritage.' It is something racists have made up to feel superior because they have low self esteem. We are all one race and color makes no difference.

As if individual business owners gave two shits (today or back then) about the economy in the macro. They care only about themselves and cutting every imaginable corner to maximize profit or shareholder value.

If Wal Mart could get away with paying their people $0.00 per hour, they would do this; as would Target, as would Petsmart, as would Denny's. There are plenty of other employed citizens to make sales. Additionally, it takes a lot fewer sales when your overhead is nothing in terms of payroll.

If Wal Mart could get away with paying their people $0.00 per hour, they would do this; as would Target, as would Petsmart, as would Denny's. l.

No they wouldn't.

I would celebrate the fact that, by the end of his life, he had come around to the fact that slavery was a moral evil, unlike many of his Confederate counterparts.

That makes my point.

If Wal Mart could get away with paying their people $0.00 per hour, they would do this; as would Target, as would Petsmart, as would Denny's. There are plenty of other employed citizens to make sales. Additionally, it takes a lot fewer sales when your overhead is nothing in terms of payroll.
People need sustenance. Kiosks would be a more effective argument.

That makes my point.
No, if slaves were available, they would be doing both.

That makes my point.
And put non-slaves out of work? Get real.

That makes my point.
Automation alone would render slavery obsolete.

Forum List

Back