It’s only a matter of time.

Capitalist

Jeffersonian Liberal
May 22, 2010
It’s only a matter of time.
(CNSNews.com) — Representatives from both parties on the House Homeland Security Committee said on Thursday that they agree with the assessment made by the Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism that it is likely that by 2013 terrorists will launch an attack somewhere in the world using a weapon of mass destruction. The commission had warned that terrorists were “more likely” to use a biological than a nuclear weapon.
“The Commission believes that unless the world community acts decisively and with great urgency, it is more likely than not that a weapon of mass destruction will be used in a terrorist attack somewhere in the world by the end of 2013,” stated the bi-partisan report, “World at Risk.” “The Commission further believes that terrorists are more likely to be able to obtain and use a biological weapon than a nuclear weapon. The Commission believes that the U.S. government needs to move more aggressively to limit the proliferation of biological weapons and reduce the prospect of a bioterror attack.”
The U.S. Commission on the Prevention of Weapons of Mass Destruction Proliferation and Terrorism released the report in December 2008. The commission was chaired by former Democratic Sen. Bob Graham of Florida, who once served as chairman of the Senate intelligence committee, and former Republican Sen. Jim Talent of Missouri.
On June 10, 2010, during a press conference on Capitol Hill, CNSNews.com asked a bi-partisan panel of members of the House Homeland Security Committee if they agreed with the commission’s warning about the likelihood of a WMD terrorist attack by 2013.
“Nothing I’ve seen [from the intelligence community] would say it would not happen,” Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), the ranking Republican on the panel, told CNSNews.com.
“Just in the last year we’ve seen three attacks against the United States . . . you add radioactive material to that and we’re talking about a WMD,” said Rep. King.
Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.Y.), another member of the homeland security panel, echoed his Republican counterpart, saying, “I found that the supportive evidence leads me to believe that [the Commission’s warnings are] right on target.” . . .

Forum List

Back