It's Official--Romney and Ryan for 2012!!!

What do you think of Paul Ryan as the Vice President pick?

• A good choice.

Votes: 30 47.6%
  • I’m disappointed but will support the ticket.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • A poor choice.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Ryan is a good man but will make it more difficult for Romney to win.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Barack Obama just won the election.

Votes: 18 28.6%
  • Other and I'll explain in my post.

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
Actually I am encouraged because every one of our more leftists friends here are declaring Ryan a terrible choice, a disaster, a final nail in Romney's coffin, etc. etc. etc.

Usually that kind of reaction means that they see him as a real threat.

They were able to pretty well successfully destroy Sarah Palin who simply didn't have enough credentials accumulated to fight them off.

I rather expect Ryan is going to be more difficult to demonize, and will be better at setting the record straight and defending himself.

This is what the right wing said about Bachman, Cain, Perry, Gingrich, Santorum. You remember those guys right? The liberals were supposedly so "scared" of those guys and everytime you said that; they would implode. It was obvious to most it was going to happen. The sad thing is that the myopic supporters of these candidates couldn't see the innate shortcomings and just how bad they were at campaigning in Perry's case.

Ryan doesn't give me cause for pause in the least. I say this for the obvious medicare reform he wants to enact. The truth is that most seniors are happy with their medicare and happy that the President is closing the Part D "donut hole." In other ways, the qualification question will come up eventually. He didn't run for President so obviously he doesn't think he's ready to assume the office; has served 13 innocuous years as a congressman from the Wisconsin 1st district; not exactly Broadway or Sunset. His resume is thin and it points to the Governor's judgment that this guy is "ready on day one" to take over. If anyone were to say that they'd feel comfortable with a Ryan Presidency at this stage, you'll get a howling laugh from most of the public.

This was a terrible pick from the choices that Romney had. Choices that would have delivered the same demographic without the baggage that will sink the Governor's aspirations for winning Florida. Arizona may be back on the table.

The Governor could have done worse, however. Ryan is a superior pick to Sarah Palin.

My only regret is that this isn't 2016. That would ensure a 12th year of the Oval being center-left.

His resume is thin

Compared to Obama's resume, Ryan's looks alot like Michelle from behind.

Then you need to ask yourself this.............

Why is Obama unable to convince Congress to come his way? A good, capable leader would know how to convince members of Congress in order to get his bills passed. Reagan could do it. Clinton could do it. Obama could not.

That is HIS failure and blaming others is a big part of his problem. Blaming others never got anything accomplished. As a result the past 3 years have been a big fat zero.

So now you're saying if Romney is elected, we would be looking at not only corruption but a "failed economy", too.

Our economy is already failing. Do you really believe it's going to get any better if Obama is reelected? Do you think he's suddenly going to have a Democrat House and Senate so that he can slide his bills through?

I think you know that isn't going to happen. So are you saying you're resigned to 4 more years of failing economy?

If you're really optimistic about Obama, why or how do you see him solving our problems, including your health situation?

Isn't The ONE the FIRST President in HISTORY to have a budget proposed which was not only defeated in both houses of Congress, but which received not even ONE "yes" vote?

I seem to recall somewhere back in the dim recesses of my memory that Bill Clinton's first budget, also submitted to a Democratically controlled Congress, also was universaly DOA. But at least he stayed on the job and did it for the next seven years. It seems our current Fearless Leader just quits or changes the subject if things don't go his way.

I don't think Pres. Clinton though received ZERO votes in the House AND zero votes in the Senate.

Pres. Obama's budget proposal did suffer that ignominious fate.

You're probably right. I am probably thinking of Hillarycare that nobody dared vote for. Maybe it was his first budget that got no Republican votes? I dunno and am too lazy to look it up this morning.

There are links to budgets on Obama's government website, but none since 2009 that have passed Congress and none since 2009 that are binding on anybody. And with Harry Reid declaring that the debt ceiling limit is sufficient as a 'budget', it is fairly safe no budget will be forthcoming from this Congress this year either.

You can bet that in a Romney/Ryan administration, a competent budget will be presented from the President's office and the President's office will be competent to argue for everything in it. And I bet it won't include a trillion dollar deficit.

Anyone who refers to Ryan's 14 yrs.......

of service as "innocuous" reveals their own ignorance of the subject they are so clumsily trying to denigrate.

I've read that the DNC is publicly acting excited, but they're actually scared of the fact of having to face Ryan in the Presidential race.

I can say one thing.. I was called a racist by a moveon.org activist today for asking a black guy if he supported abortion.. Haha, what nerve.. My future wife is half-black..

There were also a LOT of black folks at the Romney event.. What an encouraging sign! One of the guys held a Romney sign across from the protestors and you could tell they didn't like it!

Congratulations.

Yes, that is a controversial concept that the Democrats and Obama will no doubt try to demonize as much as possible.

So it all boils down to whether likely voters understand that if we don't fix that program, it will continue to swallow more and more of the nation's resources and be more and more of a drag on the economy. . . .or. . . .

They will vote for the status quo out of fear.

We are ready for real hope and change and Romney/Ryan's competence in being able to sell it, or we aren't. It all comes down to that.

They do not have to try to demonize what is seen as a demon by many if not most. The "we" you speak of that is important is a small subset of voters in an all important state that is so equally divided that small subsets are important. The senior citizens in Florida will need equal convincing. Ryan's only hope is that they break out large-type actuarial tables cross referenced to the changes he wishes to make and have faith that they keep listening after the "no" answer to "Will we still get our checks?"

I like to think we senior citizens are also capable of rational thought and respond to truth and reason and good information. Unfortunately only some of us participate on boards like this or dig for our own education on any given issue. The rest depend on the newspapers and television for their information.

So yes, because the Obama supporters and their surrogate mainstream media will so distort the truth, it is going to take great skill on the part of Romney and Ryan to make the truth understandable. And they'll probably have to buy the space and time to get it out there as we no longer have an honorable press who can be trusted to tell the truth about much of anything.

They don't have to distort the truth. Ryan and the Governor wants to convert Medicare to a voucher system. Is that not the truth? Most medicare recipients are happy with their medicare coverage and don't want it tinkered with in a way that will result in lesser benefits. That IS the truth.

I wish the Governor and the Congressman luck with their endeavor. With 87 days to go and a nationwide race to run; it won't work.

Circling the drain.

Two questions you can expect to hear repeated over and over for the next three months:

Where's your plan, Mr. President?

Where's your budget, Mr. President?

Here, here, and here.

Too early to rep you for that. The president has submitted budgets and Congress refuses to act.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/may/16/obama-budget-defeated-99-0-senate/

I wouldn't call a 99-0 vote against your budget in the Dem controlled Senate "refuses to act".
I'd call it, "even your liberal buddies know you're radioactive".

These are the O's PLANS?

Didn't bother to read them, did you?

Did you know the first link is nothing but a lengthy page trying to pat himself on the back for PAST PLANS. One might also note, had one bothered to read it, that it's badly out of date and really needs updating......at least to reflect the decision of the USSC on ACA. Don'cha think that might be a good idea?

The next two links are identical data - the O's budget that went nowhere in the Senate. I guess you forgot to tell us these were failed plans. But that's OK. Some people can't tell the difference between past and present...........

Too early to rep you for that. The president has submitted budgets and Congress refuses to act.

Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate - Washington Times

I wouldn't call a 99-0 vote against your budget in the Dem controlled Senate "refuses to act".

You could call it that from an unsophisticated viewpoint. The Congress did the same to a Reagan budget once. It's what happens when you have one house i n Congress that hates the President. And it's also what has resulted from our turning a blind eye to poltical appointees being able to steer and stop legislation in the Senate.

But the point is that the President has submitted a budget. All stories to the contrary are simply lies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I must disagree with your statement.......

I am 71, also on Medicare, and I listened to every word Ryan spoke this morning. At no time did he say anything about "taking away" Medicare. In fact, just the opposite. He said if you are 55 or older and/or already on Medicare, there will be NO changes.

He has never said anything different regardless of what the Dem smear ads would like you to believe.

There is no question that Medicare as it exists today is simply not sustainable for the future. Changes MUST be made. If those changes are made now, they will be fair less painful than if we wait until we are plunging over that cliff.

Fearing that change only puts off what most of us know must happen one way or the other....or Medicare just won't exist for us.

So, what if you're 54 and been putting into the system for close to 40 years? You're just shit out of luck? Your older siblings will be taken care of, but you get some shitty voucher that doesn't come close to paying the bills? No thanks.

Romney had a very slim chance of winning this election, now he had even less. I like Ryan, I think Ryan has the right ideas but he's so easily vilified by the left and the left wing media that it was a poor choice.

the Obama campaign must be pleased as punch over this.

There is no republican that democrats wouldn't already have their talking points created. It wouldn't matter who it was, they will all be villified by the left. Not only villified, but easily villified.

No, they can try with anyone but most are not done so easily. Essentially, winning relies on being able to CONTROL the conversation. To steer it toward places your opponent in weak and you are strong. It is one place that Mitt has been struggling with as well since Obama is actively defining Romney rather than Romney defining himself. With Ryan as the pick, they are going to lose all control of the conversation as it goes to his budget and their need to defend it. Even if they do a good job at this you will find one thing missing in that conversation, Obama’s stances. He won’t need a stance at all, just keep the focus on the Ryan plan and he can win on that.

I find it hilarious because Obama mine as well not even campaign this is going to be the easiest re election win EVER. He had a chance to pick Rubio who is Latino and from a swing state Florida,or Martinez from New Mexico a swing state,Woman and Latino. Or Governor Haley from South Carolina a woman and a minority. But he picks a white guy from Wisconsin...just makes no sense to me but hey I wasn't gonna vote for him in the first place and this hasn't changed my mind and I am not voting for Obama either. November 6th will be a 55% Obama,35% Romney,10% Gary Johnson.

Obama budget defeated 99-0 in Senate - Washington Times

You could call it that from an unsophisticated viewpoint. The Congress did the same to a Reagan budget once. It's what happens when you have one house i n Congress that hates the President. And it's also what has resulted from our turning a blind eye to poltical appointees being able to steer and stop legislation in the Senate.

But the point is that the President has submitted a budget. All stories to the contrary are simply lies.

You could call it that from an unsophisticated viewpoint.

Could you give me the sophisticated explanation for this?

Coupled with the House's rejection in March, 414-0, that means Mr. Obama's budget has failed to win a single vote in support this year.

The Congress did the same to a Reagan budget once.

Zero votes? Link?

It's what happens when you have one house i n Congress that hates the President.

Obviously, that explains why not a single member of the President's own party voted for his budget. LOL!

Thanks, that was funny!

I hope so but as a 70 year old on medicare I am concerned about his remark this morning about taking it away.; As a congressman he has the typical govt sweetheart deal for he and his family but wants to strip me of the only thing I have for medical care. I need details.

I just went from sitting out the election to voting for Obama. I'm 65 and don't care for the youngster's plan.

Somehow I strongly doubt Romney's choice of VP is going to inspire you to come of the bench for Obama. I call bullshit and suggest that you were firmly in Obama's camp to begin with and are making such an asinine statement in order to stir the political pot.

Going into this weekend, President Obama had the edge, and I believe it will stay that way.

Paul Ryan is an attractive candidate if you're already a true believer, but I think more moderate folks are waiting for substance. It's not enough to say that the President is a failure. You need to say what it is that you will do to help get us back on track.

On that note, Paul Ryan offers us something real, not just theory. His "Plan For Prosperity" is something you can read. His budget is something real that was passed in the House. In it, it extends corporate welfare to major corporations who don't need our money. What's more, he would give these folks an even better deal.

His proposal on Medicare is clear: it would eliminate Medicare as we know it, turning it into a voucher program that cashes Medicare out, gives me a $15,000 subsidy once I'm a senior and says to me that I must go out and shop around in the private market for the best deal. However, before Medicare existed, poverty among seniors was rampant. Big insurers didn't want to cover seniors because as we know, that's the time in your life when you start breaking down.

So what good does $15,000 do me if it runs out by the middle of May? Who picks up the tab for the rest of the year now that I'm in the free market system like everyone else?

Medicare works. It is popular. It works because the rates have been negotiated for our seniors on their behalf so that they can have security and peace of mind, and so that we don't end up in a situation that is unregulated, which means insurance companies would haggle with them over everything and charge them through the nose because they'd be regular customers like the rest of us.

I don't see how Paul Ryan goes more than a week or so without the questions coming in hard and fast about how getting rid of Medicare creates prosperity or jobs for us. He will have to backtrack here on in.

Romney-Ryan represent a party that appears to be out of ideas. Folks like myself, who have supported Republicans in the past, gave them the benefit of the doubt that trickle-down economics would work. Well, it didn't work, but the Romney-Ryan plan is to give even more to the top, at my expense and at the expense of other hard-working folks. It makes no sense.

I remember what it was like for the Republicans who went back home and got yelled at by old white conservatives last year after they passed the Ryan budget. It wasn't a pretty picture. They were elected to pass a jobs bill and it is clear to us all that they have not because they wish to see this President fail.

If I were President Obama, I would use the footage of old white people yelling and booing at Ryan. I would argue that Paul Ryan is certainly a handsome, attractive man with lots of energy, but it's too bad his energy is misdirected since further tax cuts and welfare for Shell Oil and no Medicare for the rest of us is wrong. Just plain wrong.

The dynamic does not change. The Republican ticket simply does not seem able to be able to articulate a vision that makes any sense to us and time is running out.

Paul Ryan will do well on the campaign trail. He's a charming guy. But in the debate he will get stuck because he will no longer be able to preach only to the converted. He'll have to account for his budget, and things will get sticky when that time comes because if you're Biden, you just have to hang back and say, "They would get rid of Medicare as we know it", causing Ryan to have to walk it back and over explain it the rest of the way.

Unless the economy crashes in the next few weeks, the edge is still with President Obama.

Despite the uncomfortable truths he had the guts to air when visiting the UK re. the Olympics, I'm warming to Romney. He puts a lot of faith in traditional Saxon values (perhaps that's why he's proved to be such a successful businessman). I've no idea who this Ryan character is, though.
Oh, our dear Mr. Swagger, Congressman Ryan just wiped the smile off Obama and his entire staff day before yesterday:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPxMZ1WdINs]Paul Ryan: Hiding Spending Doesn't Reduce Spending - YouTube[/ame]

Going into this weekend, President Obama had the edge, and I believe it will stay that way.

Paul Ryan is an attractive candidate if you're already a true believer, but I think more moderate folks are waiting for substance. It's not enough to say that the President is a failure. You need to say what it is that you will do to help get us back on track.

On that note, Paul Ryan offers us something real, not just theory. His "Plan For Prosperity" is something you can read. His budget is something real that was passed in the House. In it, it extends corporate welfare to major corporations who don't need our money. What's more, he would give these folks an even better deal.

His proposal on Medicare is clear: it would eliminate Medicare as we know it, turning it into a voucher program that cashes Medicare out, gives me a $15,000 subsidy once I'm a senior and says to me that I must go out and shop around in the private market for the best deal. However, before Medicare existed, poverty among seniors was rampant. Big insurers didn't want to cover seniors because as we know, that's the time in your life when you start breaking down.

So what good does $15,000 do me if it runs out by the middle of May? Who picks up the tab for the rest of the year now that I'm in the free market system like everyone else?

Medicare works. It is popular. It works because the rates have been negotiated for our seniors on their behalf so that they can have security and peace of mind, and so that we don't end up in a situation that is unregulated, which means insurance companies would haggle with them over everything and charge them through the nose because they'd be regular customers like the rest of us.

I don't see how Paul Ryan goes more than a week or so without the questions coming in hard and fast about how getting rid of Medicare creates prosperity or jobs for us. He will have to backtrack here on in.

Romney-Ryan represent a party that appears to be out of ideas. Folks like myself, who have supported Republicans in the past, gave them the benefit of the doubt that trickle-down economics would work. Well, it didn't work, but the Romney-Ryan plan is to give even more to the top, at my expense and at the expense of other hard-working folks. It makes no sense.

I remember what it was like for the Republicans who went back home and got yelled at by old white conservatives last year after they passed the Ryan budget. It wasn't a pretty picture. They were elected to pass a jobs bill and it is clear to us all that they have not because they wish to see this President fail.

If I were President Obama, I would use the footage of old white people yelling and booing at Ryan. I would argue that Paul Ryan is certainly a handsome, attractive man with lots of energy, but it's too bad his energy is misdirected since further tax cuts and welfare for Shell Oil and no Medicare for the rest of us is wrong. Just plain wrong.

The dynamic does not change. The Republican ticket simply does not seem able to be able to articulate a vision that makes any sense to us and time is running out.

Paul Ryan will do well on the campaign trail. He's a charming guy. But in the debate he will get stuck because he will no longer be able to preach only to the converted. He'll have to account for his budget, and things will get sticky when that time comes because if you're Biden, you just have to hang back and say, "They would get rid of Medicare as we know it", causing Ryan to have to walk it back and over explain it the rest of the way.

Unless the economy crashes in the next few weeks, the edge is still with President Obama.

In it, it extends corporate welfare to major corporations who don't need our money. What's more, he would give these folks an even better deal.

Show me?

Medicare works.

Sure, if you ignore the $60 trillion long-term shortfall.

It is popular.

Sure, free money.

Romney-Ryan represent a party that appears to be out of ideas.

I have an idea, let's spend $800 billion, it'll stop unemployment from rising above 8%.
And by July 2012, it'll take unemployment down to 5.6%.

Folks like myself, who have supported Republicans in the past,

LOL! Right.

gave them the benefit of the doubt that trickle-down economics would work. Well, it didn't work,

You're right, giving more money to government and expecting it to trickle down and cause a recovery never works. But that's the Dems, not the Republicans.

They were elected to pass a jobs bill and it is clear to us all that they have not

They've passed several, Reid won't allow a vote in the Senate.

because they wish to see this President fail.

He's already failed. Everyone can see it.

Forum List

Back