I'ts Official, Men Are More Intelligent Than Women

Joz said:
You would think, wouldn't you? BUT.....

Previous research had shown that larger brains are weakly related to higher IQ, but this study is the first to demonstrate that gray matter in specific regions in the brain is more related to IQ than is overall size. Multiple brain areas are related to IQ, the UCI and UNM researchers have found, and various combinations of these areas can similarly account for IQ scores. Therefore, it is likely that a person’s mental strengths and weaknesses depend in large part on the individual pattern of gray matter across his or her brain.....
While gray matter amounts are vital to intelligence levels, the researchers were surprised to find that only about 6 percent of all the gray matter in the brain appears related to IQ.

Study results appear on the online version of NeuroImage.

In general, men have approximately 6.5 times the amount of gray matter related to general intelligence than women, and women have nearly 10 times the amount of white matter related to intelligence than men. Gray matter represents information processing centers in the brain, and white matter represents the networking of – or connections between – these processing centers.

This, according to Rex Jung, a UNM neuropsychologist and co-author of the study, may help to explain why men tend to excel in tasks requiring more local processing (like mathematics), while women tend to excel at integrating and assimilating information from distributed gray-matter regions in the brain, such as required for language facility.

http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/002244.html

Thank you Joz for such thoughtful and informative replys.

I didn't post the article because I agreed with it, I posted it to provoke conversation, and you came through in spades... :beer:

Now I guess I'll back on otta here and let the PMS/chocolate conversation continue... :cool:

well i have read this read through......i am now 1/2 a bottle of vino into it a fine spring evening .... i can only surmise these british dudes were speaking of letting the little head do the thinking for the big head.....because i was always taught the ....women have the brains to "act" like the weaker sex.....

Forum List

Back