It's Official: Life begins at conception

Quite true. Being poor and pregnant automatically qualifies you for Medicaid and food stamps. All you gotta do is produce a positive pregnancy test from an acceptable provider and proof of income.

Actually it can qualify you for medicaid, but not always food stamps. It is easier to get WIC.

Actually, any time you qualify for Medicaid or cash assistance, you automatically get the food stamps thrown in, at least in my state.

Not in mine! There are different requirements for each program. I received medicaid while pregnant, but did not qualify for food stamps. My friend right now is the same. The State is picking up what her insurance will not pay, but she cannot get food stamps.
You are right I am sure about cash and food, that just makes sense. I of course got WIC while pregnant, because the income cut off is higher.

A baby get oxygen through the umbilical cord. Thats the same as breathing. The intake of oxygen is the breath of life.

So I guess they are wrong again.

I think that is a pretty good try, but the passage mentions nostrils, as in breathing....even our doctors and nurses in labor and delivery do not pronounce the baby being born alive until the baby takes its FIRST BREATH....they slap the baby, looking for that first yelp from the child, because to take that yelp, that first cry out loud signals their first breath....

I guess, the Bible is still confusing for me in this respect, because there are also passages that speak about John the Baptist in womb, leaping for joy in Elizabeth, when she was in the presence of Mary, with Jesus in womb....which indicates the unborn child in Elizabeth was aware of the Messiah in Mary's womb, which only could be known imho, with the Soul being present...I think?

The breath of life through the nostrils happened AFTER humans were formed, NOT during formation, is what that original passage indicates, not through the umbilical cord....?

I suppose, as a faulty human, I still see contradiction between the 2 different scriptures....

It still does not negate that a new human life, scientifically begins with conception, as the first stage of that new life....

Look what you people are arguing about is self sustainable life. Clearly a brand new Embryo can not self sustain its life. However scientifically it is life. It is cells that are growing and expanding. You can not dispute that is alive.

You people are trying to paint this like it is based on religion when in fact there is very solid science behind it. Or are you going to deny that an embryo is living cells that are growing and dividing. Which is by scientific definition ALIVE!

yes, i know that charles, look at what i put in bold in the post above....

they are 2 different arguments, one scientific and one religious, both of which interests me.

care

So, the soul enters the human body AFTER it is formed, and AFTER it takes its first breath of life, as this passage implies???:eusa_eh:

A baby get oxygen through the umbilical cord. Thats the same as breathing. The intake of oxygen is the breath of life.

So I guess they are wrong again.

Well, not to mention that trying to compare the way most people are created, via gestation in the womb, to Adam, the ONE man who was molded out of dirt, is a fairly pointless exercise to start with.

Even in science, life was created from the dust of the earth, from dirt/stardust and the contents within that dirt.....the only difference is the length of time for the formation.

At least that's what has been written into law in Missouri.

It's a question that has perplexed philosophers, theologians and scientists for thousands of years.
Pythagorean Greeks, early Christian church fathers, Talmudic rabbis, Sunni and Shia thinkers, Hindu brahmin and modern bioethicists have grappled with the fundamental, ultimately unknowable, mystery: At what point in our biological development are we infused with a soul? At what point do we become human?

On May 14, the final day of their legislative session, Missouri lawmakers declared the answer, and last month, by withholding his veto, Gov. Jay Nixon signaled that he agreed. On Aug. 28, their answer will become the law of the land.

"The life of each human being begins at conception," according to Senate Bill 793, which will add new regulations to the state's 24-hour informed consent law for abortions.

"Abortion will terminate the life of a separate, unique, living human being."
Those words will be displayed "prominently" on brochures that abortion providers will be required to hand out to every woman seeking the procedure — even if they don't happen to believe the Christian theology the words represent.

New Mo. abortion law counters some philosophy, theology
Actually the bible is quite clear as to when mankind becomes a living soul. Obviously nobody believes the bible no matter what they might say to the contrary!

Gen 2: 7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Considering Adam was not conceived or born of woman, according to the story of creation.... your point is ridiculous

At least that's what has been written into law in Missouri.

New Mo. abortion law counters some philosophy, theology
Actually the bible is quite clear as to when mankind becomes a living soul. Obviously nobody believes the bible no matter what they might say to the contrary!

Gen 2: 7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Considering Adam was not conceived or born of woman, according to the story of creation.... your point is ridiculous
Are you trying to say that women are the stand in for God in this matter?

No.. just saying that using an example from the creation story where God forms Adam from the dust of the ground to parallel birth and conception is ridiculous

The only thing we can do is teach is our children our own beliefs and hope they follow or even become a better person that you are. Religious beliefs and politics should not necessarily be separate, but one should not interfere with the other. It is a woman's body and between the woman and her Creator what is wrong and right.

The only thing we can do is teach is our children our own beliefs and hope they follow or even become a better person that you are. Religious beliefs and politics should not necessarily be separate, but one should not interfere with the other. It is a woman's body and between the woman and her Creator what is wrong and right.

Then is it between just the individual and their creator when the individual decides to take any other innocent life?

Either you protect innocent life under the law, or you don't....

No.. just saying that using an example from the creation story where God forms Adam from the dust of the ground to parallel birth and conception is ridiculous
If you believe that God creates life it is far from ridiculous.

It would equate about as much as saying you created a character on World of Warcraft and that is like conception and birth

The creation story is God creating Adam from the dust of the ground... far from the conception and birth process of all subsequent generations of people... so the 'breath of life' that is referenced does not really equate to the first breath outside of the womb

If a fetus is considered to have all the legal protections of a human being, then consider the following scenario:
A woman takes a medication that can cause the death or serious birth defects in an unborn child.But she does this out of negligence, and not to terminate the fetus' life. Should she be charged with negligent homicide (if the fetus dies) or with some lesser crime if the child is born impaired because she took some medication to treat her own medical condition?
And then of course there is "Fetal Alcohol Syndrome"
"Drinking during pregnancy can result in a child being born with a range of disorders known as fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD), the most severe of which is fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS)."
What charges should be brought against an alcoholic mother for the resultant birth defects in her child caused by her excessive drinking?

If a fetus is considered to have all the legal protections of a human being, then consider the following scenario:
A woman takes a medication that can cause the death or serious birth defects in an unborn child.But she does this out of negligence, and not to terminate the fetus' life. Should she be charged with negligent homicide (if the fetus dies) or with some lesser crime if the child is born impaired because she took some medication to treat her own medical condition?
"Drinking during pregnancy can result in a child being born with a range of disorders known as fetal alcohol spectrum disorders (FASD), the most severe of which is fetal alcohol syndrome (FAS)."
What charges should be brought against an alcoholic mother for the resultant birth defects in her child caused by her excessive drinking?

Was the pregnancy known to her doctor??.. was the medicine to treat a serious illness??

And as for drugs, alcohol, etc... if I am not mistaken there has been precedent of legal action against mothers who have injured their children from such activities... I do not have the luxury right now on fully citing cases or researching completely right now

It would equate about as much as saying you created a character on World of Warcraft and that is like conception and birth

The creation story is God creating Adam from the dust of the ground... far from the conception and birth process of all subsequent generations of people... so the 'breath of life' that is referenced does not really equate to the first breath outside of the womb

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
-- Genesis 2: 7(KJV)

--the Lord God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.--Genesis 2:7 (NIV)

I accept those who take the passage literally. For myself I see story of creation and the first family beginning Genesis 2:4 as an allegorical explanation of how the human race and all other creatures came into being. And just as in the theological statement in Genesis 1 (written at a much later date than Genesis 2), the purpose was to illustrate the ancient Hebrew understanding that everything that exists does so because God made it so. It was in Parable form to make a point and most likely not intended to be taken literally.

And many, most especially many Christians, do know in their bones that everything that exists orginated from God though we have corrupted and spoiled much of what He provided. But that new life within the womb, from the moment of conception, also belongs to God and deserves the right to experience life as any other human. The forming embryo and fetus are not just a mass of cells but are a forming human being.

The staunch pro-choicers don't see it that way, of course, and that's why we should seek reasonable compromise that everybody can live with in peace.

Last edited:

I disagree. Christianity teaches that the unborn don't have souls. No soul, no life.

Actually it can qualify you for medicaid, but not always food stamps. It is easier to get WIC.

Actually, any time you qualify for Medicaid or cash assistance, you automatically get the food stamps thrown in, at least in my state.

Not in mine! There are different requirements for each program. I received medicaid while pregnant, but did not qualify for food stamps. My friend right now is the same. The State is picking up what her insurance will not pay, but she cannot get food stamps.
You are right I am sure about cash and food, that just makes sense. I of course got WIC while pregnant, because the income cut off is higher.

The income cut-off for cash assistance is incredibly low, so that if you qualify for it, you're pretty much guaranteed to be poor enough to qualify for ANYTHING.

One of the benefits of welfare reform was that it gave states greater leeway to streamline their administration of the programs and coordinate them better. Mine chooses to essentially include some amount of food stamps with either of the other two programs, figuring that if you're poor enough for Medicaid, you could probably use some better nutrition in your life, as well. And pregnancy, well . . . you definitely need better nutrition (not, you understand, that they expect poor people to know how to eat nutritiously).

I believe fetal alcohol syndrome is already grounds for taking custody of the child.

More to the point, why is it always all or nothing with people? Why does there always have to be this entire RAFT of shit added onto the desire to JUST NOT KILL BABIES?

I disagree. Christianity teaches that the unborn don't have souls. No soul, no life.

And I staunchly disagree

Was the pregnancy known to her doctor??.. was the medicine to treat a serious illness??

And as for drugs, alcohol, etc... if I am not mistaken there has been precedent of legal action against mothers who have injured their children from such activities... I do not have the luxury right now on fully citing cases or researching completely right now

What I had in mind was prescription medications that one would take for long term chronic conditions.
For example, I take medications to control my cholesterol and to control my high blood pressure. Both medications contain the following warning on their labels:

"Do not use if you are pregnant, suspect that you are pregnant, or while breastfeeding"

A woman taking such medications would need to be alert and know when she became pregnant and consequently terminate taking these medications to forstall the possibility of causing injury to her unborn child.

There are supposedly cases where women actually don't know they are pregnant!

What I had in mind was prescription medications that one would take for long term chronic conditions.
For example, I take medications to control my cholesterol and to control my high blood pressure. Both medications contain the following warning on their labels:

"Do not use if you are pregnant, suspect that you are pregnant, or while breastfeeding"

A woman taking such medications would need to be alert and know when she became pregnant and consequently terminate taking these medications to forstall the possibility of causing injury to her unborn child.

Again.. more factors.. including passing info along to the doctor about pregnancy, what the doctor does to change up the treatment, etc.... IMHO, not really quite the same a crack baby syndrome, fetal alcohol syndrome, etc

Bill, I've heard every off the wall "what if" scenario under the sun in defense of murdering the unborn for the sake of convenience...
What if a woman innocently wanders into the primate enclosure at the zoo for a nap and is impregnated by monkeys in her sleep?
There are a googolplex if "what if" scenarios that have nothing to do with the opposing of abortion.

Just use some common sense Bill...then answer your own "what if".

Forum List

Back