It's Official: Life begins at conception

At least that's what has been written into law in Missouri.

New Mo. abortion law counters some philosophy, theology
Actually the bible is quite clear as to when mankind becomes a living soul. Obviously nobody believes the bible no matter what they might say to the contrary!

Gen 2: 7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

So, the soul enters the human body AFTER it is formed, and AFTER it takes its first breath of life, as this passage implies???:eusa_eh:

Maybe the first breath of life is amniotic fluid.

I'm sure those who oppose Sharia Law in the Mosque threads will be by soon enough to tell us how a state making laws based on Christian religious beliefs is wrong.

Sorry Rob, this isn't religion, it's biology...you know...science.

It's a question that has perplexed philosophers, theologians and scientists for thousands of years.
Pythagorean Greeks, early Christian church fathers, Talmudic rabbis, Sunni and Shia thinkers, Hindu brahmin and modern bioethicists have grappled with the fundamental, ultimately unknowable, mystery: At what point in our biological development are we infused with a soul? At what point do we become human?

On May 14, the final day of their legislative session, Missouri lawmakers declared the answer, and last month, by withholding his veto, Gov. Jay Nixon signaled that he agreed. On Aug. 28, their answer will become the law of the land.

"The life of each human being begins at conception," according to Senate Bill 793, which will add new regulations to the state's 24-hour informed consent law for abortions.

"Abortion will terminate the life of a separate, unique, living human being."
Those words will be displayed "prominently" on brochures that abortion providers will be required to hand out to every woman seeking the procedure — even if they don't happen to believe the Christian theology the words represent.

The fifth week of pregnancy, or the third week after conception, marks the beginning of the embryonic period. This is when the baby's brain, spinal cord, heart and other organs begin to form.

I am glad MO will begin handing out this information you have mentioned.

Fetal development: The first trimester - MayoClinic.com

Sorry Missourian, this is about religion. Different religions have different definitions of when life begins. Christianity does not have a monopoly on that. Never mind what science actually has to say on the subject.

Sorry Missourian, this is about religion. Different religions have different definitions of when life begins. Christianity does not have a monopoly on that. Never mind what science actually has to say on the subject.

:lol:...I can't believe you actually posted that...:lol:

Your concession is duly noted.

There is no concession. You seem to have misread what I said. I was saying that is without even looking at what science has to say, which is different from Christianity.

It's a question that has perplexed philosophers, theologians and scientists for thousands of years.
Pythagorean Greeks, early Christian church fathers, Talmudic rabbis, Sunni and Shia thinkers, Hindu brahmin and modern bioethicists have grappled with the fundamental, ultimately unknowable, mystery: At what point in our biological development are we infused with a soul? At what point do we become human?

On May 14, the final day of their legislative session, Missouri lawmakers declared the answer, and last month, by withholding his veto, Gov. Jay Nixon signaled that he agreed. On Aug. 28, their answer will become the law of the land.

"The life of each human being begins at conception," according to Senate Bill 793, which will add new regulations to the state's 24-hour informed consent law for abortions.

"Abortion will terminate the life of a separate, unique, living human being."
Those words will be displayed "prominently" on brochures that abortion providers will be required to hand out to every woman seeking the procedure — even if they don't happen to believe the Christian theology the words represent.

That's pretty stupid.

Actually the bible is quite clear as to when mankind becomes a living soul. Obviously nobody believes the bible no matter what they might say to the contrary!

Gen 2: 7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

So, the soul enters the human body AFTER it is formed, and AFTER it takes its first breath of life, as this passage implies???:eusa_eh:

A baby get oxygen through the umbilical cord. Thats the same as breathing. The intake of oxygen is the breath of life.

So I guess they are wrong again.

There is no concession. You seem to have misread what I said. I was saying that is without even looking at what science has to say, which is different from Christianity.

I'm afraid not. The science of human developmental biology clearly and unambiguously pronounces life begins at conception.

I'm afraid not. The science of human developmental biology clearly and unambiguously pronounces life begins at conception.

Like I said before, this is about religion and not science. Use whatever justification you like in order to spin it otherwise, but I'm not going to waste my night over a argument of when is life begun.

The argument hasn't been resolved in the two thousand years plus before this evening, and it's not about to be solved tonight. :lol:

Like I said before, this is about religion and not science. Use whatever justification you like in order to spin it otherwise, but I'm not going to waste my night over a argument of when is life begun.

The argument hasn't been resolved in the two thousand years plus before this evening, and it's not about to be solved tonight. :lol:

Are you anti-science?

I'm sure those who oppose Sharia Law in the Mosque threads will be by soon enough to tell us how a state making laws based on Christian religious beliefs is wrong.

Based on Christian Religious beliefs eh. so there is no science at all that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that life begins at conception when cell division begins eh.

You guys love to talk about science. well Science tells us an embryo is life. Period. Are you trying to claim that science does not believe that a developing embryos is indeed life?

Last edited:
it is simple minded to simply proclaim this a religious statement...many non religious philosophers have grappled with the issue for millennia

put away the hate christian hat

A baby get oxygen through the umbilical cord. Thats the same as breathing. The intake of oxygen is the breath of life.

I think that is a pretty good try, but the passage mentions nostrils, as in breathing....even our doctors and nurses in labor and delivery do not pronounce the baby being born alive until the baby takes its FIRST BREATH....they slap the baby, looking for that first yelp from the child, because to take that yelp, that first cry out loud signals their first breath....

I guess, the Bible is still confusing for me in this respect, because there are also passages that speak about John the Baptist in womb, leaping for joy in Elizabeth, when she was in the presence of Mary, with Jesus in womb....which indicates the unborn child in Elizabeth was aware of the Messiah in Mary's womb, which only could be known imho, with the Soul being present...I think?

The breath of life through the nostrils happened AFTER humans were formed, NOT during formation, is what that original passage indicates, not through the umbilical cord....?

I suppose, as a faulty human, I still see contradiction between the 2 different scriptures....

It still does not negate that a new human life, scientifically begins with conception, as the first stage of that new life....

Dig...Knurl...Twist...Cram... Do whatever it takes to make it look like the Bible once again suits your POV!

the decision in roe v wade was based on when the governmental interest in protecting a pregnancy outweighed the interest of the woman in her OWN BODY.

That equation only changes if one assigns religious values.

the decision in roe v wade was based on when the governmental interest in protecting a pregnancy outweighed the interest of the woman in her OWN BODY.

That equation only changes if one assigns religious values.

This law has nothing to do with undermining Roe.

Our pro-choice democrat governor didn't veto it and it is not being challenged by pro-choice groups or Planned Parenthood in Missouri (I'll dig up the story about that and post the link here...http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_eff4f646-2ece-5e11-bbd0-a0a4bebade4d.html).

It's only purpose is to inform those seeking abortions of indisputable scientific facts.

Information and science...what liberal could be opposed to that?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back