It's Official - Hillary Is Top Candidate For 2008

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
Clinton wins S.C. straw poll

By LEE BANDY

Staff Writer

Richland County Democrats held the nation’s first straw poll for the 2008 presidential race Wednesday and the surprise winner was U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton of New York.

“We’re simply delighted,” said Bob Kunst, president of Hillarynow.com, who is traveling the country promoting Clinton’s candidacy.

“This should help us in our effort. It gives us a nice boost.”

Clinton’s victory at the sparesely attended event was a mild upset. Former U.S. Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina, a native South Carolinian and last year’s Democratic vice presidential candidate, had been considered the favorite.

Clinton got 44 votes to 34 for Edwards. Virginia Gov. John Warner came in third with 32 votes and U.S. Sen. Joe Biden of Delaware got 24 votes.

Everyone else scored in the single digits.

The straw poll was conducted by the Democratic Party of Richland County, the most Democratic county in South Carolina and the state’s second-most populous.

Clinton’s supporters worked hard to get their voters to the county party’s event.

Earlier in the day, Kunst promoted Clinton for president at a State House news conference and introduced the beginning of an organized effort here.

Margaret Ann Palmer, a retired state government worker from Columbia, is state director of Hillarynow.com.

Backers hoisted homemade signs, saying, “Hillary Cleaning Up Bush’s Mess” and “Hillary Is the Answer.”

Kunst, based in Miami Beach, said Clinton’s political advisers are aware of his push but stop short of saying it has her blessings. Clinton’s Washington office said Kunst is operating on his own, without any input from the senator.

Kunst traveled to 100 cities and conducted more than 510 news interviews between August 2003 and November 2004.

Kunst came here from the Bonneroo Music Festival in Manchester, Tenn., attended by some 90,000 people. There, he promoted Clinton with flyers, buttons and bumper stickers.

He worked Main Street most of the afternoon, trying to recruit supporters and to get them to attend the straw poll held in the office parking lot of Columbia attorney Joe McCulloch.

There, there was music, drinks, light food and politics — and retired U.S Sen. Fritz Hollings, who also spoke.

Kunst said Clinton “is the strongest Democrat, and if she stops playing ‘centrist’ and becomes the leader she is capable of being, she will be the first woman president in U.S history — with enormous international implications.”

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/news/local/11905946.htm

---

I hear her next opponents will be Al Sharpton, Farrah Fawcett and Mr. T.

I predict the margin of victory will be less than SC.

And Howie Dean was the Top Candidate in 2004, I'll wait until it is official. I still think there is no better way to get out the Republican base than to have her as the Candidate, I think that many Dems would know this and they might just vote for somebody else during the Primaries.

Can you imagine a Hillary vs. Jeb election?
It would be the worst "Loser-Loser" choice since the Reagan era.

She's gonna lose so bad. Her willingness to call bill clinton's rape accusers liars should tell the dems who she really is, but they're blind to the truth of this woman's psychotic evil. Rose law firm. Vince foster. It's gonna be good. They're foolish if they put her up.

Gabriella84 said:
Can you imagine a Hillary vs. Jeb election?
It would be the worst "Loser-Loser" choice since the Reagan era.

That would be a nightmare to me. I have had enough of the whole compassionate conservatives theme for a lifetime. Spend like a drunken democrat, tax like but don't act like an actual conservative, worry about and interfere in State matters, and ignore the border.

What is even worse is I still think Bush was a better choice than Kerry. I need a libertarian type republican.

You make some excellent points.
Every Republican worth his/her salt enjoys bagging on Clinton. But the only reason that a loser like Clinton could be elected (with bigger "mandates" than Bush got in either election) was that the country was disgusted by 12 years of Reaganomics.
The same thing will happen in 2008. The country will be so repulsed by eight years of Bush bumbling and bloodshed that they will elect any loser that the Dems decide to put up. Which is a scary thought.

no1tovote4 said:
That would be a nightmare to me. I have had enough of the whole compassionate conservatives theme for a lifetime. Spend like a drunken democrat, tax like but don't act like an actual conservative, worry about and interfere in State matters, and ignore the border.

What is even worse is I still think Bush was a better choice than Kerry. I need a libertarian type republican.

Libertarians are against foreign wars. This protectionist attitude was fine a few decades ago, but in an age of suitcase nukes and icbms, it's idiocy. That's where the libertarians are.

Gabriella84 said:
Every Republican worth his/her salt enjoys bagging on Clinton. But the only reason that a loser like Clinton could be elected (with bigger "mandates" than Bush got in either election) was that the country was disgusted by 12 years of Reaganomics.
The same thing will happen in 2008. The country will be so repulsed by eight years of Bush bumbling and bloodshed that they will elect any loser that the Dems decide to put up. Which is a scary thought.

The dems will never win again. Look what durbin just said. Libs are making the fatal mistake, for them, of saying what they actually believe.

Well, I for one, kind of hope that Hillary gets the nomination. I almost think it would be good for her to win too. For two terms even. She and the Democrats can then officially take the blame when the bills come to roost and the country finally realizes that we are going broke due to mainly the irresponsible Democrat social plans and spending during the last 40 years.

in the public school system and went to a state university, still I toll only 134 votes. Whooopppeeeeee. And this poll "The straw poll was conducted by the Democratic Party of Richland County, the most Democratic county in South Carolina and the state’s second-most populous", I think that means S. Carolina is in the BASKET for Republicans for the forseeable future. The Dems only get 134 to show and vote. HEHEHEHHEEEEeee Let them nominate Hillary. It will be a landslide...

Gabriella84 said:

I'll take you to task on two things here:

1. Bush got a higher percentage of the popular vote in 2000 (49%) and 2004 (51%) than Clinton got in 1992 (43%) and 1996 (47%).

2. If the country was so repulsed by war, bloodshed, etc., why was Bush reelected in 2004, with a majority of the popular vote, something which no one has done since 1988?

rtwngAvngr said:
Libertarians are against foreign wars. This protectionist attitude was fine a few decades ago, but in an age of suitcase nukes and icbms, it's idiocy. That's where the libertarians are.

This is why I spoke of small "l" libertarian Republicans. You know republicans that believe in individual and State rights, that uphold the Bill of Rights, and believe in actual limited government.

no1tovote4 said:
This is why I spoke of small "l" libertarian Republicans. You know republicans that believe in individual and State rights, that uphold the Bill of Rights, and believe in actual limited government.

Ok mr. persnickety.

gop_jeff said:
To quote Maverick from Top Gun: "Bullshit! You can be mine!" :D

Nah, you'll be the "John Edwards" of the Republican Party. Except you'll be smarter and have a better looking wife who doesn't look like she is about to topple over from a too-big boob job.

(Sometimes plastic surgeons need to learn the meaning of the words, "No, that wouldn't look natural and would make you look stupid!")

no1tovote4 said:
:funnyface

Time for coffee!

:coffee3:

Hey I found something you might like! :funnyface:

ex·am·ple P Pronunciation Key (g-zmpl)
n.
One that is representative of a group as a whole: the squirrel, an example of a rodent; introduced each new word with examples of its use.
One serving as a pattern of a specific kind: set a good example by arriving on time.
A similar case that constitutes a model or precedent: a unique episode, without example in maritime history.
A punishment given as a warning or deterrent.
One that has been given such a punishment: made an example of the offender.
A problem or exercise used to illustrate a principle or method.

rtwngAvngr said:
Hey I found something you might like! :funnyface:

ex·am·ple P Pronunciation Key (g-zmpl)
n.
One that is representative of a group as a whole: the squirrel, an example of a rodent; introduced each new word with examples of its use.
One serving as a pattern of a specific kind: set a good example by arriving on time.
A similar case that constitutes a model or precedent: a unique episode, without example in maritime history.
A punishment given as a warning or deterrent.
One that has been given such a punishment: made an example of the offender.
A problem or exercise used to illustrate a principle or method.

:finger3:

:cheers2:

Forum List

Back