It's obama's fault

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Because it is the best for most people.

ALL HANDGUNS SUCK!
General nervous laughter from the class…
Now let me explain. I love handguns. I teach people to shoot handguns. I carry a handgun on my person constantly. I just spent a fat chunk of money on a fancy new STI 9mm so I could have a better hoser gun for 3gun. Even with that information, every time I say handguns suck, it manages to offend the heck out of somebody on the internet, because the internet exists primarily to let random strangers get offended. So let me rephrase, handguns suck relative to long guns.
Let me break it down for you. There is only one reason we use handguns, and that is because they are convenient. They’re small, light, and you can conceal them on a person. I would look a little goofy with an AK47 under my shirt.
But in comparison to a long gun, they lack power, and they are much more difficult to learn to shoot well. Anything you can mount on your shoulder is going to be a far easier platform to get fast, accurate hits with.

Carbine vs. Shotgun vs. Pistol for home defense « Monster Hunter Nation

Reliability, compactness and capacity, a combination that hard to beat. I carry a 40 cal. but at home I have a pump 12 ga. with a 357 mag. back up and the .40 to back up the back up.

Aw, a macho gun nut thread. Why anyone would want a .223 rifle instead of a good shotgun with 00 buckshot for home defense is beyond me.

I have two questions for those who claim they own a gun to protect their homes:

1. How long have you owned guns for the purpose of home protection?
2. When was the last time you had to use your gun to defend your homes?

I would bet my life that the vast majority of Americans who own guns to protect their homes have never had to use them, and never will.

20 or 24 ga pump with 5 shot cap and #2 shot.

I prefer a shotgun myself, but the AR-15 has a lot less recoil.

Recoil? Holy shit, how many evildoers are you expecting to shoot at one time?

As many as it takes?

I would bet my life that the vast majority of Americans who own guns to protect their homes have never had to use them, and never will.

What a weak attempt to justify banning guns.

That wasn't my argument.

That wasn't my argument.

Then we're agreed it doesn't matter if they ever used them.

A good 10 or 12 gauge magnum loaded with rock salt will take care of business - unless you really want to turn the evildoers into hamburger with 00 buckshot.

Hmm..., I've owned guns most of my adult life, both rifles, pistols and shotguns. I used an M-14, M-16 and 12 gauge at the behest of my Uncle Sam in a place called Vietnam. I hope I never ahve to use one again to protect my family and myself. But I do live in what is considered the boonies. There's no police dept. and State troopers are our response team. Like Sandy Hook School response would be 20 to 45 minutes depending on how far they are from me. In the last year neighbors on either side of me. One about 3/4 of a mile and the other about 1/2 mile were broken into. In one case the woman was home and she was assaulted pretty badly and raped. They took whatever they could stuff in their truck and left. At the present time even as I type my .357 is strapped to my waist.

That's probably true, but if on 10% of them ever use their guns to defend their homes, that's 20 million people.

That wasn't my argument.

Then we're agreed it doesn't matter if they ever used them.

So you would want them simply because you can - not for the 0.005% chance someone might break into your home?

You're right. And while we're at it. Did you know very few policemen ever have to shoot someone throughout their entire career? I mean seriously carrying something just for the off chance you might need it, No reason for them to have guns either.

Because it is the best for most people.

ALL HANDGUNS SUCK!
General nervous laughter from the class…
Now let me explain. I love handguns. I teach people to shoot handguns. I carry a handgun on my person constantly. I just spent a fat chunk of money on a fancy new STI 9mm so I could have a better hoser gun for 3gun. Even with that information, every time I say handguns suck, it manages to offend the heck out of somebody on the internet, because the internet exists primarily to let random strangers get offended. So let me rephrase, handguns suck relative to long guns.
Let me break it down for you. There is only one reason we use handguns, and that is because they are convenient. They’re small, light, and you can conceal them on a person. I would look a little goofy with an AK47 under my shirt.
But in comparison to a long gun, they lack power, and they are much more difficult to learn to shoot well. Anything you can mount on your shoulder is going to be a far easier platform to get fast, accurate hits with.
Carbine vs. Shotgun vs. Pistol for home defense « Monster Hunter Nation
Can you show us any statistics on home owners having to use AK47's or rather AR15's to protect themselves from robbers or invaders...and if they did not have an AR 15, but another type gun, that they could not have protected themselves against an intruder? Any news articles or police facts? Just curious.....???

Forum List

Back