It's not over 'til it's over.

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
The people vow to go to Gaza upon leaving Greece. How long can Greece hold foreign civilians without any legal justification?

And if this flotilla fails, they will just go again.

The people vow to go to Gaza upon leaving Greece. How long can Greece hold foreign civilians without any legal justification?

Yeah, that is pretty nuts.

When did Israel get Gaza? Wasnt it in a war in which Israel was attacked?

If I take a bat to my neighbor's home to beat him and not only does he kick my butt but he takes away my bat, I don't cry to my mother expecting to get it back.

Anyway, I like the idea of another army fighting the extremists besides ours. The enemy of my enemy is....at least as useful as the Soviet Union in WWII if not also my ally

If I take a bat to my neighbor's home to beat him and not only does he kick my butt but he takes away my bat, I don't cry to my mother expecting to get it back.

Anyway, I like the idea of another army fighting the extremists besides ours. The enemy of my enemy is....at least as useful as the Soviet Union in WWII if not also my ally

No. Gaza was occupied Palestinian land. Israel cannot win Palestinian land from Egypt.

No. Gaza was occupied Palestinian land. Israel cannot win Palestinian land from Egypt.

So the Palestinians were in a war with Egypt when Egypt lost the land to Israel?

How long have the Palestinians had a country since the fall of the Roman Empire?

Really I think the peaceful Palestinians like all peaceful Muslims are lined up to get screwed for the next hundred years since we cant let their more excitable brothers build a modern military.

So the Palestinians were in a war with Egypt when Egypt lost the land to Israel?

How long have the Palestinians had a country since the fall of the Roman Empire?

Really I think the peaceful Palestinians like all peaceful Muslims are lined up to get screwed for the next hundred years since we cant let their more excitable brothers build a modern military.

The Palestinians have never been at war with Egypt.

So if not by the Egyptians, who occupied Gaza from the Palestinians when the Israeli's won it?

So if not by the Egyptians, who occupied Gaza from the Palestinians when the Israeli's won it?

Armistice lines (also known as the green line or '67 borders) were drawn on Palestine during the 1949 armistice agreement. These lines were specifically not to be borders. They did not make any changes to Palestine's borders. They designated areas of occupation. Jordan was to occupy the West Bank, Egypt was to occupy Gaza, and Israel was to occupy the rest.

The 1948 war was called by UN Security Council resolution. Nobody won or lost that war. No Palestinian land changed hands in that war.

Armistice lines (also known as the green line or '67 borders) were drawn on Palestine during the 1949 armistice agreement. These lines were specifically not to be borders. They did not make any changes to Palestine's borders. They designated areas of occupation. Jordan was to occupy the West Bank, Egypt was to occupy Gaza, and Israel was to occupy the rest.

The 1948 war was called by UN Security Council resolution. Nobody won or lost that war. No Palestinian land changed hands in that war.

Huh......

So you are saying the Palestinians sprung up as a people in 1947 by edict of the United Nations cease fire and no one has taken their land from them?

I think Palestinians go back at least to the 1920's. Before that they were Ottomans Turks I suppose? These Palestinians just dont go back that far. Missourians go back further. Arabs have been there for 1400ish years but we are talking Palestinians.

Oh well. Looks like either we use our military to give the land back to the Romans or decide might makes right and quit pestering Israel?

Oddly enough the Greeks of Alexander held the land 2500 years before the creation of Palestinians.

Weird place. If the Palestinians expect American or Western support they better start turning over Al Queida members daily.

Huh......

So you are saying the Palestinians sprung up as a people in 1947 by edict of the United Nations cease fire and no one has taken their land from them?

I think Palestinians go back at least to the 1920's. Before that they were Ottomans Turks I suppose? These Palestinians just dont go back that far. Missourians go back further. Arabs have been there for 1400ish years but we are talking Palestinians.

Oh well. Looks like either we use our military to give the land back to the Romans or decide might makes right and quit pestering Israel?

The "Filistine" a Palestinians newspaper was referring to Palestinians as Palestinians since 1913. The Palestinians were calling Palestine their country since it was created by the League of Nations in 1922 when it defined their borders.

A dispute regarding the status of the territories was settled by an Arbitrator appointed by the Council of the League of Nations. It was decided that Palestine and Transjordan were newly created states according to the terms of the applicable post-war treaties.

State of Palestine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Huh......

The "Filistine" a Palestinians newspaper was referring to Palestinians as Palestinians since 1913. The Palestinians were calling Palestine their country since it was created by the League of Nations in 1922 when it defined their borders.

A dispute regarding the status of the territories was settled by an Arbitrator appointed by the Council of the League of Nations. It was decided that Palestine and Transjordan were newly created states according to the terms of the applicable post-war treaties.

But, until the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire the land was theirs. Then it was British I suppose.

A line was drawn on the British map after WWI which did say Palestine.

Does Brooklyn belong to the Brooklynese by this logic? Do American Georgians have the right to independance if they suddenly feel more Georgian than American?

No wait, Georgia has been around for at least 400 years....

PF, Palestinians who purchased realestate between 1922 and 1947 are no doubt getting screwed out of money.

Why do you pick these ppl instead of the Ottomans or Trans Jordinans or British Crusaders or Eastern Romans or Romans or Jews or Greeks or Egyptians as the "rightful" owners.

Huh......

But, until the dissolution of the Ottoman Empire the land was theirs. Then it was British I suppose.

Does Brooklyn belong to the Brooklynese by this logic? Do American Georgians have the right to independance if they suddenly feel more Georgian than American?

PF, Palestinians who purchased realestate between 1922 and 1947 are no doubt getting screwed out of money.

Why do you pick these ppl instead of the Ottomans or Trans Jordinans or British Crusaders or Eastern Romans or Romans or Jews or Greeks or Egyptians as the "rightful" owners.

No matter how you slice it or what you call it, the Palestinians are the people of the place. They are the ones who have the right to self determination including setting up a government and declaring statehood. Foreigners do not have those rights.

No matter how you slice it or what you call it, the Palestinians are the people of the place. They are the ones who have the right to self determination including setting up a government and declaring statehood. Foreigners do not have those rights.

Why? Because you say so? Not good enough. I think the Ottomans stole it from the Eastern Empire myself and that empire won it from the Jews.

I suppose the British were the last before the Jews to own it and as somewhat British subjects the Palestinians did have land deeds. Then again the Brits used their army to get it.

Oh well. Because you support those who support Al Queida's aims or whatever since you were to shy or embarassed to say, you think the 1922 Palestinians own it.

I pick someone else and will proudly say largely because it gives America a friendlyish nation in a backwards part of the world.

Your opinion is as valid as mine. The region is a mess.

They already set up a government and declared statehood in 1988, so what's the problem?

The Palestinian Declaration of Independence[1] was adopted by the Palestinian National Council, the legislative body of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), in Algiers on 15 November 1988, by a vote of 253 in favour 46 against and 10 abstentions. It was read by Yasser Arafat at the closing session of the 19th Palestinian National Council to a standing ovation.[2] The Declaration unilaterally proclaimed the establishment of the State of Palestine. Upon completing the reading of the declaration, Arafat, as Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization assumed the title of "President of Palestine."[3]

At the time of the declaration, the Palestine Liberation Organization did not exercise control over any territory,[4] and designated Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine,[5] which was under Israeli control and claimed by it as Israel's capital.

Palestinian Declaration of Independence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why? Because you say so? Not good enough. I think the Ottomans stole it from the Eastern Empire myself and that empire won it from the Jews.

I suppose the British were the last before the Jews to own it and as somewhat British subjects the Palestinians did have land deeds. Then again the Brits used their army to get it.

Oh well. Because you support those who support Al Queida's aims or whatever since you were to shy or embarassed to say, you think the 1922 Palestinians own it.

I pick someone else and will proudly say largely because it gives America a friendlyish nation in a backwards part of the world.

Your opinion is as valid as mine. The region is a mess.

Palestine has had many flags over city hall over the centuries. Whenever there was a change in leadership it was not that everyone left and a whole new group of people moved in. The old leadership was removed but most the population remained. Some had been there since the beginning of time. Others came later and put down roots.

By WWI, what could be called the indigenous population of Palestine was roughly 20% Christian, a few percent Jews, and most of the rest were Muslims. There was an amicable relationship among these groups. None of these people, including the Jews, wanted a Jewish state created in Palestine. The Muslims, Christians, and Jews are all on the same side. They are the ones who have the right to self determination.

They already set up a government and declared statehood in 1988, so what's the problem?

The Palestinian Declaration of Independence[1] was adopted by the Palestinian National Council, the legislative body of the Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO), in Algiers on 15 November 1988, by a vote of 253 in favour 46 against and 10 abstentions. It was read by Yasser Arafat at the closing session of the 19th Palestinian National Council to a standing ovation.[2] The Declaration unilaterally proclaimed the establishment of the State of Palestine. Upon completing the reading of the declaration, Arafat, as Chairman of the Palestine Liberation Organization assumed the title of "President of Palestine."[3]

At the time of the declaration, the Palestine Liberation Organization did not exercise control over any territory,[4] and designated Jerusalem as the capital of Palestine,[5] which was under Israeli control and claimed by it as Israel's capital.

Also, in 1948 a group of local Palestinian government leaders declared independence. And before that the Palestinians were calling Palestine their country. Being the inhabitants of Palestine, they have the exclusive right to do that under the right to self determination.

Also, in 1948 a group of local Palestinian government leaders declared independence. And before that the Palestinians were calling Palestine their country. Being the inhabitants of Palestine, they have the exclusive right to do that under the right to self determination.

So my neighbor and I have the right to declare our independence?

How about the South Carolinians?

ARTICLE 22.

To those colonies and territories which as a consequence of the late war have ceased to be under the sovereignty of the States which formerly governed them and which are inhabited by peoples not yet able to stand by themselves under the strenuous conditions of the modern world, there should be applied the principle that the well-being and development of such peoples form a sacred trust of civilisation and that securities for the performance of this trust should be embodied in this Covenant.

The best method of giving practical effect to this principle is that the tutelage of such peoples should be entrusted to advanced nations who by reason of their resources, their experience or their geographical position can best undertake this responsibility, and who are willing to accept it, and that this tutelage should be exercised by them as Mandatories on behalf of the League.

The character of the mandate must differ according to the stage of the development of the people, the geographical situation of the territory, its economic conditions and other similar circumstances.

Certain communities formerly belonging to the Turkish Empire have reached a stage of development where their existence as independent nations can be provisionally recognized subject to the rendering of administrative advice and assistance by a Mandatory until such time as they are able to stand alone. The wishes of these communities must be a principal consideration in the selection of the Mandatory.

Avalon Project - The Covenant of the League of Nations

The primary function of a mandate was to assist the local populations (in this case the Palestinians) in creating the institutions required for independence. It was an administrative roll that did not take possession of any land.

ARTICLE 22.

To those colonies and territories which as a consequence of the late war have ceased to be under the sovereignty of the States which formerly governed them and which are inhabited by peoples not yet able to stand by themselves under the strenuous conditions of the modern world, there should be applied the principle that the well-being and development of such peoples form a sacred trust of civilisation and that securities for the performance of this trust should be embodied in this Covenant.

The best method of giving practical effect to this principle is that the tutelage of such peoples should be entrusted to advanced nations who by reason of their resources, their experience or their geographical position can best undertake this responsibility, and who are willing to accept it, and that this tutelage should be exercised by them as Mandatories on behalf of the League.

The character of the mandate must differ according to the stage of the development of the people, the geographical situation of the territory, its economic conditions and other similar circumstances.

Certain communities formerly belonging to the Turkish Empire have reached a stage of development where their existence as independent nations can be provisionally recognized subject to the rendering of administrative advice and assistance by a Mandatory until such time as they are able to stand alone. The wishes of these communities must be a principal consideration in the selection of the Mandatory.

Avalon Project - The Covenant of the League of Nations

The primary function of a mandate was to assist the local populations (in this case the Palestinians) in creating the institutions required for independence. It was an administrative roll that did not take possession of any land.

I am familiar with the Leage of Nations. What does that have to do with 1948? Can I apply the Articles of Confederation to my defense in court in Cuba also?

Hiw big is the Country of Palestine 1922 btw? I am thinking the size of St Louis County?

If it was occupied from 1948 to 1967, why didn't the Arab Egyptians give Gaza to the Palestinians? Why didn't the Palestinians demand it from the Egyptians like they do from the Jews? Because back then calling an Arab a Palestinian was fighting words. The term Palestinians was designated for the Jews. It wasn't until it could be a propaganda piece, was it used to create a new Arab people! Not to mention the vast majority of the so-called Palestinians, who are Arabs, came during the unrestricted immigration period during the British White Paper days!

Forum List

Back