It's not Class War it's Class Genocide.

That and how many classes are there? I thought the working class was the major part of the middle class. Now I find out that they don't work? I've been doing it wrong all these years.....

What? you want to aurgue semantics? would you feel better If I called them rich,middle and poor?

Well there must be some way you can tell us who you are accusing us of wiping out......
Without generalities....

I would like to know for instance if a person who makes $60K a year is Middle class. Or how about $40K? We have no clue who you are talking about.

And is that same $60K in the same class in Rural Kentucky as they would be in Atlanta Ga?

If there's a war here we need to know which side we are on.....

There are many schools of thought on who are the middle class. do you want my opinion or government numbers?

What? you want to aurgue semantics? would you feel better If I called them rich,middle and poor?

Well there must be some way you can tell us who you are accusing us of wiping out......
Without generalities....

I would like to know for instance if a person who makes $60K a year is Middle class. Or how about $40K? We have no clue who you are talking about.

And is that same $60K in the same class in Rural Kentucky as they would be in Atlanta Ga?

There are many schools of thought on who are the middle class. do you want my opinion or government numbers?

Well, you are making the accusations so yours would be relevant, However, I am surprised that there even should be government numbers dividing the people into classes so I would love to see those and where they came from also....

Without generalities....

Well, you are making the accusations so yours would be relevant, However, I am surprised that there even should be government numbers dividing the people into classes so I would love to see those and where they came from also....

The household incomes have been broken down into five divisions or into quintiles by the Census Bureau of the Unites States. It revealed that the middle class income range in the year 2007 ranges between $36,000 to that of $57,660 according to the quintile measurement
Middle class income range · Income · iTaxRebate.com

With help from economist Heidi Shierholz of the Economic Policy Institute, I analyzed Census Bureau data that breaks down household income into nine brackets, going back to 1967, and is adjusted for inflation, which allows apple-to-apple comparisons from year to year. To represent the middle class, I chose three middle brackets that include household income ranging from $35,000 to $99,999. The latest data, from 2009, shows that households with income in that range account for 43.7 percent of all households. That percentage has been shrinking over time. Here's the percentage of all households that middle group, adjusted for inflation, has represented in various years:

2009: 43.7 percent

2000: 45.6 percent

1990: 47.9 percent

1980: 49.3 percent

1969: 53 percent

I listed the figure for 1969 rather than 1970 because that year represented the peak percentage for the middle-income brackets. If you defined the middle class more broadly, and lowered or raised the income threshold (or did both), the peak year would change, but only by a few years. In general, the middle brackets were fattest in the late '60s and early '70s
How the Middle Class Is Shrinking - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

Much of the "argument" is based on semantics and data "interpretation".

not as to wether the middle class works or not....

That's not what I meant. What was the content of the last few previous posts? What constitutes poor, middle class and rich was the topic of the moment. And I see you are using very generalized statistics.

Last edited:

The household incomes have been broken down into five divisions or into quintiles by the Census Bureau of the Unites States. It revealed that the middle class income range in the year 2007 ranges between $36,000 to that of $57,660 according to the quintile measurement

With help from economist Heidi Shierholz of the Economic Policy Institute, I analyzed Census Bureau data that breaks down household income into nine brackets, going back to 1967, and is adjusted for inflation, which allows apple-to-apple comparisons from year to year. To represent the middle class, I chose three middle brackets that include household income ranging from $35,000 to $99,999. The latest data, from 2009, shows that households with income in that range account for 43.7 percent of all households. That percentage has been shrinking over time. Here's the percentage of all households that middle group, adjusted for inflation, has represented in various years:

I listed the figure for 1969 rather than 1970 because that year represented the peak percentage for the middle-income brackets. If you defined the middle class more broadly, and lowered or raised the income threshold (or did both), the peak year would change, but only by a few years. In general, the middle brackets were fattest in the late '60s and early '70s

Thank you, it is what I expected. according to your own link the middle class is shrinking. And the upper class is growing. Thank you, end of argument.

So while the low-income group has been getting bigger in recent years, it's still lower today than it was every year between 1967 and 1998. If you put the lower- and middle-income data together, it might seem puzzling: Compared to the '70s and '80, the middle income group today is smaller, but so is the lower-income group. So if people have been leaving both groups, where have they been going?

Upward, that's where. Here's the percentage of households with incomes over $100,000, again, adjusted for inflation:

2009: 20.1 percent

2000: 20.6 percent

1990: 15 percent

1980: 10.4 percent

1969: 7.6 percent

Without generalities....

I want to know who's keeping you down.

From a link within your link:

The American Dream is in rehab. Unemployment is way too high, the poverty rate is going up, and family income has fallen over the past few years. The bottom line for many families is that it feels awfully hard to get ahead.

[See 12 Ways to Stop America's Decline.]

But America has not become some capitalistic wasteland where ambitious strivers lay spent and broken. It remains one of the most vibrant places in the world. Opportunity exists and prosperity is still attainable. It's harder to find, but gloomy headlines and fear-mongering politicians are exaggerating the death of the American Dream—and creating some misimpressions about how we attain the good life. Here are four bogus assumptions contributing to the national malaise:

The Myth of Disappearing Prosperity - Rick Newman (usnews.com)

I would dearly love to find the data giving us the MEDIAN INCOME AND the standard deviatations from it.

One would think that ought to be easy to locate.

Its not.

Wonder why?

It couldn't be because some of the masters incomes and wealth put them thousands of standard deviation from the median, could it?

Now this is preceisely the KIND of data that ought to be easy to find.

It might however be a just a tad difficult to represent graphically in a society where the MEDIAN SALARY for ALL WORKERs is about $21,000, but some people are making incomes measured in the BILLIONS per year.

Wonder how many standard deviations from the norm a $4 billion dollar salary actually is?

Hundreds? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands?

Let's just say that I am pretty sure than when it comes to describing income and wealth , it's not exactly a BELL CURVE distribution.

If I could try to describe it for you?

It would be a great big wave at the far right of the scale, that was about 2 inches wide that dropped very rapidly with the line (reprenting those of enomous wealth) going to the left for a couple thousand miles.

If you make a million dollars a year you might be a few inches to the right of the median income.

If you made $ 4 billion?

You'd be a couple thousand miles to the right of the median.

AFter all, those guys who took down $4,000,000,000,000 in a year made as much as about 197,000 (+) median workers salaries.

That's one hell of a lot of standard deviations from the median.

Ain't this system grand?

Last edited:
Seriously? I don't really understand the differences between the supposed classes. What I see are individuals and groups of individuals that are or are not cooperating within the systems given to them to utilize to best succeed for whatever best suits them, the individual. The higher one is seems to only represent how far they have to fall if they do not utilize the safety nets put in place for their own security. :(

I simply have to know:

What is middle class?

What makes a person Middle class?

How many Americans are Middle class?

How many are in a poorer class?

How many are just filthy fucking rich and disgusting (according to the obviously poor liberals)

You sit in front of the internet. Don't be such a lazy bastard. Go look that shit up and then come back and report. At least pretend you have something worth saying.

I simply have to know:

What is middle class?

What makes a person Middle class?

How many Americans are Middle class?

How many are in a poorer class?

How many are just filthy fucking rich and disgusting (according to the obviously poor liberals)

You sit in front of the internet. Don't be such a lazy bastard. Go look that shit up and then come back and report. At least pretend you have something worth saying.

Um, rdean, you are a little late on this. I suggest you read the rest of the thread before making yourself look like an even bigger fool.....

GOP want to get rid of the middle class and just have two class system the rich and the working poor.

If you base 'middle class' on income, the middle class does seem to be shrinking. But have you factored in the large numbers of retireesm who are and will be showing far less income on their pensions than they did on their salaries?

GOP want to get rid of the middle class and just have two class system the rich and the working poor.

If you base 'middle class' on income, the middle class does seem to be shrinking. But have you factored in the large numbers of retireesm who are and will be showing far less income on their pensions than they did on their salaries?

"Retireesm" seems to be an "everything old is new again" thing where companies are firing, in large numbers, people over 50.

It's something conservatives support..as they think no one over 50 without a million bucks in their back pocket should live that much longer.

Ask Jan Brewer..it's her policy.

"Retireesm" seems to be an "everything old is new again" thing where companies are firing, in large numbers, people over 50.

It's something conservatives support..as they think no one over 50 without a million bucks in their back pocket should live that much longer.

Ask Jan Brewer..it's her policy.

That has been happening as long as I can remember.

A lot of people have gone back to school to be nurses because a time of shortage pretty much guarantees them work. Unfortunately for them, the nursing shortage has dissipated secondary to this recession. Nurses who were going to retire have not. And part time nurses have gone full time because their husbands lost their jobs. That will be a rude awakening for some folks. Nurses are having to look for jobs these days, something I was never faced with. The jobs always looked for me.

Forum List

Back