It's not about taking money from whites!!!

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Trying to fix 'a moral wrong'

Sunday, November 13, 2005

By MIGUEL PEREZ
STAFF WRITER
NorthJersey.com

LEONIA - Calling slavery "a moral wrong that must be righted ... to cleanse the soul of America," a group of North Jersey residents set out Saturday to look for ways to make reparations to African-Americans.

At the All Saints' Episcopal Church, more than 30 people sought ways to compensate black Americans for the unpaid labor, pain and humiliation endured by their ancestors - and for the economic, social and psychological problems caused by slavery that still affect blacks today.

"This is about repairing the enduring harm that slavery caused to people of African ancestry in so many ways, including financially," said Donna Lamb, communications director for Caucasians United for Reparations and Emancipation. "It's a simple fact that for 250 years whites robbed millions of enslaved Africans of the wealth their labor created. They were forced to work for free, while white individuals, companies and the U.S. government made huge profits off their labor."

On its Web site, CURE expresses "remorse for all the crimes committed in the name of white supremacy" and notes that "true emancipation of the enslaved Africans will not be achieved until their descendants enjoy the freedoms that reparations will provide."

The community forum was the first of many planned by the Newark Episcopal Diocese's Reparations Task Force, created in July 2004 as part of the church's "mission to dismantle racism."

The discussion was led by Lamb and Barbara Wheeler, chairwoman of African Studies at Kean University, who recounted the history of efforts to seek reparations for black Americans.

"This is not a new struggle," Wheeler said. "This has been a struggle since black people have been here."

At the forum, some whites expressed their shame over slavery and some blacks spoke of their anger over the "white privilege" they said is still prevalent in this country.

"My emotional reaction had a lot of shame in it, a lot of sadness," said Annie Byerly, a white woman from Leonia, after watching a movie on the need for slave reparations. "And my intellectual reaction was, 'I've got to fix this.'Ÿ"

The movie caused a different reaction among African-Americans. "I'm speaking softly," said Lorna Cunningham of Teaneck. "But I'm very angry."

Lamb warned the forum participants to "be leery of what you hear or read in the mainstream media about this subject because the powers that be want white people to fear and hate the idea of reparations."

One by one, Lamb sought to answer the lingering questions posed by white Americans who say their ancestors didn't own slaves, or who immigrated to this country after slavery.

"Reparations is not about money being taken out of every white person's personal bank account and handed over to blacks, as the spreaders of misinformation can make it seem," Lamb said. "Individuals do not pay reparations. Reparations are what a government pays a people it has wronged ... with tax dollars." HUH???

She said white Americans didn't have to own a slave to benefit from slavery "because the whole infrastructure of this nation was built on money made from it."

As for those who came after slavery was abolished, Lamb said it doesn't matter. She said they also benefited from a society created by slavery.

"The whole reason people come to this country in the first place is to get in on the wealth that had its origin in slavery," Lamb said. "They don't know it, but these 'streets paved in gold' they came here to find could more aptly be called 'streets bathed in the blood, sweat and tears of enslaved Africans."

Lamb said she is often told she is being divisive for making an issue over something that happened so long ago.

"My response is that the ravages of slavery, both economic and spiritual, are very much alive and immediate today," she said. "You can't brutalize a people massively and then just tell them to get over it."

Agreeing with Lamb, several participants said it should not be up to white people to determine how blacks should spend reparation money. They noted that African-Americans who seek reparations have many good ideas, including funding for education, job training, housing, small businesses, and child and mental health care - to bring blacks up to par with white Americans.

Participants were asked if their churches should be involved in the reparations debate.

"If we are all equal and made in God's image," said Ruth Dougherty of Leonia, "it's a no-brainer."

Stephanie said:
Agreeing with Lamb, several participants said it should not be up to white people to determine how blacks should spend reparation money. They noted that African-Americans who seek reparations have many good ideas, including funding for education, job training, housing, small businesses, and child and mental health care - to bring blacks up to par with white Americans.

And let's not forget decking out a POS with bling bling.

I have no objection to paying a reparation to anyone who was actually a slave. The sky's the limit on the amount. Bring them forward.

So your great great great great grandfather was a slave. Big whoop. My great granddad worked 10 hours a day at a lumber mill for a dime an hour, and his wife and kids had to work to make sure the bills got paid. You know what? My dad's a CPA with a master's degree who makes 6 figures. I did just fine withou the government's "helping hand" or reparations from the government that burned the family plantation during the war, ruining a fortune that was almost as old as the American colonies. So f*** off. You aren't getting a dime from me unless you earn it.

Stephanie said:
"Reparations is not about money being taken out of every white person's personal bank account and handed over to blacks, as the spreaders of misinformation can make it seem," Lamb said. "Individuals do not pay reparations. Reparations are what a government pays a people it has wronged ... with tax dollars."

This reminds me of a caller to a radio talk show years ago, on the savings and loan scandal:

"I don't think American citizens should have to pay for this. I think the government should."

William Joyce said:
This reminds me of a caller to a radio talk show years ago, on the savings and loan scandal:

"I don't think American citizens should have to pay for this. I think the government should."

I disagree. Show me a currently-living, African American who was a slave and I will agree that individual deserves compensation. Show me a white man who owns or has owned a slave and I will agree that individual owes an apology to the person(s) he has enslaved.

Otherwise, NOBODY should be paying or apologizing for anything.

Damn. And I was baptized and confirmed in the episcopal church. Time to pee in an envelope and send it in as my tithe.

If these sorry ass blacks spent HALF as much time and energy either at a JOB or getting an EDUCATION, they wouldn't need to be beating the shit out of this reparations dead horse.

The money ain't comin' black people. Stop your fucking whinning and get a damn job.

GunnyL said:
I disagree. Show me a currently-living, African American who was a slave and I will agree that individual deserves compensation. Show me a white man who owns or has owned a slave and I will agree that individual owes an apology to the person(s) he has enslaved.

Otherwise, NOBODY should be paying or apologizing for anything.

I once got in a debate with a black dude about reparations. He kept saying we paid it to the Japanese in internment camps, shouldn't we also pay it to blacks? I kept answering, The Japanese we paid it to were actually in the camps. In other words, they were the people that were inflicted with travesty and not their decendants. If it were the Great-Great Grandchildren demanding payment for what we did to their ancestors and none were alive that were put in those camps we would not be paying reparation.

He refused to see the difference.

I asked him who had enslaved him. He had no answer. I said that whomever has enslaved you owes you reparation. He got mad and called me a racist.

Can someone, anyone, explain to me some rational reason we, as people who have never owned slaves, should give money to people who never were slaves to right "a moral wrong" or "cleanse the soul of America" when we have already given the blood of hundreds of thousands of people to free actual slaves?

Spilling blood cleans the soul alot more thoroughly then paying out money.

Meanwhile these are the same person who wanted to keep the Iraqis slaves to Saddam and his evil sons.

Can someone, anyone, explain to me some rational reason we, as people who have never owned slaves, should give money to people who never were slaves to right "a moral wrong" or "cleanse the soul of America" when we have already given the blood of hundreds of thousands of people to free actual slaves?

Meanwhile these are the same person who wanted to keep the Iraqis slaves to Saddam and his evil sons.

Well If you listen fully to the drivel, it's not just slavery but also Jim Crow laws that we need to make up for by giving them money.

They're so stupid, they don't realize that the money that would go for new programs or just outright money will come from THEIR OWN POCKETS in the form of TAXES. :blowup:

Personnally I think the whole thing is a bunch of horses##t, but that's just me, I"m unreasonable.

It's because the blacks today have developed a culture of laziness and whining for handouts. Even if we give them a bunch of reparations, they'll keep beating the "not enough" drum, knowing that whining enough will give them another handout.

Hobbit said:
It's because the blacks today have developed a culture of laziness and whining for handouts. Even if we give them a bunch of reparations, they'll keep beating the "not enough" drum, knowing that whining enough will give them another handout.

Rush calls them "quota blacks".

Forum List

Back