It's Miers For SCOTUS

Maybe he's tossing her into the ring as a sacrificial lamb and the next nominee (when she gets tossed) is the one he really wants on the court.

Nuc said:
Maybe he's tossing her into the ring as a sacrificial lamb and the next nominee (when she gets tossed) is the one he really wants on the court.

Dean made it clear he expected the Democrats to filibuster anybody at all that was put forward unless it was another Souter. This may very well be the plan.

no1tovote4 said:
Dean made it clear he expected the Democrats to filibuster anybody at all that was put forward unless it was another Souter. This may very well be the plan.

The folks on CNN are now saying that she may appeal more to Democrats than Republicans??????????????

Nuc said:
The folks on CNN are now saying that she may appeal more to Democrats than Republicans??????????????

Odd. She has worked for the Bush Administration as council from nearly the beginning and headed the search for the last SCOTUS nominee for them. I can't see what they would say was a reason she would appeal to Democrats.

She may be a nice person and a good legal counsel, but I can't believe that she is the best candidate for Supreme Court Justice. But I'll keep an open mind until I learn more about her.

no1tovote4 said:
Odd. She has worked for the Bush Administration as council from nearly the beginning and headed the search for the last SCOTUS nominee for them. I can't see what they would say was a reason she would appeal to Democrats.

They're saying she doesn't have a strong paper trail as a conservative and that's making the right nervous. I find it hard to believe that Bush wouldn't appoint someone who shares his views.

Nuc said:
They're saying she doesn't have a strong paper trail as a conservative and that's making the right nervous. I find it hard to believe that Bush wouldn't appoint someone who shares his views.

And he must know her views after working with her for so long. I would worry more about Roberts turning into a Souter than this choice.

speederdoc said:
Wow, we started the threads at the same time. I'll delete mine if you'd like.

Nah, I'll just merge them, just caught that.

I figured the Right would be checking her out and putting good and bad out there. I am amazed at how the Left doesn't look at this Right phenonema in awe!

http://redstate.org/story/2005/10/3/82655/5147

A promise unkept? Who the hell knows.
By: krempasky · Section: SCOTUS

We've got a lot to learn about SCOTUS nominee Harriet Miers. To hear the White House tell us, "With her distinguished career and extensive community involvement, Ms. Miers would bring a wealth of personal experience and diversity to the Supreme Court."

Diversity. Sure she does. In fact, she gives money to Republicans *and* Democrats.

Mr. President, you've got some explaining to do. And please remember - we've been defending you these five years because of this moment.

CHART OF HER POLITICAL CONTRIBUTIONS FOLLOWS AT SITE, INCLUDING ONE FOR AL GORE. :rolleyes:

no1tovote4 said:
And he must know her views after working with her for so long. I would worry more about Roberts turning into a Souter than this choice.

Don't I know from a reliable source that Roberts is deffinately conservative.

As for the new choice, I don't know much about her. But I do trust the President.

Okay, I have went to another site that is almost all lefties to find out what they are saying. It appears that they like her and think she is pro-choice because she is a Southern Methodist and because the Minority Leader is saying how great she is as a choice.

I don't feel so good about this one as I did about Roberts, but Bush has tricked them before and probably will again.

Weak. Dirty Harry's up there singing her praises. MoveOn and the crazies aren't ODing on their meds. There is a major problem here.

I dont know about this one either.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/03/D8D0KLSG6.html

Miers Gave to GOP Candidates, Democrats
Oct 03 11:14 AM US/Eastern

WASHINGTON

Supreme Court nominee Harriet Miers gave $1,000 to Democrat Al Gore's unsuccessful presidential bid in 1988 _ and 12 years later contributed to the effort to end Gore's chance of winning the White House.

In 1988, Miers, then a lawyer in private practice, donated $1,000 to Gore, the Tennessee Democrat then seeking the party's presidential nomination, according to Federal Election Commission reports. Gore eventually bowed out and Michael Dukakis secured the nomination.

In 2000, Miers contributed to the campaign of Texas Gov. George W. Bush, who was running against Gore that year. When the votes were still being counted in Florida and the outcome was in doubt, she gave $5,000 to the Bush-Cheney Inc. Recount Fund, according to the non- partisan Political MoneyLine.

Through the years, Miers has contributed more than $10,000 to political candidates, focusing mainly on Texas Republicans such as Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, Rep. Pete Sessions and former Sen. Phil Gramm.

Miers also gave $1,000 to another prominent Democrat _ Lloyd Bentsen, the longtime Texas senator who in 1988 ran for re-election and also was Dukakis' vice presidential choice on the Democratic ticket that year.

Bentsen won another term in the Senate, but the Republican ticket of George H. W. Bush and Dan Quayle defeated Dukakis and Bentsen.

Miers contributed $1,000 to the Democratic National Committee Services Corp. in 1988.

Miers gave some $5,000 to Bush's 2000 campaign and his 2004 re- election bid. She contributed $1,650 to the presidential inaugural committee that paid for some of the festivities surrounding Bush's swearing in to a second term.

This seems more like a favor from Bush than a good nomination. Who knows, maybe the Democrats will filibuster her and vote her down. I for one hope that the Republicans vote her down. From the looks of her record, she doesnt seem to be a very good nominee. Not sure where Bush is going here.

insein said:
I dont know about this one either.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/10/03/D8D0KLSG6.html

This seems more like a favor from Bush than a good nomination. Who knows, maybe the Democrats will filibuster her and vote her down. I for one hope that the Republicans vote her down. From the looks of her record, she doesnt seem to be a very good nominee. Not sure where Bush is going here.

Supreme Court nominees are one of a Presidents most important legacy builders. He should be looking for the best possible person. It's questionable that she is, and it's looks like cronyism.

:wtf:

Why didn't he nominate Janice Rogers Brown? That would have been so cool on many different levels.
Bush seems to have lost touch with his base.

Forum List

Back