NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
'It’s like a black and white thing’: How some elite charter schools exclude minorities

...A 2007 company document laid out the perks of making it “the cornerstone” of the community: “Although the school will be open, on a limited basis, to those who live outside district boundaries, the most important aspect of Lake Oconee Academy with regard to [the company] is that it will enable younger families, including employees of [the company], to live in the area affordably, in both apartments and homes.”

Related: A university grapples with its links to slavery and racism

According to its 2007 charter application, 80 percent of Lake Oconee Academy’s seats would go to children living in Zone 1, which was mainly comprised of Reynolds’ properties; 12 percent would go to kids living in the mostly white neighborhoods nearby; and the final 8 percent of seats would be for families in the rest of Greene County. Those attendance zones all but guaranteed that the school would serve a whiter and more affluent student body than Greene County’s traditional public schools.

180525-felton-white-charters-07-njs-1733_f921bed31f96ce0388f6c7c3d93c2ab6.fit-760w.jpg

Lake Oconee Academy is expanding. A new high school facility is under construction.Terrell Clark / The Hechinger Report
In the summer of 2007, a group of Greene County residents traveled to Atlanta to protest what they saw as a plot to re-segregate their schools. Despite the pushback, state education officials approved the charter. In the school’s first year, just 11 students enrolled — all were white.​

So now white people cant have an all-white school? Muslims can have a Muslim school, blacks can have black schools... but not whites?

So now white people cant have an all-white school? Muslims can have a Muslim school, blacks can have black schools... but not whites?

More stupid questions. There are all white schools everywhere. And I don't think blacks created special school districts for blacks only. But white supremacists will look for any reason to cry.

More stupid questions. There are all white schools everywhere. And I don't think blacks created special school districts for blacks only. But white supremacists will look for any reason to cry.
That dumbass doesn't even have the intelligence to understand why there are HCBUs in the first fucking place....

What's to stop blacks from moving into those neighborhoods?
From the article

But dozens of charters have also used their greater flexibility to limit which kids make it through the schoolhouse doors — creating exclusive, disproportionately white schools.

It’s like a black and white thing, who has money and who doesn’t have money.

They do this in a variety of ways: Some pick from preferred attendance zones. Some don’t offer school bus transportation [Lake Oconee Academy doesn't]. Others require expensive uniforms.​

That dumbass doesn't even have the intelligence to understand why there are HCBUs in the first fucking place....
Apparently you all can see things that I can't. I thought I saw a comment from Taz earlier but not the one you quoted. Any idea what happened?

What's to stop blacks from moving into those neighborhoods?

Money.

Poor folk live in poor school districts and rich folk live in rich school districts. The poor get a lousy education and the rich usually get a good one.

I'll give you a hint where the vast majorities of minorities live.

Therefore, the public school system is the single most reason that the perpetual cycle of poverty and segregation in the US and is championed by Dims.

It's the same with Planned Parenthood that was created by Margaret Sanger to prevent black pregnancies, also championed by the Dims.

There are now more black abortions than births.

Whites build something good and then all you losers who can't build anything good want to send your children there, and complain when you can't. Par for the course.

I do NOT understand what the problem is.

It seems that some Caucasian parents prefer that their children go to a predominately Caucasian charter school.

What is wrong with that?

We are all adults.

We all (and I mean "all") know that schools that are predominately of a certain ethnicity have low academic standards and severe disciplinary problems.

No good parents -- regardless of ethnicity -- want their children to be subjected to such a nightmare.

So long as that charter school is predominately Caucasian along with a few studious and well-behaved students of that other ethnicity, parents of both ethnicities can be assured that their children are getting a good public school education.

It's a win-win for everyone!

Apparently you all can see things that I can't. I thought I saw a comment from Taz earlier but not the one you quoted. Any idea what happened?

The punk probably deleted it.

I do NOT understand what the problem is.

It seems that some Caucasian parents prefer that their children go to a predominately Caucasian charter school.

What is wrong with that?

We are all adults.

We all (and I mean "all") know that schools that are predominately of a certain ethnicity have low academic standards and severe disciplinary problems.

No good parents -- regardless of ethnicity -- want their children to be subjected to such a nightmare.

So long as that charter school is predominately Caucasian along with a few studious and well-behaved students of that other ethnicity, parents of both ethnicities can be assured that their children are getting a good public school education.

It's a win-win for everyone!

So the Caucasians don't have to be well behaved or studious, just Caucasian, Spare me your racist cap.

Whites build something good and then all you losers who can't build anything good want to send your children there, and complain when you can't. Par for the course.

Whites can't build anything good without us. STFU loser.

Whites can't build anything good without us. STFU loser.
Then where all all the great black schools that you folks built that whites are trying to get into?

Forum List

Back