‘It’s Hard to See How Boehner Gets Out of This’

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Dick Armey Remembers the Gingrich Shutdowns -- Daily Intelligencer

....And do you see many of the same dynamics in this shutdown?
There wasn’t that big ideological component back in ’95. Clinton was fundamentally a fiscal conservative, so more than anybody was ever willing to acknowledge, the goal of a balanced budget was a goal shared by Clinton in the first place. This fight now isn’t about the budget, it’s an ideological war. Nobody can surrender in this war, and their positions are mutually exclusive. Obamacare is the 50-year dream of the national Democrat party finally achieved. Everybody knew the Democrats were not going to take a bill to defund it. Boehner knew that, but he let himself get pushed into a shutdown anyway.

Is he really so afraid of the tea party?
Tea party, shmee party. It’s the Republican Study Committee, and they’ve been around since long before there was ever a tea party. But I still wonder: How does a guy like Ted Cruz, who’s relatively new in town, who nobody knows, who hasn’t even unpacked his bags, drive this whole process? It’s hard to see how Boehner gets himself out of this....

I constantly going after the elderly, children, women, vets, and the poorest among us, the Rs really screwed themselves. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Yeah? And?

The Republicans held majorities in both the House and the Senate.

They gained two seats in the Senate and only lost 3 seats in the House.

So luddly, how did they really screw themselves?

Oh and, we've all enjoyed watching little milquetoast-looking Harry Reid have the balls that Boehner so obviously lacks.

Oh and, we've all enjoyed watching little milquetoast-looking Harry Reid have the balls that Boehner so obviously lacks.

You mistake Reid's monumental and enduring old age prickiness for balls and although I am no fan of Boehner he hasn't caved yet.

So luddly, I'd really like you or anyone else to try to explain to me how the 1996 elections for the House and the Senate reflected the shutdown "horror" that every one and their mother is touting now.

Oh and don't try to tell me Bill Clinton's election reflected on the shutdown. The asshole RINO's nominated Bob Dole to run against Clinton.

It wasn't even a contest.

Forum List

Back