Its Hard to Believe what being a Liberal Once Meant.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ihopehefails, Oct 13, 2009.

1. ihopehefails

ihopehefails BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Its hard to believe that at one time being a liberal meant you were someone who valued freedom and freedom of the individual and at one time most Americans considered themselves liberal because it meant being someone who believed that the best route to this was a society where government intervened very little. It believed people's rights were on the individual level only where every person could pursue their own interest whether that be economic, religious, or political without being made to be a cog in the societal machine. Its the kind of liberalism that 80% of Americans would go for in a minute if it was espoused by our politicians but unfortunately both parties are progessive to a certain degree and that was not a liberal movement at all. Most progressives believed that individualism of any kind of was bad for society and had to be stomped out so it was not liberal at all but it has stolen the term "liberal" in order to cover up its true intentions.

I like liberalism or at least the classical kind and because of that I get called "conservative". That is fine with me because I believe that that kind of liberalism has to be restored in this country and progresivism has to be wiped off the political map.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,673
    Progressive liberalism is the correct path of classic liberalism. Libertarian liberalism is a cul de sac in which corporatists destroy the freedom of individuals. ihef either is ignorant or is malignant. The difference are clear cut and easily distinguished.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  3. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Modern liberals annoy the shit out of me and make me ashamed to admit I am actually a liberal, but I am a classic liberal, less government and more freedom and all. The problem is that as a country we have become followers and nothing more, putting too much faith and power to the politicians, so now I am independent by choice, I support no politician. ;)

4. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Indeed. It's sad that the progressives are afraid of their image so have stolen the liberal label.

Classic liberalism :clap2:

Progressive liberalism :cuckoo::eusa_liar::evil:

5. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,673
    CG demonstrates that she is ignorant about the subject or is engaged in deception. Excuse me, I need to go make my next million or two.

6. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Seriously? This is where you fail, she is quite accurate in her statement actually.

7. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    Holy doubletake! You're not taking Jake seriously? ;)

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    *Please sit down, the lecture is about to start*

Ladies and gentlemen, here we have a classic example of Alinski's 'Rules for Radicals' style of what passes for 'debate'.

In a nutshell, it is to attack the messenger. This classic method is used when there is no real substantive argument or constructive comment to be made in opposition to the message.

However, because these 'rules' have been around for quite some time and have been widely read by Americans who are not left wing radical whackjobs, these methods rarely work. Unfortunately, for the idiot left, they have nothing else to counter legitimate argument with and, therefore, fall back on the 'attack or ridicule' the messenger method.

The best response to this 'attack' is to laugh at them.

*Lecture ends. Please leave quietly*

9. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    The liberalism you guys admire was the liberalism that was sinking the concept of monarchism in favor a a democractic form of GOVERNMENT.

Those liberals didn't think that government was the problem, they thought democratic republicanism would be the solution to the objectivist libertarianism conclusion that inevitably resulted in MONACHISM. (basically objectist libertarianism is the concept that private property might makes social right)

That's why the Floundering Fathers forged a government of the people in the first place!

The conservatives in their day were called MONARCHISTS and they believed that everybody but the KING was a subject. (read basically that everybody was the PROPERTY of the KING)

But consider, much of what you cosnervatives believe today, the floundering Fathers did NOT believe.

FREE TRADE for example, something that every conservative I know thinks the Floudering Fathers believed in?

They didn't believe in that, AT ALL. (neither did Adam Smith, BTW)

In fact, they ran their entire government on the revenues of the tariffs they charged for imported goods.... for nearly 150 years!

I can't help but notice that the history most Americans believe, and history that actually happened tend to be wildly different things.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,508
    What do our opponents mean when they apply to us the label "Liberal?" If by "Liberal" they mean, as they want people to believe, someone who is soft in his policies abroad, who is against local government, and who is unconcerned with the taxpayer's dollar, then ... we are not that kind of "Liberal." But if by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -- their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal," then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal." [JFK September 14, 1960]