It's Gettin' Harder to Defend the Teachers....

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
While I would like to keep the argument in the political realm, this from today's WSJ makes it harder to defend the teachers' position....

"The showdown in Wisconsin over fringe benefits for public employees boils down to one number: 74.2. That's how many cents the public pays Milwaukee public-school teachers and other employees for retirement and health benefits for every dollar they receive in salary. The corresponding rate for employees of private firms is 24.3 cents.

Gov. Scott Walker's proposal would bring public-employee benefits closer in line with those of workers in the private sector. And to prevent benefits from reaching sky-high levels in the future, he wants to restrict collective-bargaining rights.

The average Milwaukee public-school teacher salary is $56,500, but with benefits the total package is $100,005, according to the manager of financial planning for Milwaukee public schools. When I showed these figures to a friend, she asked me a simple question: "How can fringe benefits be nearly as much as salary?" The answers can be found by unpacking the numbers in the district's budget for this fiscal year:..."
Robert M. Costrell: Oh, To Be a Teacher in Wisconsin - WSJ.com

field-cricket.jpg

This is the big issue for public employee unions everywhere.

Unlike the private sector, with lavish benefits, the burden of saving for retirement out of their salaries is not faced by such employees. The unions are then free to slap on mandatory dues which are withheld from paychecks to funnel into campaign donations to favorable pols. Wash Rinse Repeat.

The real reason for the opposition to the Collective Bargaining Rights is that Walker proposed eliminating the mandatory withholding and allowing employees to vote each year whether or not they wanted to belong to the union.

Big Unions are their own separate special interest group which require captive employees to feed their organizations.

Surprisingly good read from Newsweek which relates well to the OP:

Do We Still Need Unions? No.

Let’s end a privileged class.

1. Public unions are big money.

2. Public unions redistribute wealth.

3. Public unions silence the voters’ voice.

4. Public unions are unnecessary.

Mark McKinnon: Do We Still Need Unions? No. - Newsweek

Text for each point at the link.

It's Gettin' Harder to Defend the Teachers....

Only for those of us who didn't study hard enough in school, Lad.

1. Lad.... a boy or young man
lad - definition of lad by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

2. Based on the obvious nature of the avatar, you would be self-identified as one who "didn't study hard enough in school."
Could it be an age-related optical deficiency?
Try eating more carrots.

3. In several threads, I have championed the view that it is a mistake to remove collective bargaining by fiat.
My motivation is based on the necessity of bringing the left and right closer, in the face of far greater threats to our great nation, and I feel an opportunity for diplomacy was lost in this case...

But the economic argument in the OP pretty much makes the case for a necessity to increase government power...

4. Now that you have stated an opinion that one, I assume you, who studied harder than I had in school, could make the case for the teachers, but one based on the economic realities outlined in the OP...

I challenge you to do so.

In other words, put your dinero where you put your diner, big talker.

'else, it's back to school for you.

Middy, based on previous posts of your, I assume that the insect in the pic represents your view of teachers....

if this is the case, I'm surprised at you.

These folks accepted remuneration offered to them, they didn't put a gun to anyone's head to get same.

If your slur is appropriate for anyone, it is the pols who gave away the store for votes and re-election.

But I would not use it for anyone....just sayin'

pitting American against Americans for decades, the republican party

Even the most partisan of lefties can't post the above with a straight face.

Class warfare has been the stock in trade of the Democrats since at least the Kennedy-Nixon campaign, the last time two Cold Warriors ran.

Surprisingly good read from Newsweek which relates well to the OP:

Do We Still Need Unions? No.

Let’s end a privileged class.

1. Public unions are big money.

2. Public unions redistribute wealth.

3. Public unions silence the voters’ voice.

4. Public unions are unnecessary.

Mark McKinnon: Do We Still Need Unions? No. - Newsweek

Text for each point at the link.

I can't help thinking that if American children were perpetually the top scorers on every exam, nationally and internationally, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

We wouldn't care what they earned....

It's the combination of political perspective, costs and benefits, and dismal product, that's what does it.

Case in point, college 'educators'...earn much, work less, indocrinate more.....and have the same politics as the teachers' unions.

Middy, based on previous posts of your, I assume that the insect in the pic represents your view of teachers....

if this is the case, I'm surprised at you.

These folks accepted remuneration offered to them, they didn't put a gun to anyone's head to get same.

If your slur is appropriate for anyone, it is the pols who gave away the store for votes and re-election.

But I would not use it for anyone....just sayin'
Wrong. It represents crickets. Which is the response this thread got, until I posted the cricket!

Forum List

Back