It's Gardening Time!

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
OK, so I have two topics for my new favorite sub-forum.

First, I'm at my parents house. They're retired. My mother has built this admittedly beautiful garden on the side of a pond in the strata in which they own a unit. It's about two square yards, I'm sure, but it occupies months of her time. Every day, she's fussing with it, having my poor father dig up her plants to move them a foot here and a foot there. It's pretty, I have to admit, but TBH, I'd rather be drinking whisky instead. Anyways, there are two new unit holders in the strata, both of them building gardens. My mother is worried that they will build nicer gardens than hers. This is causing angst.

Second, I was out for lunch with a good friend earlier this week. He's in his mid-50s, has come into some recently, and is transitioning towards retirement. Having just turned 50 myself, we were discussing that we could begin to "see the end." "Soon," I jokingly said, "we'll be gardening." My friend said "Well, actually ..." He then went on to tell me he has started gardening.

So is this what I have to look forward to in retirement?

If so, I'm not drinking enough.

Hey, free veggies. All sorts of creative cooking.

Here I thought you were gonna tell me how to spur my bell peppers to grow up.

Shiet, I go to my relatives house and end up having to rototill a fucking corn garden. :blowup:

First, I'm at my parents house. They're retired. My mother has built this admittedly beautiful garden on the side of a pond in the strata in which they own a unit. It's about two square yards, I'm sure, but it occupies months of her time. Every day, she's fussing with it, having my poor father dig up her plants to move them a foot here and a foot there. It's pretty, I have to admit, but TBH, I'd rather be drinking whisky instead. Anyways, there are two new unit holders in the strata, both of them building gardens. My mother is worried that they will build nicer gardens than hers. This is causing angst.

Second, I was out for lunch with a good friend earlier this week. He's in his mid-50s, has come into some recently, and is transitioning towards retirement. Having just turned 50 myself, we were discussing that we could begin to "see the end." "Soon," I jokingly said, "we'll be gardening." My friend said "Well, actually ..." He then went on to tell me he has started gardening.

Grow The Reefer?

With me it was the opposite. I loved gardening when I was younger--now I'm too damned stiff in the knees and such to get down and grub around. Loved it, too.

Just plant several low maintenance plants, then retire to your swinging chair.

Forum List

Back