It's cold and snowy in January!

Glacier ice loss at record levels - Climate Change, Environment - The Independent

Glaciers are shrinking at record rates and many could disappear within decades, the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) said yesterday. Scientists measuring 30 glaciers around the world found ice loss reached record levels in 2006, the most recent year for which data are available.

The most severe loss was recorded at Norway's Breidalblikkbrea glacier, which shrank 3.1m (10.2ft). On average, glaciers shrank by 1.5m. "The figures are part of what appears to be an accelerating trend with no apparent end in sight," said Wilfried Haeberli, director of the World Glacier Monitoring Service, which conducted the study.

USGS - Hubbard Glacier, Alaska

Program Overview/Why Study Hubbard Glacier?
Hubbard Glacier is the largest tidewater glacier on the North American continent. It has been thickening and advancing toward the Gulf of Alaska since it was first mapped by the International Boundary Commission in 1895 (Davidson, 1903). This is in stark contrast with most glaciers, which have thinned and retreated during the last century. This atypical behavior is an important example of the calving glacier cycle in which glacier advance and retreat is controlled more by the mechanics of terminus calving than by climate fluctuations. If Hubbard Glacier continues to advance, it will close the seaward entrance of Russell Fiord and create the largest glacier-dammed lake on the North American continent in historic times.

Rush_Limbaugh_2004_cropped-7.jpg

Glacier Retreat in Alaska

Glacier Retreat in Alaska

Across the globe, glaciers are retreating. This melting has accelerated dramatically in the past few decades. Alaska is no exception, with 98% of the state's glaciers shrinking, losing over 20 cubic miles of ice each year. Globally, the melting of glaciers contributes to sea level rise. Locally, glacial retreat can change river and ecosystem dynamics

The Dead and the Dying - through the glaciers of Tutka Valley
READ ARTICLE

Last winter's meager snowfall was followed by volcanic ash, then a warm sunny spring, melting the mountains back to bare ice and rock. Even amongst high peaks, the usual snow slopes were boulders and scree, bare rock fields with barely a hint of vegetation. Some of the dime-sized patches of moss might not have seen sun in years. Some of the rock might never have seen sun at all. It was a good time to visit the dead and the dying - the glaciers not long for this world.
Across the globe, glaciers are retreating. This melting has accelerated dramatically in the past few decades. Alaska is no exception, with 98% of the state's glaciers shrinking, losing over 20 cubic miles of ice each year. Globally, the melting of glaciers contributes to sea level rise. Locally, glacial retreat can change river and ecosystem dynamics

Note how those who treat the "real" scientists as God's, refuse to acknowledge data that does not support their shit. Yet.........theres a consensus!!!!!!:mm::mm::mm::blowup:

Oh.....and the Hubbard glacier is expanding 7 feet per day due to "its controlled more by the mechanics of terminus calving than by climate change"

OK

Last edited:
Ah well, Walleyes and Kookybill have got to have a forum for their anti-science idiocy.

And I was enjoying you and chiken discussing upstate New York. You see, I have not been there yet. Had one of my geology professors recommend visiting, for the geology, beauty, and people. And, yes, she had spent a couple of winters there.

Portland temperature appear to me to rise or decrease at about the avg of the earth. Meaning if we warm 2c by 2100 then Portland wont see snow anymore it becomes much rarer. 2c is more then the difference between where we are now and the planets temperatures in the 1680s. To get a idea.

What does 2c do to Portland?
.4c of warming since the 1970s have caused the avg to go from 8-12 inches per winter to 2 inches per winter today. 1890s avged near 25-30 inches per year at -.6c??? Snow becomes rare indeed if we warm 2c by 2100. I doubt any of the .5 inch events we have seen so far this winter could happen then. The winter of 2008 instead of 30 inches may see 2 inches or 4 inches....

rain may go up during winter, but decrease during the summer as the jet stream becomings weaker. Portland Oregon may see winters that have 50 inches+ of rain from Oct-April, but there be two seasons....One wet with most days in the 50s and 60s...With the avg during Dec-Jan raising 3-4c over todays.

Summers from May-Sept could be the opposite as the jet stream becoming even weaker then it does today. Portland today avges around 11-12 90f days, but may by 2100 avg double that at 24-30 per year. Two times in the decade from 2000-2010 broke the record for number of 90f days. July 2009 was the hottest in recorded history for July. This becomes the norm every summer by 2100. The period between may and Sept may become bone dry as the jet stream weakens and shifts into Canada...But some years may get monsoon rains that might hammer the area. So forecasting what is going to occur is up in the air. Portland becomes central California. The avg for hundred degree days goes from one per year to around 5 per year...HOT future for Portland and western Oregon.

Ah well, Walleyes and Kookybill have got to have a forum for their anti-science idiocy.

And I was enjoying you and chiken discussing upstate New York. You see, I have not been there yet. Had one of my geology professors recommend visiting, for the geology, beauty, and people. And, yes, she had spent a couple of winters there.

Oh you're just pissed off that the glaciers are advancing there olfraud. Don't worry. In 20 to 30 years the cycle will turn and it will get warm again and you can start warning us of teh impending doom of global warming allll over again!:eusa_angel: And as far as your anti science mantra goes...well my friend.. you are absolutely correct! We are as anti junk science as you can get!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back