It's called Christmas!

Already?

Jeez, it isn't even Halloween yet.

This shit starts flying earlier and earlier every year...

Anyway... I say "merry Christmas." I suppose that's disrespectful to Christianity, because I don't at all mean "merry aniversery of Jesus's birth" (not that I begrudge my Christian friends pretending that Jesus was born in the wintertime; I'm glad they're in on the festivities), but that's just the name I'm used to for the unspeakably old tradition of having a heartening party in the darkest part of winter, and frankly, I don't know what else to call it.

"Happy holidays" is too general and just sounds empty to me; it's hard for me to say with real conviction because it makes me feel tawdry. "Happy solstice" would be a little more on target but has connotations of specifically pagan traditions that I'm not actually referencing and in most cases wouldn't immediately get the response I'm trying to elicit (a warm smile and reciprocal well-wishing). "Merry Christmas" usually works; even if the person I'm saying it to could field objections they typically take it well anyway.

Already?

Anyway... I say "merry Christmas." I suppose that's disrespectful to Christianity, because I don't at all mean "merry aniversery of Jesus's birth" (not that I begrudge my Christian friends pretending that Jesus was born in the wintertime; I'm glad they're in on the festivities), but that's just the name I'm used to for the unspeakably old tradition of having a heartening party in the darkest part of winter, and frankly, I don't know what else to call it.

"Happy holidays" is too general and just sounds empty to me; it's hard for me to say with real conviction because it makes me feel tawdry. "Happy solstice" would be a little more on target but has connotations of specifically pagan traditions that I'm not actually referencing and in most cases wouldn't immediately get the response I'm trying to elicit (a warm smile and reciprocal well-wishing). "Merry Christmas" usually works; even if the person I'm saying it to could field objections they typically take it well anyway.

Well said, Abelian :clap2:

I still do not know what set Shattered off like this thread did ... but that is her right. But to say .....

You're an idiot.

Oh, and it's "etiquette", you dumb fuck.

.... someone is an "idiot" and call them a "dumb fuck" within 5 minutes of the original post ... seemed a little over the top. But then she had the right to say it, I guess :confused: without a reason.

sheesh.. christian boy bands.. what a secular knock off.

Oh, when did the law gt passed that Americans could not say xmas? I find it hilarious every year that the same kind of bastards that preach on and on about deregulation and the rights of businesses gets menstrual cramps when those exact same companies decide to be inclusive rather than pretend that there is only one reason for seasonal celebration.

oh, and again... christian music sucks.

Except when it's sung by Puddle of Mud...er...prior to becoming "Christian" rock....and when it's sung by Creed.

THat guy can belt it out. I've never listened to any of his Christian tunes, but he identifies himself as a Christian rocker, and his music is the bomb.

sheesh.. christian boy bands.. what a secular knock off.

Oh, when did the law gt passed that Americans could not say xmas? I find it hilarious every year that the same kind of bastards that preach on and on about deregulation and the rights of businesses gets menstrual cramps when those exact same companies decide to be inclusive rather than pretend that there is only one reason for seasonal celebration.

oh, and again... christian music sucks.

Tell me you hate Christian Bluegrass. Amazing Grace, WHat a Friend We Have in Jesus...that's Christian music all the way.

I make it a point to say happy holidays for probably the exact reason that you imagine.

I say "Merry Christmas" and when we lived in Los Angeles and had several Jewish friends I would say "Happy Hanukah". I do not know what the big deal is .... its all pretty stupid to me. :eusa_boohoo:

* We live in a small hick Central CA town now .... not too many Jewish people live here ... but if there were I would still say "Happy Hanukah" in respect of them, and their belief.

Except when it's sung by Puddle of Mud...er...prior to becoming "Christian" rock....and when it's sung by Creed.

THat guy can belt it out. I've never listened to any of his Christian tunes, but he identifies himself as a Christian rocker, and his music is the bomb.

U2 started out as a "Christian" rock band, not sure if they still hold that title, though I think they are all Christians?

Already?

Anyway... I say "merry Christmas." I suppose that's disrespectful to Christianity, because I don't at all mean "merry anniversary of Jesus's birth" (not that I begrudge my Christian friends pretending that Jesus was born in the wintertime; I'm glad they're in on the festivities), but that's just the name I'm used to for the unspeakably old tradition of having a heartening party in the darkest part of winter, and frankly, I don't know what else to call it.

My school has already started rehearsals for our "Holiday Program"-it's Dec. 20th. Each grade sings a different religion's holiday songs, Christian, Jewish, Kwanzaa-they haven't integrated the Muslim songs yet. The Jehovah Witness kids don't participate because it's against their beliefs.

It's a packed house every year (we do have over 700 elementary kids) so we had to make it a 2 day event.

U2 started out as a "Christian" rock band, not sure if they still hold that title, though I think they are all Christians?

What? Madonna wouldn't be consider Christian music? :rofl:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVN6_yLfD8Q]YouTube - Britney Spears, Madonna, Christina Aguilera Like A Virgin/Hollywood VMA 2003 (HQ)[/ame]

I'm sure the church has no problem with this right? :confused: :eusa_whistle:

You look like even more of an idiot when you try to correct obvious abbreviations, after you get called on atrocious spelling. :)

Did you *really* expect a warm reception with your current avatar? I hope not.

upside down flag means the country is in trouble.

I can't stand Christmas. I always wish I could hibernate until it's over.

was puddle of mud supposed to be some big hitmakers or something? Creed? Are you kidding me? RIGHT NOW scott stap is wondering how to extend his fifteenth minute and it isn't getting him anywhere. I agree, his music should be bombed by an abortion clinic hating dogma junkie.

It's always bugged the shit out of me how dogma junkie music always, ALWAYS tries to wrap up the secular in some goofy tissue thin jesus paper.

Forum List

Back