It's Becoming More and More Apparent: We Can't Afford Obama

Obama will have a substantial surplus for the next few years, but it will be heading downward, where it was heading upward under Bush. 2008 being the peak year, 2009 should be close in revenue to 2008, but will gradually come down.
look for it
congress will likely increase the max threshold for paying SSI and FICA

That step will almost certainly happen at some point, but that in itself will not be nearly enough. Raising the age when benefits can first be taken is the most logical and cost effective way to reduce overall costs without cutting benefits drastically. By reducing the amount of years people can collect, we can keep the benefits at current levels; people just will have to wait longer before they can collect on them. This will be even more important when looking at Medicare, which has a much bigger shortfall than SS.
actually not
if you raise the age a lot of people will be hurt by it
if you raise the max level, fewer people would be hurt
because also they will make it next to impossible for those making over the limit to ever get anything out of it because they usually have the 401k's and other investments that would keep them over the income limit

I still say part of the SSI stopgap before ridding ourselves, rather future generations of it, should include means testing, after all contributions are gone. It's becoming late in the game for this, as many now have paid in major bucks, yet there is still time.

If I contributed $400k, but have assets over a certain limit, once I've received back those contributions, no more.

Having had parents who had assets of close to a million, but because 24 hour home care was not covered under private or medicare, went through over $700k in 3 years, I know the devastation. Under those circumstances, documented loss of assets, should kick in again. It was a 'deal' made. Considering most do carry supplemental insurance and most do not require 24 hour care or family makes arrangements where covered care is provided, this seems reasonable to me.

It also seems that the government should consider what families are willing to do, at a lower cost, to keep loved ones at home. They shouldn't be forced to put a loved one in a home for coverage.

After only two months, we're beginning to see what a mess Obama and the Dems are about to create. I was willing to give Obama a chance, but based on what his own people are telling us, we can't afford to give him a chance. We need change now. The path he is putting us on has to be changed. When he said he was bringing change to Washington, I don't think anyone believed it was to destroy the US economically, but that is what is about to take place if people don't start demanding real change.

Audit Finds Dire Deficits in Obama BudgetBy ANDREW TAYLOR, AP
posted: 28 MINUTES AGOcomments: 121filed under: National News, The Obama PresidencyPrintShareText SizeAAAWASHINGTON (March 20) —
President Barack Obama's budget would produce $9.3 trillion in deficits over the next decade, more than four times the deficits of Republican George W. Bush's presidency, congressional auditors said Friday.
The new Congressional Budget Office figures offered a far more dire outlook for Obama's budget than the new administration predicted just last month — a deficit $2.3 trillion worse. It's a prospect even the president's own budget director called unsustainable.

Audit Finds Dire Deficits in Obama Budget

:clap2: I haven't read the thread yet, but I'm of the opinion that destroying the US economy is his goal, how could anyone be so stupid as to try to implement what he's suggesting at this point?

The question that constantly comes to mind is how, given that a recession was already underway when he was elected, could anyone propose such spending at such a time?

Realize this question could push ideological buttons, but, really. Is it even a rational thing to do? Does this adminstration actually believe their GDP growth time line? Do they really think this blatant attempt to restructure America will be met with no resistance, even possible uprising?

Makes you wonder. And then look at The Prophet's behavior on 60 Minutes. The whole thing is bazaar when you stand back a bit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/opinion/22rich.html?_r=2&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Has a ‘Katrina Moment’ Arrived?

By FRANK RICH
A CHARMING visit with Jay Leno won’t fix it. A 90 percent tax on bankers’ bonuses won’t fix it. Firing Timothy Geithner won’t fix it. Unless and until Barack Obama addresses the full depth of Americans’ anger with his full arsenal of policy smarts and political gifts, his presidency and, worse, our economy will be paralyzed. It would be foolish to dismiss as hyperbole the stark warning delivered by Paulette Altmaier of Cupertino, Calif., in a letter to the editor published by The Times last week: “President Obama may not realize it yet, but his Katrina moment has arrived.”

Six weeks ago I wrote in this space that the country’s surge of populist rage could devour the president’s best-laid plans, including the essential Act II of the bank rescue, if he didn’t get in front of it. The occasion then was the Tom Daschle firestorm. The White House seemed utterly blindsided by the public’s revulsion at the moneyed insiders’ culture illuminated by Daschle’s post-Senate career. Yet last week’s events suggest that the administration learned nothing from that brush with disaster....

The problem is, he doesn't have any policy smarts or political gifts. He has the gift of giving speeches, of reading the teleprompter so convincingly, of seeming to give answers when in fact he never really answers anything. He's quite the show man. I believe things are right on course, as far as his agenda is concerned.

Annie we are in agreement there is no way in hell Joe six pack should be helping to fund Bill Gates' retirement by an amount that for Gates is essentially peanuts. If your retirement income sans social security is in the six plus figure range you don't need anything from the tax payers to help you out.

Annie we are in agreement there is no way in hell Joe six pack should be helping to fund Bill Gates' retirement by an amount that for Gates is essentially peanuts. If your retirement income sans social security is in the six plus figure range you don't need anything from the tax payers to help you out.

Ah but SSI is not 'tax payers', at least for retrieval of what was confiscated from any income one earned, it was taken along with taxes. Everyone deserves their own money back, regardless of wealth. Now if they want to donate it back, they can make that choice.

Bush leaves US a pile of shit and it's all Obama's fault 54 days later that we havent' fixed it.

The American Citizen feels that the people that have handled the financial decisions in this nation are little more than thieves. The AIG bonuses confirmed their feelings, and as we investigate the bonuses in the banking industry, I am sure that we will find the same.

When this debacle is behind us, we will be a very differant nation, and you Conservatives will have made yourselves irrelevant in the decisions as to what kind of nation that we will be.

You mean the AIG bonuses that the Dems wrote in to the bill they should have gotten? How about asking Franklin Raines to give back his 90 million dollars he made running Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac into the ground. I am sure you Libs agree that he should not have made that kind of money from a failed company...right? Why is Barney Frank not trying to pass legislation to tax Raines' money at 90%. Does it have anything to do with Frank's boyfriend that works for Fannie Mae. What about Jamie Gorelick. Should they tax her almost 800 thousand she made with her involvement with Fannie Mae.

If we are putting the spotlight on 1 area of corruption, should we not look at all equally.

Let's lose all of this hypocrisy and look at things without the partisan glasses on as the corruption and faux outrage crosses party lines.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/22/opinion/22rich.html?_r=2&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Has a ‘Katrina Moment’ Arrived?

By FRANK RICH
A CHARMING visit with Jay Leno won’t fix it. A 90 percent tax on bankers’ bonuses won’t fix it. Firing Timothy Geithner won’t fix it. Unless and until Barack Obama addresses the full depth of Americans’ anger with his full arsenal of policy smarts and political gifts, his presidency and, worse, our economy will be paralyzed. It would be foolish to dismiss as hyperbole the stark warning delivered by Paulette Altmaier of Cupertino, Calif., in a letter to the editor published by The Times last week: “President Obama may not realize it yet, but his Katrina moment has arrived.”

Six weeks ago I wrote in this space that the country’s surge of populist rage could devour the president’s best-laid plans, including the essential Act II of the bank rescue, if he didn’t get in front of it. The occasion then was the Tom Daschle firestorm. The White House seemed utterly blindsided by the public’s revulsion at the moneyed insiders’ culture illuminated by Daschle’s post-Senate career. Yet last week’s events suggest that the administration learned nothing from that brush with disaster....

The problem is, he doesn't have any policy smarts or political gifts. He has the gift of giving speeches, of reading the teleprompter so convincingly, of seeming to give answers when in fact he never really answers anything. He's quite the show man. I believe things are right on course, as far as his agenda is concerned.

did president bush have these ''smarts'' that you say in 2 months, obama is ''lacking''?

you guys bitching day and night, are just a tad tooooo much zoom.... imho, it becomes meaningless....other than just whining about a bunch of nothings, hoping you can bring our country DOWN i suppose, and bring our president down to score some political posturing....

sad really.... :(

did president bush have these ''smarts'' that you say in 2 months, obama is ''lacking''?

you guys bitching day and night, are just a tad tooooo much zoom.... imho, it becomes meaningless....other than just whining about a bunch of nothings, hoping you can bring our country DOWN i suppose, and bring our president down to score some political posturing....

Really ... really? ... seriously? .... you see a difference between the two?

where have you been for the last 8 damn years!!!!!!!!!!!!

did you live in a cave for those years?

If the past couple of months are any indication, Bush may turn out to be a better President than Obama.

If the past couple of months are any indication, Bush may turn out to be a better President than Obama.

Which is sad really.

you guys bitching day and night, are just a tad tooooo much zoom.... imho, it becomes meaningless....other than just whining about a bunch of nothings, hoping you can bring our country DOWNi suppose, and bring our president down to score some political posturing....

Obama promised no hiring of lobbyists. Fail.
Obama promised transparency. Fail.
Obama promised 'Sunlight Before Signing'. Fail.
Obama promised earmark reform. Fail.
Obama promised bipartisanship. Fail.
Obama promised to go over the budget line by line and eliminate wasteful spending. Fail.
Obama promised 'change', yet brought on how many of Clinton's do-bees? Fail.
And while he didn't specifically promise not to hire cheats, he did. Fail.

And he's only been at it 60 days. And you think this is all 'just whining about a bunch of nothings'?

I believe he is taking this country to hell in a handbasket. Damn right I'm going to voice my objections about it. And you bitch about my bitching? What do you want me to do Care, wait until we're in hell before I open my mouth?

'Bring our country down'? What a twit. I want to see our country succeed. I don't believe Obama's policies are at all the direction our country should be going in. I think it is wrong and many, many people feel the same way. We believe that if his policies succeed, America will fail.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back