It's All Your Money: Taxpayers may be on hook for US Postal Service losses

Article I, Section 8, Clause 7 of the United States Constitution, known as the Postal Clause or the Postal Power, empowers Congress "To establish Post Offices and post Roads".

While the post office does have it's problems, it does seem that rather than getting rid of the Post Office, it would make more sense given the fact that UPS and FED-EX do not have a traditional mail service or cover a lot of rural areas that depend on this service it would make more sense for Congress to exercise it's powers under the Constitution to actually fix the problem. As a thought here, one would think that USPS would and could contract a lot of its package delivery to the above mentioned companies reducing costs with little impact and leave open traditional Post Offices . I for one would never be in favor if simply saying the best solution is to get rid of something because we are unable to or unwilling to fix it.

I Totally agree. We have a Constitutional Mandate supporting it's purpose and function, which is well served. Major overhaul has been needed for a long time. It's way overdue.

Intense, When I hear the advocates for simply getting rid of the Post Office all together, I wonder if those same people would like it if say they were in rural Arizona and depended only on the Post Office for example on delivery of such things as medicines, etc? In fact from my understanding in those rural areas Fed-Ex and others actually count on the Post Office to do that job for them. While it makes perfect sense to advocate for contracting services to reduce costs and makes the Post Office more efficient, and am very much in favor of that, to simply ditch the Post Office is also unworkable. You know I have started using the USPS online stamps program and have found it very useful and it's my feeling that USPS needs to get away from the more traditional model of the mailman in the snow and rain if you will delivering mail and more to a model that is suitable to todays delivery services. Again, I am in complete agreement that a major bottoms up review should be done and then an overhaul should be done. This suggestion can apply to a large number of Departments in Government and I for one would like Defense to be next in line with that one.

Last edited:
Ever wonder why FedEx and UPS don't have a booming letter delivery service?

I'm going to say that's because they would have to compete with an organization backed by taxpayer dollars. What rational company would choose to compete with a government run near monopoly on letter delivery? That would be crazy.

Not sure what ends up in your mailbox, but mine has a lot of business advertising in it. You are going to pay for mail one way or another.

Correct, you do have to pay for it. The question is do you pay for it voluntarily or because you'll be thrown in jail if you don't. Big frickin' difference.

Of course, NONE of what you stated here has anything to do with "why FedEx and UPS don't have a booming letter delivery service"

I'm going to say that's because they would have to compete with an organization backed by taxpayer dollars. What rational company would choose to compete with a government run near monopoly on letter delivery? That would be crazy.

Not sure what ends up in your mailbox, but mine has a lot of business advertising in it. You are going to pay for mail one way or another.

Correct, you do have to pay for it. The question is do you pay for it voluntarily or because you'll be thrown in jail if you don't. Big frickin' difference.

Of course, NONE of what you stated here has anything to do with "why FedEx and UPS don't have a booming letter delivery service"

Nope, probably doesn't, but then I didn't have to eat my last two posts either. Then there's the fact YOU didn't show how they could have a booming business. :eusa_whistle:

Nope, probably doesn't, but then I didn't have to eat my last two posts either. Then there's the fact YOU didn't show how they could have a booming business. :eusa_whistle:

What in the hell are you rambling about now??? My goodness.

Well, you didn't ask me to "show how they could have a booming business", you stated "Ever wonder why they don't", which I answered. Regarding your latest question, I remain confident that where there is a demand, a free market will respond. Maybe not with the forcible use of other people's money as you are demanding, but it will respond. Whether or not a new rural mail delivery business will "boom" or not remains to be seen but while we have a government monopoly in the way, there will be no new businesses trying to compete...which is the point.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back