It's a win for the GOP.

Wow! Didn't take you long. How do you figure the GOP and not Obama and the Dems, put off making decisions?

The House is responsible for generating fiscal bills. It's on their head. The president can make suggestions, but if Boehner & Co. don't find a way to compromise, nothing's going to happen. I don't consider a temporary deal to be doing anything.

Do you realize that there are democrats in the House? Do you also realize that the Democrat controlled Senate must agree? Do you also know that Joe Biden was called in to hammer out a deal with the Senate minority GOP?

So tell me again how the GOP gets the blame?

Did Biden arrive in his sweet Trans Am?

PredFan, I respectfully disagree that losing, and then predicting that you'll be elected to pick up the pieces after the other guys destroy everything, is really a positive long-term strategy. I remember the GOP also saying that in 2008 when it was becoming clear that Obama was going to beat McCain.

Perhaps a better approach would be to communicate a clear and positive message with which the electorate agrees and to just win the election in the first place.

The american people and especially the lefties think obama won. Well, Boehner and Co. did totally cave in to hussein's wishes but let's look closely at it.

The plan they agreed to adds 4 trillion to the deficit over 10 years, that's additional over the 1 trillion that we already add to the defecit yearly.

There are no spending cuts, and likely won't be. If the economy doesn't totally crash this year or next, eventually the young people of this country will have to deal with the crushing debt. I'm no economist but one doesn't have to be to know that something bad is going to happen economically because of it.

The reason the GOP has actually won? Obama totally owns this mess now. All barry and the left cares about is winning. To hell with the consequences, just win.

I pity the young.

i pity you. it must hurt to be so nutty.

PredFan, I respectfully disagree that losing, and then predicting that you'll be elected to pick up the pieces after the other guys destroy everything, is really a positive long-term strategy. I remember the GOP also saying that in 2008 when it was becoming clear that Obama was going to beat McCain.

Perhaps a better approach would be to communicate a clear and positive message with which the electorate agrees and to just win the election in the first place.

the problem, mac, is that to do that, they would have to respect government. you can't hate government and still govern. you can't have a positive message if you hate, with the intensity of a thousand suns, the thing you need to govern with.

it would be liking hiring a museum curator who hates museums and the collections they hold.

what we can hope is that this loony toon rightwing of the GOP will simply get shut down by normal conservatives who respect the power of government and want to use it wisely.

It's not a positive long-term strategy, I agree. It is however, a successful one. the Deomcrats used it against Bush to great success.

I don't advocate it solely for the GOP to win the next elections, I also do it because a majority of America was stupid enough to elect obama 2 times and I believe that stupidity should be painful.

The american people and especially the lefties think obama won. Well, Boehner and Co. did totally cave in to hussein's wishes but let's look closely at it.

The plan they agreed to adds 4 trillion to the deficit over 10 years, that's additional over the 1 trillion that we already add to the defecit yearly.

There are no spending cuts, and likely won't be. If the economy doesn't totally crash this year or next, eventually the young people of this country will have to deal with the crushing debt. I'm no economist but one doesn't have to be to know that something bad is going to happen economically because of it.

The reason the GOP has actually won? Obama totally owns this mess now. All barry and the left cares about is winning. To hell with the consequences, just win.

I pity the young.

No jobs, no future, likely no SS, lots of debt...no hope... The oBUMa legacy to them.

Call it what you want, it is the BUSH legacy.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6bmEv2-rFA]President Bush's speech on the financial crisis 9/24/08 (1) - YouTube[/ame]

Your missing the larger structure.

In 1980 we placed a bet on the wealthy. We put the middle class on austerity so that we could direct massive new sums of wealth to the top earners in the hopes that it would result in robust economic growth. (The point of the Reagan Revolution was go "all in" behind the wealthy. The theory was that they would invest and grow the economy, and the resultant economic growth would translate into high wages and benefits for workers)

And yes, there was economic growth, but the high wages and benefits never materialized because the wealthy found it more profitable to have their goods made with the world's cheapest labor - in Communist China. (Indeed, Walmart has over 50% of its products made in China. Where do you think most of your clothes are made. Also, check the label on your Nike sneakers).

So ... the Reagan Revolution didn't grow jobs, it actually sped up Globalization in order to place more global resources in the hands of American producers. That is, it gave American producers access to the world's cheapest labor and cheapest raw materials. The result was massive profit on top. This is why corporations are now sitting on historic levels of cash.

But, what happened at the bottom as Americans lost jobs? Answer: we replaced their wages/benefits with credit cards and ever more exotic debt vehicles. Where did the banks get the capital to keep the middle class afloat on credit? Answer: from the wealthy, who basically started loaning the worker the money he used to make in wages.

This lead to 30 years of borrowing by American families. All this borrowing made them vulnerable to any economic downturn - meaning; they didn't have the savings to combat job loss, inflation or rising energy costs. It basically meant that one large economic disaster could bankrupt too many consumers.

And that's where we are now. The debt overhang is too large for consumers to consume. Therefore there is NO INCENTIVE for the historic level of capital on top to be invested into the economy. (If people don't have money to buy stuff, you can't invest)

And so... we're stuck.

And we can't fix it by giving more tax cuts to the suppliers who are already sitting on unprecedented levels of cash.

We have to fix demand. We have to unwind 30 years of austerity for consumers and go back to postwar FDR demand-centered policies.

You can't fix demand with supply side economics. You can't fix demand with austerity. This is why we are floundering. We are trying to apply Reaganomics to a demand-problem.

Last edited:

Your missing the larger structure.

In 1980 we placed a bet on the wealthy. We put the middle class on austerity so that we could direct massive new sums of wealth to the top earners in the hopes that it would result in robust economic growth. (The point of the Reagan Revolution was go "all in" behind the wealthy. The theory was that they would invest and grow the economy, and the resultant economic growth would translate into high wages and benefits for workers)

That's quite the strawman argument you've built there. Now I suppose you're going to build a whole point on it.

And yes, there was economic growth, but the high wages and benefits never materialized because the wealthy found it more profitable to have their goods made with the world's cheapest labor - in Communist China. (Indeed, Walmart has over 50% of its products made in China. Where do you think most of your clothes are made. Also, check the label on your Nike sneakers).

And the strawman get's beat on.

1. The deal was never supposed to provide "High Wages and Great Bennies" it was supposed to get our economy going. It definitely did that.

2. Companies moved production off-shore not because of Reaganomics, but because labor was cheaper and taxes were lower.

So ... the Reagan Revolution didn't grow jobs, it actually sped up Globalization in order to place more global resources in the hands of American producers. That is, it gave American producers access to the world's cheapest labor and cheapest raw materials. The result was massive profit on top. This is why corporations are now sitting on historic levels of cash.

Not in the least bit true.

But, what happened at the bottom as Americans lost jobs? Answer: we replaced their wages/benefits with credit cards and ever more exotic debt vehicles. Where did the banks get the capital to keep the middle class afloat on credit? Answer: from the wealthy, who basically started loaning the worker the money he used to make in wages.

American lost jobs in the housing bubble crisis of 2007. Are you trying to say that Reaganomics caused that?

This lead to 30 years of borrowing by American families. All this borrowing made them vulnerable to any economic downturn - meaning; they didn't have the savings to combat job loss, inflation or rising energy costs. It basically meant that one large economic disaster could bankrupt too many consumers.

No dude, americans borrowed because consumerism and optimism were the order of the day.

And that's where we are now. The debt overhang is too large for consumers to consume. Therefore there is NO INCENTIVE for the historic level of capital on top to be invested into the economy. (If people don't have money to buy stuff, you can't invest)

And so... we're stuck.

And we can't fix it by giving more tax cuts to the suppliers who are already sitting on unprecedented levels of cash.

We have to fix demand. We have to unwind 30 years of austerity for consumers and go back to postwar FDR demand-centered policies.

You can't fix demand with supply side economics. You can't fix demand with austerity. This is why we are floundering. We are trying to apply Reaganomics to a demand-problem.

Nice job beating up your strawman argument. Those of us who know something, aren't buying it.

I pity the young.

No amount of spin is going to make this a win for Republicans or for any other Americans. All Americans are not worse off because our elected officials have decided to kick the can down the road and refuse to man up and deal with our nations problems.

the problem, mac, is that to do that, they would have to respect government. you can't hate government and still govern. you can't have a positive message if you hate, with the intensity of a thousand suns, the thing you need to govern with.

it would be liking hiring a museum curator who hates museums and the collections they hold.

what we can hope is that this loony toon rightwing of the GOP will simply get shut down by normal conservatives who respect the power of government and want to use it wisely.

That has to be repeated over and over again.

:clap2:

The GOP won because they didn't let obamination have his press conference this morning telling everyone their taxes went up because the GOP blocked the bill.

Instead the bill passed and taxes are going up on the "rich" which will make the economy worse, another good deal for the GOP.

obamination can't blame Buuuuuuuuuush for the economy getting worse in 2013 after his tax plan was implemented.

The GOP now needs to block more spending with the debt limit and then go after the democraps in 2014.

I pity the young.

How does putting off the hard decisions work out well for the GOP? They've just delayed the inevitable, giving them more time to be portrayed as obstructionists. I don't see the upside, but it's their funeral! :dunno:

How does it work out for the GOP? Last night proved that the Dems are in total control. Whatever happens now, is on their watch and their shoulders. Given that they just increased spending by $4T on top of current spending, made no cuts whatsoever and let the payroll tax expire which increases 77% of American's tax burden by $1600 on average per year along with all the hidden taxes and fees in Obamacare, people's eyes are going to start opening to the load of shit they got shoveled by Obama and the media.

Forum List

Back